PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Do the Pats have room for 6 receivers ? Welker, Branch, LLoyd, Stallworth, Gonzales.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Do the Pats have room for 6 receivers ? Welker, Branch, LLoyd, Stallworth, Gonzal

You have a strange definition of "sweet."

It came out weird, but comeon, wouldn't you rather a receiver, that you know, can play receiver and return kicks/punts? Edelman is a useless WR/bad DB that returns punts.

Re: Do the Pats have room for 6 receivers ? Welker, Branch, LLoyd, Stallworth, Gonzal

There is a widespread belief that the actual IR rules may change this year, allowing a player originally placed on IR to return later in the season.
It wasn't passed, and it is much, much more limited than that as it was proposed.
It would not make sense for a guy who just didn't make the cut.
IIRC, it was only to be used for 1 player all season.

BUT, what if the Pats draft a receiver in the 2nd round ? I can definitely see it happening. There are several that fit the Patriot's mold for receivers, for instance, guys who play in Patriot's type of offenses (Like Notre Dame when Weiss was there, or Fresno State, etc), or smart type receivers who are good route runners. I can see a guy like Devon Wylie of Fresno State being a perfect fit (Welker size with 4.33 speed and a return man).

I'd be totally OK with that (but I don't like Floyd from Notre Dame and he probably won't make it to the Pats anyways). I'd be very surprised if they don't take some WR somewhere.

I really like Ryan Broyles from Oklahoma. He's a few months removed from an acl tear so he may not be totally good to go for training camp. But that also means he'll probably be available a round or two later than he normally would have been (maybe late 1st/early 2nd before the injury).

Joe Adams (Arkansas), Danny Coale (Virginia Tech) & Jordan White (Western Michigan) also intrigue me if we can get some day 3 picks to use on one of them.

I have almost 3000 posts over the past 10 years, and somehow it feels like most of them have be made on the this WR topic that keep popping up every other day. :rolleyes: The good news is that by now I have my thoughts on this topic thoroughly itemized so it doesn't take much time to post.

1. The Pats will keep only 5 WR this season, plus Slater - Any more in an offense that focuses so much on the TEs would make no sense.

2. Welker and Lloyd are the only locks, but Edelman's versatility makes him the next closest thing. The other 4 guys (Branch Ocho, Gonsales, and Underwood, plus the camp fodder) will fight for the other 2 positions.

3. I don't want to draft any WRs because any the the Pats might draft won't be better THIS YEAR than the top 7 guys we already have on the roster. Yes I recognize the need to get younger at the position, but that can be done in NEXT year's draft and FA,

4. I don't like Branch's chances because he can't separate against man or tight zone coverages, and the Pats don't see much of the soft zones that he excels at any more. He can only play one of the WR positions and doesn't play special teams.

5. I don't understand the Edelman hate as a WR. He had 2nd best rookie year of any WR in the BB era (Branch had about 80 yds more in more snaps), best if you count the playoffs. He is a better receiver now than he was then. People keep penalizing him because he plays behind the most productive WR of the last 5 years.

BTW-when the next WR thread gets started in a few days, would someone be a pal and just cut and paste this, so I can save some time yet still keep my posts up. You know I'm almost in the "starting line up". So I got that going for me.....I think. ;)

Last edited:

Ultimately we are a TE heavy set team so it doesn't matter which WR's we have but dont get your hopes up on the pats drafting a wide out. We have people that have connections or have previously proven themselves. let camp come and may the best WR win out.

It came out weird, but comeon, wouldn't you rather a receiver, that you know, can play receiver and return kicks/punts? Edelman is a useless WR/bad DB that returns punts.

He's the back-up slot receiver. He's a good 5th DB who also was the best kick-returner AND punt returner the Pats had. Plus he played on the kick coverage units.

Never say never, I'm a big fan of ocho but there's a good chance he gets cut. MUCH better chance Branch makes it than ocho. You say Branch disappeared at the end of the year? Ocho was nowhere to be found the ENTIRE season. And I'd be shocked if underwood made it over Branch.....and Gonzo probably goes on IR during preseason.

In this case I WILL say NEVER. Do you know why? Because it's bad business to cut a veteran after he's already re-worked his deal to stay with the team.

3. I don't want to draft any WRs because any the the Pats might draft won't be better THIS YEAR than the top 7 guys we already have on the roster. Yes I recognize the need to get younger at the position, but that can be done in NEXT year's draft.

So you think a 3rd round WR such as Greg Childs or Marvin Jones wouldn't be better than Branch, Ocho, Stallworth, Gonzalez, and Underwood?

He's not a useless WR. He's a useless non-slot WR. He's the direct backup to Welker. That 5th WR isn't going to get any snaps without injuries anyway, so being solely a backup isn't really a bad thing. If the 5th WR were somebody like Branch or Gonzalez, then there'd be no point in even having him active on game day. With Edelman, you get a guy who can help out on STs and defense in a pinch even when everybody ahead of him is healthy.

In this case I WILL say NEVER. Do you know why? Because it's bad business to cut a veteran after he's already re-worked his deal to stay with the team.

He didn't exactly rework his deal to stay with the team, he took a paycut instead of being cut in order to get a chance to come to camp and make the team.

He's not a useless WR. He's a useless non-slot WR. He's the direct backup to Welker. That 5th WR isn't going to get any snaps without injuries anyway, so being solely a backup isn't really a bad thing. If the 5th WR were somebody like Branch or Gonzalez, then there'd be no point in even having him active on game day. With Edelman, you get a guy who can help out on STs and defense in a pinch even when everybody ahead of him is healthy.

Considering Slater, the 6th WR/ST, has seen snaps in the AFCCG, a 5th WR could see snaps. Edelman can be upgraded IMO, someone like Joe Adams could be the backup slot WR, return punts, but also offer something more for the offense.

I'd really like to see Stallworth make the team. I've always liked the guy, despite the fact that he made a horrendous mistake, which is an understatement to say the least. I know Brady was a big supporter of his during his troubled period. I'm rooting for him.

I think he can still play too. He lit us up last year, although that isn't saying much saying the state of our secondary. He's still got speed and could help defenses honest as long as he has rapport with Brady on the field.

Ideally I'd like this for WR:

1. Lloyd
2. Welker
3. Branch
4. Stallworth
5. Late round rookie (taken somewhere after the third round preferably).

And then Slater and Edelman as flex-players/special teams/reserves.

I'd really like to see Stallworth make the team. I've always liked the guy, despite the fact that he made a horrendous mistake, which is an understatement to say the least. I know Brady was a big supporter of his during his troubled period. I'm rooting for him.

I think he can still play too. He lit us up last year, although that isn't saying much saying the state of our secondary. He's still got speed and could help defenses honest as long as he has rapport with Brady on the field.

Ideally I'd like this for WR:

1. Lloyd
2. Welker
3. Branch
4. Stallworth
5. Late round rookie (taken somewhere after the third round preferably).

And then Slater and Edelman as flex-players/special teams/reserves.

Dont know why but i'd really like to see gonzalez in our system. Who would lose out to him? IDK. But it would be interesting to see nonetheless. If he doesn't make it then i would be content with the lineup you posted above.

And Stallworth made a mistake.And you know the guy was remorseful. Its not like he didn't care at all. Furthermore, he still has speed and he's what? barely over 30 and he excelled in our system before. Sure he didn't post amazing numbers in 07 but when you have welker and moss who were killing it that year could you blame him? He was still a reliable option that year. now you add in our TE's.... Can't wait to see this offense take the field!

So you think a 3rd round WR such as Greg Childs or Marvin Jones wouldn't be better than Branch, Ocho, Stallworth, Gonzalez, and Underwood?
No I emphatically don't. What have they done in college that matches up what the guys on our roster have done in the NFL. Now it could be possible that the 2 guys you mention might have good careers in the NFL, but NEITHER, if drafted by the Pats would make a bigger impact than the guys we already have. No Rookie WR has EVER had a big impact in the BB era, and no rookie has ever come on to a team so deep already.

However if you want to draft Broyles with the last pick the Pats take, you have my blessing just as long as he gets the IR flu before camp breaks.

Considering Slater, the 6th WR/ST, has seen snaps in the AFCCG, a 5th WR could see snaps. Edelman can be upgraded IMO, someone like Joe Adams could be the backup slot WR, return punts, but also offer something more for the offense.
I'd rather select Ryan Broyles, wide receiver from Oklahoma than Joe Adams, wide receiver from Arkansas. Ryan Broyles is physically bigger and stronger than Joe Adams. Since Ryan Broyles is recovering from a torn ACL, the New England Patriots may opt to conveniently place him on IR.

Last edited:

I think Lloyd, Ocho, Welker will get top 3 spots, unless ocho is still stupid...or just old now.
I don't think branch can get cut....if he is in danger of losing a spot they'll probably PUP him.
and stallworth #5...but stallworth is more wishful thinking of him returning to blazing speed form... and he really has no value to the team.
so in reality stallworth is probably getting cut.

edelman has to make it as he can play WR/DB
F'n Slater making millions as a S/T would be nice if he could be a decent backup....

Gonz on PUP (duh)

this post sucks.

In conclusion
2 TE 3 WR set will be awesome.... Ochocinco? Welker Llyod Hernandez Gronk
mmmm

I think Lloyd, Ocho, Welker will get top 3 spots, unless ocho is still stupid...or just old now.
I don't think branch can get cut....if he is in danger of losing a spot they'll probably PUP him.
and stallworth #5...but stallworth is more wishful thinking of him returning to blazing speed form... and he really has no value to the team.
so in reality stallworth is probably getting cut.

edelman has to make it as he can play WR/DB
F'n Slater making millions as a S/T would be nice if he could be a decent backup....

Gonz on PUP (duh)

this post sucks.

In conclusion
2 TE 3 WR set will be awesome.... Ochocinco? Welker Llyod Hernandez Gronk
mmmm

I agree with almost all of your WR predictions, at least at this point in time.

It's a win win situation either way you look at it.

Wes Welker, a steady superstar, and multiple-time probowler who continuously builds his legend as top 5 gamer of this generation at his position. He stays without question. A trade will not even be entertained.

Brandon Lloyd entales a possible block buster signing if he produces like that of what he did as a Denver Bronco. Not to mention that he's made some of the most spectacular catches you'll ever see and has very unique concentration abilities. In addition, his chemistry with Josh McDaniels will be an emaculent connection.

Anthony Gonzalez if can stay healthy, is a legimate steal. His ability to go both vertical and intermediate are invaluable and can create opportunies for other receivers during the course of a play. As a Colt when on the field, he was one of Peyton Manning's favorite targets with his good size, speed, routing running and much needed versatility. If he can stay healthy, then theres definitely room for him on the team. Very underestimated football player.

Deion Branch the ever-so reliable, dependable crafty veteran and talented route runner with sure hands and great knowledge of the system. Hut how much does he have left? I think he can still contribute.

Chad Ochocinco may actually be ready to get back to what he does best after a rough start in New England.

Donte Stallworth still possesses track-runner speed and knowledge of McDaniel's system. Additionally, he presents a threat of stretching the field which is something much needed.

Julian Edelman looks to remain the multi-talented all purpose football player who can line up at slot on both sides of the ball and produce unlike no other on special teams.

Matthew Slater is an average reciever that brings versatility and productivity on special teams.

It's a win win situation either way you look at it.

Wes Welker, a steady superstar, and multiple-time probowler who continuously builds his legend as top 5 gamer of this generation at his position. He stays without question. A trade will not even be entertained.

Brandon Lloyd entales a possible block buster signing if he produces like that of what he did as a Denver Bronco. Not to mention that he's made some of the most spectacular catches you'll ever see and has very unique concentration abilities. In addition, his chemistry with Josh McDaniels will be an emaculent connection.

Anthony Gonzalez if can stay healthy, is a legimate steal. His ability to go both vertical and intermediate are invaluable and can create opportunies for other receivers during the course of a play. As a Colt when on the field, he was one of Peyton Manning's favorite targets with his good size, speed, routing running and much needed versatility. If he can stay healthy, then theres definitely room for him on the team. Very underestimated football player.

Deion Branch the ever-so reliable, dependable crafty veteran and talented route runner with sure hands and great knowledge of the system. Hut how much does he have left? I think he can still contribute.

Chad Ochocinco may actually be ready to get back to what he does best after a rough start in New England.

Donte Stallworth still possesses track-runner speed and knowledge of McDaniel's system. Additionally, he presents a threat of stretching the field which is something much needed.

Julian Edelman looks to remain the multi-talented all purpose football player who can line up at slot on both sides of the ball and produce unlike no other on special teams.

Matthew Slater is an average reciever that brings versatility and productivity on special teams.

You actually had me over here, cheering--until I read the last line.

I agree with everything except Slater being an 'average WR,' he needs to stick to ST hopefully.

Can Gonzelez really stretch the field and offer as a deep threat? I watched every one of his college games, but maybe I have been underestimating his skillset. I don't think he's got great size though, he's pretty average in that dept.

I'm going to guess and hope that your assessment is right about every one but Gonzo and Slater, which is pretty damn good still.

Good post overall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back