PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Do the pats have any weaknesses?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course the team has weaknesses, but there are a couple of things to consider:

1) They can be mitigated with the right gameplan

I don't believe this is a very good run blocking team (at least not when they are in a base/spread formation...pretty good at getting tough yards when they need to).

The short passing game can be used to mitigate this. Use the spread to get the D in nickel/dime and throw 5 yard slants, outs and screens. The receivers (including TEs and backs) and QB that the Pats have make this as safe and effective as the best running game. Once the D is softened up and backed off, the run blocking can be much more effective (which is something Maroney never seems to get to take advantage of).

2) Other teams must be able to exploit the weaknesses

What team has the skill players to force the Pats into a formation that they don't want to be in? What team has the linemen that can get pressure on Brady while dropping 7 in coverage? What team has the DBs to play press coverage so that they can blitz Brady? What team has coaches that can come up with a gameplan to keep the Pats from getting off to a quick start? What team has coaches that can make in-game adjustments to knock the Pats out of their early comfort zone? What team can do all this for 60 minutes?

Not many teams have any of these things, much less more than one. The Colts did the best job and were the most effective...however, they sold their soul to contain the Pats' offense and the contract ran out after 50 minutes.

Here's the thing to remember, as I see it:

When the Pats' offense comes out for the very first snap, and Brady lines up in shotgun formation with 3 or 4 wide, the opposition finds itself on it's heels immediately!!!!!! That is a stunning phenomenon! Before the first snap, we have them at a mental disadvantage before any changes can be made. We have them where we want them, and we haven't done a damn thing yet!

Given this, any option that is theoretically on the table can be executed, at our discretion. How many teams in the history of the game have been able to do that, at will, I might add?

This offensive juggernaut can, and does, cover any number of shortcomings, with the consequence that we've become every defensive coordinator's worst nightmare come true.

Weaknesses, such as they are, are an issue to be dealt with after the season, and given our status in the draft, I think we'll be able to do that very well, thank you.

Are we a "single injury" from catastrophe? Maybe. But maybe not. Obviously, Cassel is not Brady, but should Brady go down, and teams and their DCs think the worst is over and stack 8 in the box, I have a feeling deep down inside that this WR crew of all-stars would simply step up to accommodate Cassel's perceived shortcomings quite well.

I'd rather not find that out first hand, of course, but it's something to think about....

I consider our weakness to be;

1) Running game - without Sammy Morris I do not believe we have a reliable go to back if we needed to depend on the run game, say in bad weather.

2) Punting - our punter does not get enough reps, good problem to have, and I do not he is a top tier punter that Josh Miller was.

3) Linebackers - Seau and Tedy did not magically get younger. If an opponent could force them to cover a slot receiver they would have problems.

4) Offensive Tackles - Matthis and Freeney put a lot of pressure on Tom.

5) Defensive tackling at times is poor.

6) Hobbs can give up the big play/penalty with his aggressiveness.

I do not think any of these items are major. I think our passing offensive is so explosive it covers our minor weaknesses.

Many teams would kill to have such minuscule problems as their biggest concerns. It's nice to look at a 10-0 team and try to find some faults or room for improvement .....I'm sure Aqua and other Dolphins' fans would give their flippers to have those problems as issue #1 ......

I would say we don't know yet if we have any weaknesses. Our running game hasn't looked so hot lately and our #1 back, Maroney, seems very fragile. So far, it hasn't hurt us as we have been up by so many points in every game. If we get some bad weather where Brady can't pass, not sure what will happen.

PS - here in southern NH it has been cold and snowy all morning, so I guess we will find out soon enough!

Maybe this thread should have been called - "how can our great team get even better?" because too many of the posts here are comparing the Pats to some ideal football team, not the others that actually play in the NFL.

No Morris, and LoMo out for 3 games - yet guess what? The Patriots are 5TH in the entire NFL rushing yards per game. 5TH out of 32 is hardly the sign of trouble, or weakness. Three of the teams ahead of them, Jax, Tenn, and the Vikes, all have QB issues and thus are forced to rush the ball more. The other team ahead, Pitt, is the only one sporting a top-of-line QB (Pitt is 20th in pass yds/game, BTW). The running game is far from a weakness. In fact, it is a strength.

Tackling issues? I'll admit to buying into this misconception myself at times, because they could have tackled better at times. But perfection is not part of reality. The Pats are 3rd in the NFL in points allowed/game. That's awfully good when you consider that other teams have been forced to try and score a lot of points to keep up. You say the points per game hides the tackling issue since we bend but don't break? Not so fast because the Pats are also 3rd in the league yards allowed/game! How could we be poor tacklers yet only trail 2 other teams (Pitt, Indy) in yards surrendered? Especially since our opponents have to throw the ball more than usual which most often means more yards given up.

We may be asking for the moon...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back