PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Do the pats have any weaknesses?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Misleading stat. Passing game gives us a big running game. If we are forced to run it and the passing game is sputtering we are screwed.

Really? The Patriots are? What proof do you have of that? When have the Pats been in that position where its shown?

Listen, your speculation is so far out there and you have nothing to support your claims. Certainly not fact.

Last edited:
Last time I checked neither beli not scott was perfect. This is an Internet forum for fans to discuss the pats. That includes criticism. Our running game is nothing spectacular considering the O we have.

I get it , we are just supposed to sit around patting ourselves on the back all day long :rolleyes:

Nope. No one is saying that. What people like myself and Deus Irae are saying is that you have to put things into perspective and look at the whole picture. Something that you insist on NOT doing.

The Pats running game is 4th in the league when you include all the kneel downs. When you ignore the runs by the QB, the Pats running game has 288 rushes for 1271 yards. That a 4.41 YPC. Only our #2 FB has a YPC less than 3. Faulk, Maroney and Morris have YPC at 4.5 or greater.

So, how do you figure that the running game isn't good?

Could there be an issue? Yes. One that was being pointed out by myself and others before the season started. I was concerned with the depth because of Faulk's injury history. Because Maroney was coming back off a serious shoulder injury. The one good thing was that Morris had never been injured.. Well, he got injured.

And, before you go claiming that Morris was just a JAG, Morris, when given the chance to start, played extremely well. Both in Miami and in Buffalo. The problem was that in both places, they looked at him as a complimentary back and not a full time starter. Which isn't a bad thing.

Nope. No one is saying that. What people like myself and Deus Irae are saying is that you have to put things into perspective and look at the whole picture. Something that you insist on NOT doing.

The Pats running game is 4th in the league when you include all the kneel downs. When you ignore the runs by the QB, the Pats running game has 288 rushes for 1271 yards. That a 4.41 YPC. Only our #2 FB has a YPC less than 3. Faulk, Maroney and Morris have YPC at 4.5 or greater.

So, how do you figure that the running game isn't good?

Could there be an issue? Yes. One that was being pointed out by myself and others before the season started. I was concerned with the depth because of Faulk's injury history. Because Maroney was coming back off a serious shoulder injury. The one good thing was that Morris had never been injured.. Well, he got injured.

And, before you go claiming that Morris was just a JAG, Morris, when given the chance to start, played extremely well. Both in Miami and in Buffalo. The problem was that in both places, they looked at him as a complimentary back and not a full time starter. Which isn't a bad thing.

I dont think we have a bad running game. I do think it is not as powerful as the stats imply though. I just dont see that explosive running game Maroney was supposed to bring us. Things can get bad fast. Faulk goes down and Maroney gets dinged we are screwed. I love Sammy. Shame he got hurt like he did.

I am not advocating the trade of Maroney. Dont think he is a bust. I do think we need to draft a pure pounder next year. Maroney has a lot talent but IMO he is a injury concern. Maroney, Morris ( insert pounder) and Faulk on third down would make a perfect platoon for us I think.

I would never burn a top pick on a back. I am talking using Oaklands pick type of deal. Depending on what we get when we trade out this year of course.

Maybe the kid from Oregon?

Last edited:
Weaknesses are relative to the opposition. If the Colts still had Freeney and the Pats had to play them in Indianapolis, we could talk about relative weaknesses. But Freeney is out and the Colts will have to come to Foxboro if they even get that far.

With the exception of that game, the Pats have crushed the competition every week. No other team right now is close.

Barring significant injury, this team has no weaknesses that any other team is in any position to exploit.

If you ever dreamed of being a Bears fan in '85, dream no more. This is what it's like. Enjoy it!

Last edited:
Patriots weaknesses?

Lack of depth at linebacker and especially cornerback:

Asante Samuel
Ellis Hobbs
Randall Gay
???????????

The aforementioned three defensive backs better stay healthy for the remainder of the season.

I dont think we have a bad running game. I do think it is not as powerful as the stats imply though.
I just dont see that explosive running game Maroney was supposed to bring us. Things can get bad fast. Faulk goes down and Maroney gets dinged we are screwed. I love Sammy. Shame he got hurt like he did.

You seem to be back-pedalling now. Your previous post said that the Patriots would be screwed if they had to rely on the running game. Now you are throwing in all sorts of stipulations (Maroney going down, faulk getting hurt).

The Pats wouldn't be screwed. They'd be in a bad situation. But one they've been in before and had success with. And their WRs weren't nearly as good then as they are now.

I am not advocating the trade of Maroney. Dont think he is a bust. I do think we need to draft a pure pounder next year. Maroney has a lot talent but IMO he is a injury concern. Maroney, Morris ( insert pounder) and Faulk on third down would make a perfect platoon for us I think.

I would never burn a top pick on a back. I am talking using Oaklands pick type of deal. Depending on what we get when we trade out this year of course.

Maybe the kid from Oregon?

You were advocating using the top pick on McFadden.. Now you are backtracking and saying to use a later pick..

They Pats could, very well, draft someone next year. They could also acquire someone like Mewelde Moore, Justin Fargas, or Fred Taylor. None of that matters in the now, though.

For now, the Pats have Faulk, Maroney, Evans and Eckel. Faulk didn't as a precautionary measure because of the leagues new rules on concussions. Maroney was left on the bench to keep him healthy since the game was more than well in hand.

Backup quarterback. One injury and the Pats go from "all world"

to average.

You guys are all missing the obvious weakness:

The Pats don't have the refs on the payroll like some teams do.

The one game where the Pats were threatened this year had more to do with consistently biased officiating than with anything else. I think the refs are the one thing that can stop this juggernaut.

yes the Biased officials don't like the pats.

that is the weakness. it's a pretty big one too.

You seem to be back-pedalling now. Your previous post said that the Patriots would be screwed if they had to rely on the running game. Now you are throwing in all sorts of stipulations (Maroney going down, faulk getting hurt).

The Pats wouldn't be screwed. They'd be in a bad situation. But one they've been in before and had success with. And their WRs weren't nearly as good then as they are now.

You were advocating using the top pick on McFadden.. Now you are backtracking and saying to use a later pick..

They Pats could, very well, draft someone next year. They could also acquire someone like Mewelde Moore, Justin Fargas, or Fred Taylor. None of that matters in the now, though.

For now, the Pats have Faulk, Maroney, Evans and Eckel. Faulk didn't as a precautionary measure because of the leagues new rules on concussions. Maroney was left on the bench to keep him healthy since the game was more than well in hand.

Once again you have the wrong guy. I was saying NOT to pick Mcfadden. You must not have read a single post I made about it yesterday.

Instead of sitting around trying to prove things I said wrong , or trying to call me out on things I said in the past ( which you are not very good at because I never said to pick up Mcfadden). Why dont you just respond to the post at hand. Clearly you dont follow my posts as you are pretty much making up things I said.

Seems like you are a very insecure man.

Last edited:
yes the Biased officials don't like the pats.

that is the weakness. it's a pretty big one too.

Brilliant. Plus, no rep from the NEP is on the Competition Committee.

Otherwise, I agree with rabthepat's analysis.

If no one is injured, we have no weaknesses, except at short yardage running back. Evans as the runner and Seau at fullback could use improvement.

With injuries, we have a serious lack of depth at QB, RB, and LB. This lack of depth is by choice. the Front Office made their decisions on these issues in the offseason. We chose to have to two inexperienced QB's as backups. We decided to limit the team to four running backs, with no H-back, and no RB on the Practice Squad. We chose to limit ourselves to five linebackers and three special teamers who are listed at linebacker. The choices were made in developing the roster. All three decisions were questionrd on this board throughout the offseason. Obviously, the decisions with regard to depth ahve worked so far.

Once again you have the wrong guy. I was saying NOT to pick Mcfadden. You must not have read a single post I made about it yesterday.

Instead of sitting around trying to prove things I said wrong , or trying to call me out on things I said in the past ( which you are not very good at because I never said to pick up Mcfadden). Why dont you just respond to the post at hand. Clearly you dont follow my posts as you are pretty much making up things I said.

Seems like you are a very insecure man.

I did respond to the post at hand. You might want to actually read instead of getting all defensive about it. You clearly are back-pedalling from your stance in this thread where you said that the Pats would be screwed if they had to rely on the rush.

Danny88 said:
Misleading stat. Passing game gives us a big running game. If we are forced to run it and the passing game is sputtering we are screwed.

Then you turn around and say this:

Danny88 said:
I dont think we have a bad running game. I do think it is not as powerful as the stats imply though. I just dont see that explosive running game Maroney was supposed to bring us. Things can get bad fast. Faulk goes down and Maroney gets dinged we are screwed. I love Sammy. Shame he got hurt like he did.

That is clearly back-pedalling on your part after you get called out. You insist on putting in stipulations to try and soften your stance.

Also, you are the last person to tell others about not being good at calling people out since you blatantly lied yesterday regarding my opinion on Meriweather.

Oh.. And I do apologize for confusing you with NSA regarding drafting McFadden. You two share so many of the same opinions on Maroney its hard to tell you apart.

"Classiness"

I agree. It's not classy to win, and it's certainly not classy to win big. Remember the '85 Bears? Totally classless. They swept through the playoffs by a score of about 120-10. Can you believe that? Bunch of A-holes. I'd put an asterisk next to their name.

QB depth..................

I consider our weakness to be;

1) Running game - without Sammy Morris I do not believe we have a reliable go to back if we needed to depend on the run game, say in bad weather.

2) Punting - our punter does not get enough reps, good problem to have, and I do not he is a top tier punter that Josh Miller was.

3) Linebackers - Seau and Tedy did not magically get younger. If an opponent could force them to cover a slot receiver they would have problems.

4) Offensive Tackles - Matthis and Freeney put a lot of pressure on Tom.

5) Defensive tackling at times is poor.

6) Hobbs can give up the big play/penalty with his aggressiveness.

I do not think any of these items are major. I think our passing offensive is so explosive it covers our minor weaknesses.

Disagree on #4. Playing in the deaf dome at Indy, the DEs have a half step before the OTs know the ball is snapped.

Disagree on #1 -- would characterize as an unknown. They have not had to win on the ground.

I also think we need to think less in terms of traditional run vs pass -- the Pats are "running" in many different ways with different people.

Disagree on #3 -- I agree they could get younger, but are fine now with what they have.

I did respond to the post at hand. You might want to actually read instead of getting all defensive about it. You clearly are back-pedalling from your stance in this thread where you said that the Pats would be screwed if they had to rely on the rush.

Then you turn around and say this:

That is clearly back-pedalling on your part after you get called out. You insist on putting in stipulations to try and soften your stance.

Also, you are the last person to tell others about not being good at calling people out since you blatantly lied yesterday regarding my opinion on Meriweather.

Oh.. And I do apologize for confusing you with NSA regarding drafting McFadden. You two share so many of the same opinions on Maroney its hard to tell you apart.

I have retreated from my stance on drafting McFadden. Although I believe he will be a STUD and far superior to Glass(which is not hard to do), I do believe there is more value in trading out of the top 5 and picking up extra picks to help other areas of need like LB, CB, and the O-Line(you can NEVER have enough depth). I do feel we can get a RB better than Glass(again, not saying much) in the 2nd or 3rd rd.

Of course the team has weaknesses, but there are a couple of things to consider:

1) They can be mitigated with the right gameplan

I don't believe this is a very good run blocking team (at least not when they are in a base/spread formation...pretty good at getting tough yards when they need to).

The short passing game can be used to mitigate this. Use the spread to get the D in nickel/dime and throw 5 yard slants, outs and screens. The receivers (including TEs and backs) and QB that the Pats have make this as safe and effective as the best running game. Once the D is softened up and backed off, the run blocking can be much more effective (which is something Maroney never seems to get to take advantage of).

2) Other teams must be able to exploit the weaknesses

What team has the skill players to force the Pats into a formation that they don't want to be in? What team has the linemen that can get pressure on Brady while dropping 7 in coverage? What team has the DBs to play press coverage so that they can blitz Brady? What team has coaches that can come up with a gameplan to keep the Pats from getting off to a quick start? What team has coaches that can make in-game adjustments to knock the Pats out of their early comfort zone? What team can do all this for 60 minutes?

Not many teams have any of these things, much less more than one. The Colts did the best job and were the most effective...however, they sold their soul to contain the Pats' offense and the contract ran out after 50 minutes.

I think our number 7 (out of 32) ranked running game is our weakness. :bricks:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back