PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Do the pats have any weaknesses?

Status
Not open for further replies.

giogalindo

Rookie
Reaction score
as a person who doesn't watch many patriot games, it seems to me that they have absolutely no weaknesses. am i right or do i not see something that you guys do?

I think our weakness is at RB. Then again, I'm not sure because we haven't really needed one. Half the time I can't tell if Maroney is hurt or if we just don't need him.

LB depth.........

I consider our weakness to be;

1) Running game - without Sammy Morris I do not believe we have a reliable go to back if we needed to depend on the run game, say in bad weather.

2) Punting - our punter does not get enough reps, good problem to have, and I do not he is a top tier punter that Josh Miller was.

3) Linebackers - Seau and Tedy did not magically get younger. If an opponent could force them to cover a slot receiver they would have problems.

4) Offensive Tackles - Matthis and Freeney put a lot of pressure on Tom.

5) Defensive tackling at times is poor.

6) Hobbs can give up the big play/penalty with his aggressiveness.

I do not think any of these items are major. I think our passing offensive is so explosive it covers our minor weaknesses.

This team's only major weakness is a portion of the fan base that complains when their team is 10-0, thinks it's smarter than Belioli in the personnel department as well as being better at calling the plays than any coordinator the team has ever had, and is so spoiled that a regular season game with a little bit of pressure (Colts) and suspense caused widespread panic.

The closest team related thing to a weakness would probably be the question mark at backup QB.

as of right now? this minute? no weaknesses wutsover....

later on though, LB depth, RB situation, Brady's health MAY become a weakness......

highly doubtable though

Sportsmanship. ;)

"Classiness"

running game

The Pats are fourth in the NFL in total rushing yards this season.

Average of 4.2 yards per carry, which is serviceable, especially considering it includes three or four knees per game plus slamming a backup into the pile during the 4th quarter.

This team's only major weakness is a portion of the fan base that complains when their team is 10-0, thinks it's smarter than Belioli in the personnel department as well as being better at calling the plays than any coordinator the team has ever had, and is so spoiled that a regular season game with a little bit of pressure (Colts) and suspense caused widespread panic.

The closest team related thing to a weakness would probably be the question mark at backup QB.

excellent post Deus ! we win 56-10 and like about 25% of posts are about the Pats "problems".

do we have a Jim Brown " ...no...but we have been running well all year.

Agree! Well said.

Well said, now if we could get the naysayers like Callahan, Felger and some of the rest of the media people who say stupid things for the ratings to believe this, there would be peace on the land.

as a person who doesn't watch many patriot games, it seems to me that they have absolutely no weaknesses. am i right or do i not see something that you guys do?

Biggest weakness I see is the future. I'm a little concerned that this year, we have no 1st round draft choi.......... Oh wait, yes we do, we have yours........... :D

Seriously, we have a few things that certainly need improvement, but for a team that has played 10 games, 9 of which have been complete blowouts, there is not a whole lot that could be considered "weaknesses".

If I had to pick one, I'd say RB depth (not performance). We get enough yards to augment the passing game, but we certainly are a touch thin there. It obvioulsy has not presented much of a problem as yet, but I'm sure most fans would feel a little more comfortable with a consistantly healthy everydown back.

Last edited:
I consider our weakness to be;

1) Running game - without Sammy Morris I do not believe we have a reliable go to back if we needed to depend on the run game, say in bad weather.

2) Punting - our punter does not get enough reps, good problem to have, and I do not he is a top tier punter that Josh Miller was.

3) Linebackers - Seau and Tedy did not magically get younger. If an opponent could force them to cover a slot receiver they would have problems.

4) Offensive Tackles - Matthis and Freeney put a lot of pressure on Tom.

5) Defensive tackling at times is poor.

6) Hobbs can give up the big play/penalty with his aggressiveness.

I do not think any of these items are major. I think our passing offensive is so explosive it covers our minor weaknesses.

Good analysis. The lack of a running game could be major in sloppy conditions or, heaven forbid, if Brady has to leave a game.

The Pats are fourth in the NFL in total rushing yards this season.

Average of 4.2 yards per carry, which is serviceable, especially considering it includes three or four knees per game plus slamming a backup into the pile during the 4th quarter.

Misleading stat. Passing game gives us a big running game. If we are forced to run it and the passing game is sputtering we are screwed.

60% percent of the people on this thread are nuts! First of all we are 4th in rushing this season not last like some of you may think. Don't look at the back look at the result. Second for the last god damn time Matt Light is having a pro bowl season. Freeney, Taylor, Shoebel, & D Ware haven't so much as sniffed Brady this year so check your facts before you start throwing him under the bus. Brady's health, this was a funny one, do you really think he is hurt if you think thats true I have a bridge to sell you! He has been throwing the ball around like he has a cannon strapped to his arm and some of you think he needs Tommy John Surgery! Hobbs has given up how many big plays?? 1!! and he was on the guy like glue he just over ran/fell down. 2 weeks ago was the first play let up over 40 yds (Addai play) and it had little to do with Hobbs. Do you watch the games?? please let me know cause it don't look like it. The only decent point I saw was on depth issues at RB and LB which are legit concerns other than that I would say our only game play weakness is we are too nice to the opposition and ease up in the fourth when we should be piling on more :bricks:

I don't see the running game as an issue for two reasons: 1) it's not bad (it's just not great), and 2) the short passing game compensates. If NE really needs 3 yards they can get it passing 90% of the time. And Brady has proven this to still work in the cold and snow.

The biggest weaknesses as I see them are CB #2 (Ellis Hobbs) and defensive speed.

Hobbs isn't awful, but he has awful games. The fact that NE has a really good back-up (Gay) and BB is a smart man tells me he knows what he's doing when he leaves Hobbs in there. The one thing I will not blame Hobbs for is PIs. Maybe I could blame him for the fact that whenever refs want to call egregious PIs they usually wait for a ball to go his way.

The defense overall lacks speed. Guys are typically in position and do a good job of tackling, but Lord help them if a fast guy is hit in stride in the open field. The Addai run is a poor example because that was more due to poor tackling and in illegal block. LDT in the playoffs last year sticks out. The defense seems to compensate for this well and you don't see too many of these plays, but when it happens it's noticeable.

Any other weaknesses are really nit-picky. TE depth leaves a bit to be desired (though they use Hochstein as an extra blocking TE and always have Vrabel for goal line).

It'd be nice to have a dynamic ILB like Bruschi used to be. Lack of one isn't really a weakness, though. Hopefully Adalius Thomas (who still looks scary at OLB) becomes this guy.

Another ILB would be really nice (like a young player who doesn't expect playing time but could fill in if the need arose). Thomas, Seau, and Bruschi is great as long as no one gets hurt.

Does Seymour's injury history count as a weakness?

Back-up QB has looked shaky, but given Brady's track record we won't be needing one.

Sheesh, I'm having a hard time nit-picking. This team has quality starters and depth everywhere. We're really spoiled.

Last time I checked neither beli not scott was perfect. This is an Internet forum for fans to discuss the pats. That includes criticism. Our running game is nothing spectacular considering the O we have.

I get it , we are just supposed to sit around patting ourselves on the back all day long :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Last time I checked neither beli not scott was perfect. This is an Internet forum for fans to discuss the pats. That includes criticism. Our running game is nothing spectacular considering the O we have.

I get it , we are just supposed to sit around patting ourselves on the back all day long :rolleyes:

give that guy a cigar he just got it!! we are 10-0 and are going to win the Division with 5 weeks to spare there is no reason to hate and nit pick. I am not saying you can't I am just saying it sounds silly to do so

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes