PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Do the Patriots still serve to free agents as an attractive place to play?

Status
Not open for further replies.
the only fa bill is interested in signing are the ones who are just looking for a place to prove they can bring something to the table and are driven to help a team win. If you ask me we've attracted too may fa in the last couple of seasons who are looking for a team to make them look good in the process of winning.

+1.....................

Remember years ago when the Pats were at the top of the ladder in the NFL where Free Agents desperately wanted to come in and be signed as a member of the Winning Patriots tradition,even if it meant taking a contract with less money and shorter contract than another team offered?.

Does this team going into 2010 season still possess the 'aura' and 'attractiveness' for top free agents to want to come and play here?

Lets be a bit unbiased here as if to analyze this from a sports writers prospective,not a Patriots homer perspective,O.K.?

Along with others, I smile when you ask us to be "unbiased...from a sports writers [sic] perspective". I'm sure that outside New England even Reiss, who is as close to unbiased as I can dredge up, is regarded as a homer. Sportswriters are driven to report what will keep them in print, in front of the cameras and in their jobs.

I have two comments on the substance of your question:

1) If you're referring to the 2005--2007 seasons, following the 2003/04 back to back SB's, then, I guess the answer would be "Yes, FA's who placed a premium on trying to get a ring would probably give preference to the Pats, assuming that the rest of the deal worked for them even it fell a little short of what they thought they could earn elsewhere."

If you're referring to 2008, right after the 18--1 season, then I think the answer was still probably "Yes," but that the aura of SB invincibility was gone.

Now, I think there's still a premium on playing for the Pats but, since the last Trophy came this way over five years ago, my guess is that they have fallen back into a pack with the Colts, Steelers, Cowboys, Eagles and a few other teams with owners who are committed to competing for a SB year after year.

2) I think, though, that every FA is different.

The more a player is attuned to the "business side" of the NFL, the more likely he is to want to go where the money is greatest. Unlike others out here, I don't disrespect that view. NFL careers are short (the average is 3.5 years or something) and can end on any play any day, whether in a game or on the practice field (Welker's injury could have happened during practice--and, let's face it, the likelihood of a WR coming back to his former level from that injury is a lot lower than it is for a QB who isn't planting and cutting on every play). So, if a guy is talented and takes the view that no one is going to take care of him if he doesn't take care of himself, I think that's perfectly reasonable.

If a guy has already made a boatload of money and/or if he is more attuned to the "history side" of the NFL, then maybe he'll take less to play on a team that is part of the winning history of the NFL, where he might pick up some bling himself.

But, I don't think the latter is "better" in any way than the former.

Lets be a bit unbiased here as if to analyze this from a sports writers prospective,not a Patriots homer perspective,O.K.?

From this alone you're implying that saying the Patriots don't serve as an attractive free agent landing spot makes you a homer.

From this alone you're implying that saying the Patriots don't serve as an attractive free agent landing spot makes you a homer.

The OP does have a flair for the "anti-homer" perspective. That view is as dumb as having the only owner in sports use millions of dollars of his own money to build a stadium and then have gangs of patsfans.com "contributors" (my guess the same clowns don't pay taxes) claim the guy is cheap.

The OP does have a flair for the "anti-homer" perspective. That view is as dumb as having the only owner in sports use millions of dollars of his own money to build a stadium and then have gangs of patsfans.com "contributors" (my guess the same clowns don't pay taxes) claim the guy is cheap.

I agree. I really am getting sick of the "Kraft is cheap" talk. I know it hurts to lose star players, but we still spend a ton of money on a lot of players. We just aren't willing to tie up huge chunks of the payroll on one or two guys. It's almost as if people think giving out huge contracts is the only way to prove an owner is serious about spending money.

Of course, wild spending hasn't done much for Al Davis or Dan Snyder. But never mind! Kraft is cheap because he didn't sign playerX to a record deal! The Pats will never sign record-breaking deals, and I'm okay with that. But for all Kraft has done for the organization, he really doesn't deserve the cheap label some people throw around here so easily. You want an owner who is willing to spend to keep his stars? Go support the Raiders.

We've made our share of mistakes, as does every team. But I like that we're willing to make the tough choices, no matter how unpopular they are with the fans. Look at San Diego. In 2008, they could have kept LT or Turner, and they knew how unpopular it would be to cut ties with LT. A year later, he's washed-up and cut, Sproles may not come back, and Turner will be the feature back in Atlanta.

This is still a great organization for free agents, especially veterans. Guys like Bodden and McGowan are prime examples. We brought in Harrison after he was "washed up" according to San Diego. We've never been the prime destination for superstars looking to break the bank, and we never will be under BB. But that has nothing to do with the owner being cheap, and Kraft really deserves better from the fans.

no not as much as they used to be, but they are still top 5

Reminds me of the time Rodney Harrison was sitting in Al's office in Oakland having smoke blown up his ass by the only team who seemed remotely interested in an aging safety SD had deemed was washed up, and his cell phone rang and it was BB offering him a job coming off our disappointing 9-7 flash in the pan 2002 season... Rodney couldn't get here fast enough and was anticipating being wined and dined like all the heartwarming tales he'd heard about the process. All he got was dinner at Ponderosa and BB's heartfelt assessment that contrary to popular belief he could still play and they were willing to sign him to a backloaded 6 year $16M deal the pundits said he'd never see past year two of to prove it...

The only FA Bill is interested in signing are the ones who are just looking for a place to prove they can bring something to the table and are driven to help a team win. If you ask me we've attracted too may FA in the last couple of seasons who are looking for a team to make them look good in the process of winning.

GREAT post. +1

Correction (albeit minor): Rodney himself said on 'America's Team' that BB took him to the 'Ground Round' restaurant, which Rodney implied was kind of no frills, no nonsense, and it was there that he knew this is where he belonged, and instructed his agent to do what it took to make it happen.

YoungTurk

I always wonder who would want to play in cold, snowy NE when they could join a team in Florida?

I don't seem to understand the huge pesimism in our thread. take 08 out of the picture because when you have a QB like Brady out that's a huge piece missing. Under BB/Brady the last 2 seasons they've been together, they go 18-1 followed by 10-6. How many teams have done better in that stretch?

After you get done answering that..Now tell me how NE isn't an attractive FA spot? I'm not saying they're #1. I'm not saying guys will take less to play here like they always use to. No, what I am saying is players know playing for this organization they have a top coach, QB. Top notch facilities, and a shot every year.

If that's not attractive, well I don't know what it is. Is it the best? No, I honestly don't think anywhere is currently the best in the NFL. But I do think the Patriots are still among one of the more desirables spots for FAs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back