PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Do the Patiots have ANY weaknesses?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Randy_Moss

Rookie
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I'm a big football fan in general & I'm going to each team's website to learn a little more about them. I'm looking at your Patriots, and you guys are 2nd in scoring offense, 1st in total yards, 3rd in scoring defense & 1st in defensive yards. You guys will also be getting Rodney Harrison back after this week!

So my question to you guys, is this the best Patriots team you've ever seen? Are there ANY weaknesses and/or concerns you have? You have 2 tough road games at Dallas & at Indy, but I'd say the possibility to go 19-0 is extremely high.

Hey everyone. I'm a big football fan in general & I'm going to each team's website to learn a little more about them. I'm looking at your Patriots, and you guys are 2nd in scoring offense, 1st in total yards, 3rd in scoring defense & 1st in defensive yards. You guys will also be getting Rodney Harrison back after this week!

So my question to you guys, is this the best Patriots team you've ever seen? Are there ANY weaknesses and/or concerns you have? You have 2 tough road games at Dallas & at Indy, but I'd say the possibility to go 19-0 is extremely high.

Thanks Randy.

Our biggest weakness is the fact that you should be studying Bengals game tape right now rather than chatting with low-lifes like us.

You best not be slipping again..... Get outta here ya knucklehead!:singing:

I don't know about weaknesses (kicking/punting?) but this team might suffer from too much high expectations, especially if they continue spanking teams into oblivion week after week. The media has a way of building teams up just to see a team falter.

Glare.

By my calculation, the sun will be right behind the Bengals bench this week requiring some pretty powerful filters.

The kicking game os untested, though the kickoffs have been excellent.

That is about all.

So Mr Mangini, you've changed your name to Randy Moss and joined a Pats fans forum to try to figure out how to beat us. Isn't that special?! LOL!!

secondary is untested. Every team has some weakness and as the season goes we will know more.even the colts now dont seem have much weakness and they play in a tougher division. let it play out before we can answer these questions.

Being deprived of signals intel
is sure to cause a once-potent offense to sputter.

Red-zone defense stands out - we've allowed 5 TD's in 5 opportunities.

Field goal unit hasn't been perfect.

As another poster mentioned, the secondary is a question mark until we face a solid QB and decent receivers (which we will Monday). Opponents haven't tried to burn us deep - I'm betting that Cincy will try A LOT.

Well, the chance of winning any one game is high. Sadly, that doesn't mean the chance of 19-0 is high.

Right now, the biggest weakness seems to of course be red zone defense.

Also, the Pats defense (not as much so far this season) is often vulnerable to methodical drives that get the ball INTO FG range.

Last edited:
Well, each of the Patriots' opponents managed at least one good drive when they seemed to get into a rhythm and the Patriots couldn't stop them. The Jets had Chad Pennington throwing varied short passes using Cotchery and Coles, the Chargers completed a lot of passes to Gates, while the Bills relied heavily on the energy and elusiveness of Marshawn Lynch. It's true that the Patriots soon adjusted, but a team with an excellent short passing game and a dynamic and hard-to-tackle running back (Indianapolis?) could prove difficult.

Last edited:
......Punting.....Endzone celebrations are starting to look the same too week in and week out.

secondary is untested. Every team has some weakness and as the season goes we will know more.even the colts now dont seem have much weakness.

Except an overrated defense that will completely go into the tank as soon as Bob Sanders gets hurt. That's all.

Yea - there are only 2 jersey's you can buy and be confident that the player will still be on the team in 5 years.

I love how everyone believes 19-0 is likely/probably just because we are better than any of our opponents. It is simply not the case. I'll relate to poker as to why.

The Pats have to play 16 games during the regular season. Some of those games will be against tough teams where we might have no more than an estimated 60% chance of winning. There is a chance (probability) that we will lose any given sunday. No game is 100%.

Now lets compare this to poker. In a large poker tournament you will get AA (the best starting hand possible) several - many times. If you put in all your money (win or lose situation, like football) everytime you get AA your odds of winning EVERY time will decrease. This is NOT to say that after surviving 5 AA, you will have less chance of winning the next time you get it, its collective. This is that your odds of winning all of those AA hands (total) will decrease.

Now say, for simplicity, that you face KK (against your AA) everytime. You have a 81.26% chance of winning (preflop). Now after 4 times you get this situation, you have less than a 50% chance of surviving all 4 (43.59%). By the 10th time you would be down to a 12.55% chance of surviving all 10 "confrontations"

Now football isn't quite as black and white, but there are still odds and numbers in the game, as in everything. It is HUGELY statistically improbable that ANY team, no matter how good, would win all 16 games. Is it possible? Of course. But probably? No. Even slightly probably? Absolutely not.

Last edited:
Now say, for simplicity, that you face KK (against your AA) everytime. You have a 81.26% chance of winning (preflop). Now after 4 times you get this situation, you have less than a 50% chance of surviving all 4 (43.59%). By the 10th time you would be down to a 12.55% chance of surviving all 10 "confrontations"

QUOTE]

This is an inaccurate analogy based on the decks/dealing. Every deck the odds should be consistent thus why the pattern of betting is consistent expecting consistent results. You have the same odds every time with a fresh deck.

Most people lose in gambling because they get influenced by current results and forget about the averages...

Last edited:
Yes, this is the best Patriots team I've ever seen, by a pretty good margin. In fact, it has the potential to be the best football team I've ever seen in the NFL. To me, the 85 Bears were the best in my days watching the NFL. I need to see some serious defense from the Patriots to be talked about in those terms, but it's possible.

No, I don't see any real weakness. I see areas that aren't strengths like others, but I don't see any weaknesses.

I think, unlike some others, it's fun to talk about an undefeated season while the possibility still exists, and the Patriots are good enough to pull it off. But, obviously, the chances aren't great that they will. Those Bears didn't win them all, either. There's some luck involved even for the best teams.

disclaimer: it's still early, and favorable matchups in the first three games could be making a really, *really* good team look like an historically great team. They still haven't faced a team with a top-flight combo of QB and receivers. We'll know more Monday night.

Except an overrated defense that will completely go into the tank as soon as Bob Sanders gets hurt. That's all.

injuries can happen to any team but that defense is built to play from a lead.
I felt that when we defended the SB against the eagles, everyone was picking indy which was odd because we were on a winning streak. Now exactly the opposite is happening where everyone thinks we are the best and indy is being overlooked esp by media and some pats fans.
Our offense is great but its been this dynamic for the last 3 games. Indy's offense has been like this for years now so their defense knows day in day out they off is going to deliver.We have see more of our offense before comparing them with the colts. Thats just my opinion.

In terms of what the Pats need to improve in order of importance:

Improve on takaways, we have been good on not turning the ball over but the Pats are only +1. THe D needs to generate more TOs.

Red Zone D, much discussed here only 5 trips into the Red Zonce by the opposition, but 5 TDs allowed, this needs to improve. THis teams has been above average in Red Zone D in years past and needs to return to that level of performance (while limiting opponents opportunities of course ;) ,)

The punting could be better, suprised that we haven't been loooking at punters.

FG, Ghost has been great on KOs but shaky with his FGs, this happened last year and he settled down and was rock solid in the POs. I wonde5r if this has to do in part with the holders this year?

To date this looks like it has the potntial to be the best Pats team, check back in Feb and see if we're better than 17-2, if we are it will be the the best Pats team ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes