PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Do the Jets look like the Pats of old?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Pats defense those years was 1 and 2 in points allowed. The Jets are 1 this year (even after losing Jenkins for the season), and allowed 2 fewer points than the 2003 Pats. That makes the Jets comparable to the great Pats defenses. Certainly better than 2001. The defense does not compare to say the 2000 Ravens, thus the Jets' problem is the offense has been so bad that the defense cannot make the Jets a good team.

The only playoff team the Jets come close to in points scored is Cincy, which has neither an offense nor a defense of late and likely will be exiting immediately. If I can acknowledge your defense ranks at the top of the playoff teams, you can acknowledge that your offense ranks at the bottom. As for your "what ifs" in taking the division, if Brady had been himself the Jets would have lost the first game and certainly the division, and that scenario reflects a single game of the season, not a general performance improvement that would pretty much make any team in the NFL a playoff team by hypothetical. Woulda, coulda, shoulda is the chant of those not at the top of the game. And Manning smacked 200 yards on your vaunted pass defense in just over 2 quarters, so let's not kid ourselves as to the outcome. A loss and the Jets are done, so that was a major Christmas present.

A totally padded stat.

In 2009, the Jets defense gave up FIVE critical late scoring drives that cost the New York Jets a victory.

Miami/Buffalo/Miami (again)/Jax/Atlanta.

Five games lost because a can't get it done defense lost the game.

Hell, our defense only "lost" four games this year.

I guess they were better than the 03/04 teams.

A totally padded stat.

In 2009, the Jets defense gave up FIVE critical late scoring drives that cost the New York Jets a victory.

Miami/Buffalo/Miami (again)/Jax/Atlanta.

Five games lost because a can't get it done defense lost the game.

Hell, our defense only "lost" four games this year.

I guess they were better than the 03/04 teams.

Points allowed is not a padded stat as that tends to be the only objective measure of a defense over a season. Padded stats are yardage as teams keeping points to a minimum can give ridiculous yardage and still win convincingly. Good defenses give up few points, bad defenses give up many points. If you actually believe the offense has not killed that team this season, you are not as astute an observer of games as you believe yourself to be. Turnovers kill, and the Jets offense is lousy for turnovers.

And did I say the Jets as a team is better? No. In fact I said the exact opposite. You are only as good as your record, and the Pats "bend don't break" defense and efficient offense made it an outstanding team in 2003 and 2004. The Jets are 9-7. There is a huge difference between 9-7 and 14-2. It doesn't take a wizard to figure that out.

I gave the stats relative to point allowed, which I expect you are capable of following the link and proving to yourself without the theater and sarcasm. And the loss of Jenkins was huge for the Jets, yet it still managed to keep points to an NFL low over 16 games. And I believe I said, based on points allowed, "comparable" not "better" in 2003 and 2004. Feel free to reread the statement. There is a difference. As far as 2001 goes, the points allowed is the highest of the 3 championship years and the defense did not shutdown opposing offenses, even down the stretch.

The point being, in response to a Jets fan's post, the defense is good, the offense is bad. The team, overall, at 9-7, is mediocre and is in the playoffs only because the Colts decided to take the game off.

You're comparing a 9-7 team that played its "Super Bowl" in September and with a head coach that declared them out of the playoffs with 2 weeks to go with 2 teams that went 14-2 and won the Super Bowl? A team whose college head coach declared the QB wasn't ready for the NFL - and then the QB went out and proved it?

:eek::eek:

Last edited:
Dear Pats of old,

I would like to apologize for this ridiculous comparison of the lowly Jets to the great teams of 03-04 that we in Patriots nation were so fortunate to have witnessed.

Points allowed is not a padded stat as that tends to be the only objective measure of a defense over a season. Padded stats are yardage as teams keeping points to a minimum can give ridiculous yardage and still win convincingly. Good defenses give up few points, bad defenses give up many points. If you actually believe the offense has not killed that team this season, you are not as astute an observer of games as you believe yourself to be. Turnovers kill, and the Jets offense is lousy for turnovers.

And did I say the Jets as a team is better? No. In fact I said the exact opposite. You are only as good as your record, and the Pats "bend don't break" defense and efficient offense made it an outstanding team in 2003 and 2004. The Jets are 9-7. There is a huge difference between 9-7 and 14-2. It doesn't take a wizard to figure that out.

I gave the stats relative to point allowed, which I expect you are capable of following the link and proving to yourself without the theater and sarcasm. And the loss of Jenkins was huge for the Jets, yet it still managed to keep points to an NFL low over 16 games. And I believe I said, based on points allowed, "comparable" not "better" in 2003 and 2004. Feel free to reread the statement. There is a difference. As far as 2001 goes, the points allowed is the highest of the 3 championship years and the defense did not shutdown opposing offenses, even down the stretch.

The point being, in response to a Jets fan's post, the defense is good, the offense is bad. The team, overall, at 9-7, is mediocre and is in the playoffs only because the Colts decided to take the game off.

Ofcourse, it's padded. They played 1.5 games against teams that laid down.

They played Oakland and Tampa. New Orleans went into prevent mode because they had a big lead from all those pick six. In the Meadowlands game against Miami, the Dophins scored 3 non offensive TD's. It's easy to rack of D stats if the other team doesn't need to send their O on the field.

Ofcourse, it's padded. They played 1.5 games against teams that laid down.

They played Oakland and Tampa. New Orleans went into prevent mode because they had a big lead from all those pick six. In the Meadowlands game against Miami, the Dophins scored 3 non offensive TD's. It's easy to rack of D stats if the other team doesn't need to send their O on the field.

Right, except I was quoting "points against," not "points against the defense." And the Jets could claim the same thing with the Titans and Pats. You do not subjectively choose what games have meaning in determining performance, unless you are trying to skew results to fit your argument.

Again, I'm not defending the Jets as a good team or anywhere comparable to the championship Pats team. There are three phases to the game and I will credit the Jets as good at one. I just disagree that the defense is as horrible as some seem to believe it is.

Last edited:
jets were given a golden willy wonka ticket into the playoffs, they dont have the heart that any of those patriots teams had.

bingo!!!!!!! We have bingo!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey