PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Do the fans have any recourse in the labor dispute concerning the Referees

Status
Not open for further replies.
You realize that a Jets fan tried this exact argument when suing the NFL and the Patriots over Cameragate? (And it was shot down at the federal district court and circuit court of appeals level (and SCOTUS denied cert, of course.))

Yeah, I hear you and get that. My point was more to the publicity of the suit, not the merits of plaintiff's case. I think the media would jump all over this and some plaintiff's attorney would get his/her name out there. I agree it's a BS argument but, regardless of the law, there may be something to an equitable argument that consumers pay for NFL football, which has an expectation that includes NFL referees. We know that the replacement refs are not NFL referees due to their credentials; so are the ticket holders and Direct TV subscribers getting what they paid for? That may not be frivolous and not immediately thrown out. That facts are different from cameragate (but again, I agree it's likely BS).

Go to the game, since we are addicts, but do something to show your displeasure.

IDEA: What if everyone in the whole arena stood up and turned their backs to the field, for just one play (the opening kickoff)?????

It would make a very powerful statement. You likely wouldn't miss anything either, since there's an 80% chance that Gostkowski kicks it through the endzone anyway.

The media would be asking Goodell's opinion on the "fan protest". It would also spread. It would be a total embarrassment to the league but would not deprive anyone of the game.

I don't know what sort of protest from home would be effective, but I would think that the owners (and Goodell) would not be happy with the TV display of fans turning their backs on the field in symbolic protest.

For one, the 49ers/Vikings game was far worse when it came to officiating than the Pats/Ravens game was. For another, the owners haven't even attented the negotiations. What does that tell you?

It tells me exactly what I said. That Goodell works for the owners, which is why he is there.

My major complaint about these refs is the flow and rhythm of the game, the rhythm of the NFL is one of the reason why I prefer the NFL over just about any other professional sport. Even the hurry up offense of the Pats, seems to be slowed down by these refs..

It is too herky jerky for my likes, and the accompanying nail biting is uneven at best..

So as fans, short for fanatics, do we have any recourse?? What can we do to speed this along, an economic boycott would not work, as we are not going to stop watching games and buying NFL garb... if tickets are given up, someone else will take the seat.

I know that during the lock out last year, some folks started a massive email campaign.. not sure if that was effective, but it made folks feel empowered and when things finally happened many thought it was because of this.

Does anything think that some type of massive email campaign that would flood the NFL have any impact?? Everyone knows many fans, and it could be done.. Goodell has to do something.

An interesting conspiracy theory is that Goodell is content with the status quo of this labor dispute, as it takes the focus off of the "bounty gate" debacle and the head injury stuff...

Thoughts??

Your recourse is to not buy the product and hope someone notices....and cares.

Another 3-4 weeks of this one and the numbers will be start to be affected, nothing will need to be organized. I won't continue to watch this amateur hour bull**** and I don't think I'm alone. They've already decided the outcome of two Patriot loses. I might tune in to tonight's game for the car wreck factor but I'm already losing interest. The pace of the game is just awful.

I can get by watching only the Pats and if this **** keeps up for an extended period of time I could probably lose that too. This is about the integrity of the game. I'm not going to continue to watch games decided by these clueless, bumbling, intimidated refs.

Last edited:
I'm boycotting MNF tonight, and any non pats game moving forward.

if all the fans stop watching games, the ratings will go down and the money will as well.

I'm doing the same. I can't miss a Patriots game, but I have no problem tuning out on the rest of the games that I typically watch per week. I also cancelled auto-renew on NFL Game Rewind, citing the fact that the quality of the officiating was so bad that I don't even want to watch most games.

So they're out $70 per year starting next year, I guess. Maybe if a few thousand people do the same they'll care, but even then probably not.

Last edited:
You don't have to completely stop watching the NFL games to hit the NFL where it hurts. You could stop purchasing NFL gear or concessions if you attend games. You could curtail your NFL viewing or watch games at a bar or with friends to minimize the number of tuned in TVs. Alternatively you could write a letter to Bob Kraft or Roger God-ell and express your concerns.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back