PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Do Refs usually do that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drewwho

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
Help player up off the ground?
Did you catch that in the first half where the ref gave Brady a hand to get up??? Don't usually see that in football, do you?

Drewwho said:
Did you catch that in the first half where the ref gave Brady a hand to get up??? Don't usually see that in football, do you?

Better than getting smacked in the face with a football. :D

Drewwho said:

It seems to be more of a recent thing (either that or my memory is shot). I've seen officials help players up a few times this season. Strange, it's a courteous thing to do, but I'm with you, it somehow seems out of place.

I also thought I saw a player pat a ref's butt for a nice call. Anyone else annoyed by those flashes of yellow on the other networks. ABC will flash yellow on its emblem all during the game. Fox will flash something down below while a play is going on. I'm always looking for a flag on a good drive and my eye catches those yellow markers.

multiple times

He did it multiple times to players on both teams including Brady,Colvin, Daryl Smith and Leftwich.

It is fairly common now. You would have never seen it in the old days. I'd actually like to see them get away from it because it can and maybe has impacted the integrity of the game.

The NFL did everything in its power to keep it quiet but in a game last season an official allegedly ran over to Brett Favre (clueless as always in recent years) and told him the clock was still running and he should use a TO. He did and it allowed them to score and beat the Texans. The Texans filed a complaint with the league office but it really was never talked about again.

Last edited:
It's a kinder and gentler NFL.

Drewwho said:

Funny of you to mention that, but I noticed it a lot yesterday and didn't recall seeing it before.

scout said:
I also thought I saw a player pat a ref's butt for a nice call. Anyone else annoyed by those flashes of yellow on the other networks. ABC will flash yellow on its emblem all during the game. Fox will flash something down below while a play is going on. I'm always looking for a flag on a good drive and my eye catches those yellow markers.

I also found the yellow flashes on ABC's broadcast last night distracting and annoying.

Tunescribe said:
Funny of you to mention that, but I noticed it a lot yesterday and didn't recall seeing it before.
Ditto here, saw it a couple of times, didn't know if it was the same ref or not but both my husband and I remarked on it as being unusual?

I have no problem with it. I don't think it's going to affect the integrity of the officiating. On the contratry, half the time those guys are out there swearing at the officials, that the refs would help players up shows professionalism. Besides, try laying on a cold field on a 20 degree night after getting the wind knocked out of you. I also noticed players helping players from the other team up.

What was the scoop with the yard marker on the JAX side in the second half?
One was at the 20 yd line and never oved and the oher was at midfield. It's almost as if they said, "they're not getting any first downs, so why move??"

Drewwho said:
I don't have any problem with it.

Pujo said:
I also noticed players helping players from the other team up.

I noticed this a lot in this game! Haven't seen that much at this level, especially in the playoffs. To me, very professional- when you can play during the play, and help up the guy you just hit.

Weishuhn said:
I also found the yellow flashes on ABC's broadcast last night distracting and annoying.

Me too. I uttered 'what the hell is the flag for?' so many times due to that. Moronic broadcasting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
Back