PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Do Pats reclaim number one seed this year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guts

Akatsuki
2023 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
I was talking with my buddy of the favorites in the AFC this year he thinks the Colts and Broncos will be 1-2 seeds with the Patriots 3 seed. I personally think the Patriots have the best shot at the number 1 seed mainly because the Broncos face the stacked NFC west this year and that's the toughest division by far. The Colts are still not convincing me as a powerhouse but we never know what do you guys think?

I was talking with my buddy of the favorites in the AFC this year he thinks the Colts and Broncos will be 1-2 seeds with the Patriots 3 seed. I personally think the Patriots have the best shot at the number 1 seed mainly because the Broncos face the stacked NFC west this year and that's the toughest division by far. The Colts are still not convincing me as a powerhouse but we never know what do you guys think?
Too early to really say but I'd bet on a top two seed right now.

#2 behind the Donkos.

To many ? in the Pats lineup ATM.

The have the potential to tear things up on O and D ....or be injury riddled again
with last year's rookies not progressing as hoped for.

If all things fall into place, this will be a very exciting year to be a Patriot fan.

I have no idea of the Pats will reclaim the number one seed. It is a bit too early being that we haven't seen anyone in pads yet. However, I would like to say that I sincerely hope so. I know we've lost a few at Gillette of late, but that's still a tough place to play in the colder months and the Pats have a different swagger at home. I truly believe last year's playoffs turn out different if NE doesn't relinquish home-field in that MIA loss. Peyton had damn near perfect conditions in the AFCCG . . . far cry from what life would have been for him in Foxboro.

Some will say it doesn't matter as much as the first-round bye and I think there is some merit to that to a degree. However, and maybe even slightly contradictory to what I just said, I don't think one is any more important than the other. They both make the road to the SB a much easier one. With the roster that has been assembled, NE need only to handle business each week and I think they'll be in the driver's seat come playoff time.

Good news is the Broncos play the NFC West. I think if the Pats win 13, that should do it.

Also I expect the Raiders to give them some trouble, they have really made some good moves this off season and draft. Also they are going to play the toughest division in football right now, I trully believe the Broncos will have a season nowhere near 2013.

For some reason, the Colts have become the pre-season media darlings. I see no evidence that they have improved to the level of NE and Denver. Basically, people are assuming that Andrew Luck will take some major strides forward this year, but I do not anticipate that happening.

Don't get me wrong, he's certainly had a fantastic start to his career. But I don't think it is a simple matter of: Year 3 = Major Improvement.

I don't get the Colts love. They weren't great last year and had no first round draft pick this year, the Texans had a good draft and the Jags might have got a QB. Wasn't like they had an incredible FA either

I would rather they reclaim the SB.

I don't get the Colts love. They weren't great last year and had no first round draft pick this year, the Texans had a good draft and the Jags might have got a QB. Wasn't like they had an incredible FA either
I still see the Colts Defense being their major weakness. They're a good side and with Luck at the helm, I'm sure they'll continue to improve in the coming years. That said, the Patriots and Broncos are clear head in the AFC as 1A to 1AA. It's a matter of preference when selecting both. Denver signed sexy names, New England signed the better players (IMO).

Also I expect the Raiders to give them some trouble, they have really made some good moves this off season and draft. Also they are going to play the toughest division in football right now, I trully believe the Broncos will have a season nowhere near 2013.

I think you're right about the Donkeys, but I'm not sure the Raiders are one of the teams that will give them trouble. I put a curse on the Raiders that's in effect (or is it affect) until 2026.

It would not surprise me if this team went 15-1. 14-2 is sort of my expectation right now.
In the Brady era, the only two off-seasons where I thought the team was better was in 07 and 04. The only problem with this team is there's a lot of unknowns -- will the rookie wr group, and amendola, perform to expectations (2nd year jump, or for amendola, what was expected in year 1). will gronk stay healthy, will defensive players meet expectations. If there's no major hiccups, this team should be dominant.

The love for the Colts comes from the fact that they knocked off the 49ers, Seahawks, and Broncos before injuries took their toll and they've improved on both sides of the ball (including adding a very dangerous weapon to Luck's arsenal in Nicks, should he stay healthy).

As for the thread question, I think they can. The Patriots and Broncos both have tough schedules but the NFC West should be a gauntlet for them from the top on down. If ever there was a year to get an early lead and hold it, this is it.

The Patriots have a tougher schedule this year than last year. The division teams will be better, so we can't count on 6-0 or even 5-1.
The Patriots will win the division as usual. But I won't be surprised is they go 11-5 even with a better team. I also won't be surprised if the Bengals have the #1 seed.

The Colts defense lacks talent and Luck is still overrated by many. Also, Grigson's GM abilities will start to be exposed as Polian's last two pieces decline (Wayne will be 36 and Mathis 33/suspended). Prediction: 11-5

The Bengals* are getting back Atkins and Hall while adding Dennard, so they will probably have the 2nd best D to us in the AFC. However, Dalton is good for 4-5 WTF games, so I can't see this team past 11-5. Prediction: 11-5

*If Josh Gordon somehow isn't suspended, Manziel will take the Browns to 10-6/11-5.

http://www.ourlads.com/nfldepthcharts/depthchart/DEN

Here we are, the Broncos. The team with the stud OL (Clady returns), the big 3 at WR-WR-TE, and Manning. IMO their defense will be average, as the secondary is very overrated and the LBs besides Miller are mediocre. Throw in two NFC west poundings instead of the cakewalk NFC east, and I can't see them at 13-3 again. Prediction: 12-4

If we win the head to head vs. Denver I think 12-4 could be good enough for #1 seed. If Gronk stays healthy and one of Dobson/KT break out I see us as a 14-2/15-1 team anyway.

Kind of early, but if I were to predict the schedules ours looks alot easier than Denver's and should allow us to get the top seed.

I would rather they reclaim the SB.

And getting the #1 seed would make that alot more doable. I get that oftentimes in NFL it's not a huge advantage being #1, but this would ensure that Denver and Peyton Manning - likely our biggest threats in the AFC - will have to come to Foxboro instead of us going to Mile High.

It's really not a big deal in the end. It's not like power rankings place the Pats at a disadvantage. In fact, it makes it worse for a guy like Peyton Manning and makes BB and company all the more brilliant. Exceeding expectations is always most impressive--not meeting them. Falling short of expectations is when the critics come out. It also makes the season more enjoyable as a fan.

As for the AFC picture, I think the AFC will have improved this year. Who knows which combination of teams will be the contenders this year. It is unlikely to continue the status quo as of late last season. That's just based on the notion that there will always be changes to the pecking orders year-to-year.

We also shouldn't forget how many nail-biters we had last season. We were 12-4, but had games like against NO where we won at the last minute. The theme during last season was how gritty and well-coached our team was--not how dominant they were.

I'm not quite sure that Denver is going to be the threat that everybody is proclaiming them to be. They'll get healthier on the OL and the back end of their defense looks better now than it did. But that's assuming Talib maintains the level of play he showed in the first four weeks here last year and doesn't fall off. It's also assuming he doesn't re-injure that hip or get another bruise, as we all know how hard a bruise is to come back from. Further, Decker was a better WR2 than Sanders is. They also lost a 1,000 yard back in Moreno (though that production could easily be an aberration). I still think they'll be a threat, but I'm unsure if the potency of that offense is going to be anywhere near what it was in 2013. For instance, I think the Saints could just as easily be the top offense in the NFL depending on how fast Cooks comes out of the gates for them.

I'm not quite sure that Denver is going to be the threat that everybody is proclaiming them to be. They'll get healthier on the OL and the back end of their defense looks better now than it did. But that's assuming Talib maintains the level of play he showed in the first four weeks here last year and doesn't fall off. It's also assuming he doesn't re-injure that hip or get another bruise, as we all know how hard a bruise is to come back from. Further, Decker was a better WR2 than Sanders is. They also lost a 1,000 yard back in Moreno (though that production could easily be an aberration). I still think they'll be a threat, but I'm unsure if the potency of that offense is going to be anywhere near what it was in 2013. For instance, I think the Saints could just as easily be the top offense in the NFL depending on how fast Cooks comes out of the gates for them.

I think this season is going to be about tiebreakers for the top spot and see denver, NE, Indy, and Cincy all in the mix around 12-4/11-5. Ultimately what it is really going to be about is health and trajectory in January, and if the Patriots are relatively healthy and take their normal season trajectory where they are playing their best football after thanksgiving then they are going to have an excellent chance at winning the Super Bowl.

I have no idea whether they will be #1 again.

Teams change in the Off-season and there are inevitable surprises (see "Patriots, New England, 2001 Season"). In addition, good teams lose to mediocre teams that put it all together for a few weeks in September or October and then fall apart, never to be heard from again.

I'm hard-pressed to see the Pats not winning the Division. Winning the Division will mean having a record of around 11--5. Beyond that, can they go 13--3? Sure, I guess so. Could they go 10--6? Not very likely, but a couple of injuries and some bad breaks and it could happen.

I'll wait until the week before the season begins to make any predictions (nailed it on the number last year and was one off the two prior seasons).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes