PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Do Pats go for RB despite D needs .. if McCaffrey falls to them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If he thinks McCaffrey is good enough value, he might.

A pretty sweet idea would be to also bring back Blount for one more year. Could you imagine a Blount/McCaffrey duo with a little bit of James/Dion mixed in?

I'm not sure BB values the Rb position enough to spend that much in it. He seems to prefer a cheap runner and a cheap passing offense back.
I assume durability and career length at the position is a factor also.

I don't think BB values RB's as highly as other positions........White,Vereen,Ridley within last 5 years and not one first rounder.......Maroney last first round pick ......He prefers to sign experienced vets and squeeze the last bit of ability from them IMHO.......Pats have White,Lewis,Blount,Foster,Gaffney, Develin,Bolden already on roster....Do they really need a bell cow RB when they use RB by committee?

I hope not. I like McCaffrey, but this year's defensive draft is special. We have three players already (White, Lewis, Foster) who do what McCaffrey would do, and I'm not sure he runs between the tackles any better than they do. Good player, but he'll go in the 1st or maybe early 2nd, and we can go so many other directions at that point.

I'm not sure BB values the Rb position enough to spend that much in it. He seems to prefer a cheap runner and a cheap passing offense back.
I assume durability and career length at the position is a factor also.
I think there's an exception for everything. I think he'd take the right back in the first round. We do need to get something behind Blount because we don't really have anyone to fill his shoes if he goes down. As much faith as Jeff Fisher has in Bolden...I don't (is he even healthy?).

I think there's an exception for everything. I think he'd take the right back in the first round. We do need to get something behind Blount because we don't really have anyone to fill his shoes if he goes down. As much faith as Jeff Fisher has in Bolden...I don't (is he even healthy?).
Definitely an exception to everything but this would probably be a major trade up and it's a big risk at a position where injuries are such a concern.

There are a lot of talented young RBs who are declaring for the draft. I think it will be interesting to see if teams pounce early on them with the success of guys like Zeke Elliott. Or maybe they hold off and take them later and that has been the trend, at least in the last few years.

Perhaps the Pats could send JG to Browns for their 2nd 1st (should be top 15) and draft Fournette/McCaffery/Mike Williams...or maybe come out with a DE/LB.

I hope not. I like McCaffrey, but this year's defensive draft is special. We have three players already (White, Lewis, Foster) who do what McCaffrey would do, and I'm not sure he runs between the tackles any better than they do. Good player, but he'll go in the 1st or maybe early 2nd, and we can go so many other directions at that point.

Very possible that BB already has McCaffrey on the roster in DJ Foster .. the way he went about him this season. But McC is younger and probably offers more as RB.

Last edited:
Very possible that BB already has McCaffrey on the roster in DJ Foster .. they he went about him this season. But McC is younger and probably offers more as RB.

Foster certainly had more college production as a receiver. A a runner, yes, McC (thanks for that) offers more than Foster, but I'm still not sure that he really fills a void or puts us over the edge as a team. He's not even close to my favorite back in this draft, which contains quite a few potential game changers. I see a good player, but not a transcendent player. If we're going offense early, I'm more interested in a guy like Corey Davis, who holds the all the time FBS receiving yards record. Overall I see this as a defense heavy draft, with quite a few guys who could really help our team.

I honestly think McCaffrey is overrated. I really don't see what others see in him. He seems to be a product of a very stout run-blocking OL.

I think not. I know a lot of people love him. I don't see it. He will be a good player but i wouldn't take him in the first. At 64 depending on who is there sure but i see him as a day 2 talent.

Does anyone see him as a 1st? I'd say late 2nd to mid-3rd.

Does anyone see him as a 1st? I'd say late 2nd to mid-3rd.

Yes, according to most ranking sites or mock drafts, he is a top 20 - 30 player. I agree that he's talented, but I don't view him as the type of player who transforms an offense like a Gronk.

Don't we have a Standford RB on our Roster or Taxi Squad already in the often injured Tyler Gaffney??o_O:p

Yes, according to most ranking sites or mock drafts, he is a top 20 - 30 player. I agree that he's talented, but I don't view him as the type of player who transforms an offense like a Gronk.

He's versatile but yeah I don't see him as a guy who is going to suddenly make an average offense great. Especially in this age of RB's. Hell wasn't Arizona's Johnson a 2nd or 3rd rounder?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes