Welcome to PatsFans.com

Do Nothing, Majority Says

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by NEPatriot, Dec 12, 2009.

1. NEPatriot

NEPatriot Banned

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

Do Nothing, Majority Says - WSJ.com

Last edited: Dec 12, 2009
  2. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +434 / 5 / -2

Nothing doesn't cut it. I don't want this horrible bill, but I do want something that gets the cost of my coverage down. My HC renewal just came in, and now I'm up over $600 a month for a single person. Family coverage is $1,899 for 3 people, PER MONTH!

So how's that Massachusetts Healthcare reform looking about now? So much for reducing my premiums. Such a ******* joke. Gimmick policy is a waste of time and money. The crap going through DC now is more of the same. baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa....sheep to left of me, retards to the right. :mad:
  3. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +437 / 10 / -11

#24 Jersey

Not specifically about Mass because you guys are different ;) but in general, I'm convinced that the two things that would help a lot would be :

1) Tort Reform. Duh.
    2) Give us more choices in what health insurance we buy. I don't want mental health coverage, for example, but I have it because the plans are so big and static. I'd like to be able to choose to have less coverage on small stuff and pay less for just catastrophic coverage (in case I have a heart attack or something). But it's all or nothing. I don't want all but I also don't want nothing.
  4. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +887 / 6 / -16

#87 Jersey

It's what it's

5. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +191 / 4 / -6

Change is scary. People gravitate towards the status quo. For same reason that they say do nothing here, they said do nothing with Social Security, with Medicare, and so on. For that reason it takes guts for politicians to change things -- there's political risk as well as the risk that the changes will do more harm than good. But, it's difficult to think of changes that did more harm than good in the eyes of most people. The only one I can think of off hand is Prohibition.
  6. resnor

resnor Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Yeah, this comprehensive health coverage costs a ton, and it's more than many people need. Give me catastrophic coverage so I don't go bankrupt if something bad happens, and let me cover the run of the mill stuff. Allow insurance companies to sell across state lines, and let the free market do its thing and bring prices down.
  7. NEPatriot

NEPatriot Banned

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

[​IMG]
  8. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +266 / 10 / -26

Isn't tort reform a state's rights issue?? Imagine the conundrum if congress suggested tort reform, while it sounds all warm and fuzzy, the pundits would have a field day talking about how now the congress and prez want to intrude on state's rights..

Tort reform sounds really good, as a cost reduction method, but Texas has done it... it works out well for the Insurance companies and doctors, but so far there has been no reduction in premiums for the insured... they stay about the same.

It is a little more than a Duh...
  9. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +437 / 10 / -11

#24 Jersey

I have no idea what is a state's rights issue anymore with the domination over everything we're seeing from the obamans. Honestly, I have no clue. However when doctors have to consider leaving states like CA because of malpractice insurance, clearly something has to be fixed - at what level of government I really don't care.
  10. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +516 / 9 / -3

#24 Jersey

Well, I guess we should be glad someone made out ok because Tort Reform didn't work out too well for the people in Texas at all since Texas still leads the nation in number of uninsured with a whopping 5,687,000 people uninsured. (24.4%)

Uninsured: The Numbers by State | OldenGoldenDecoy's Blog
  11. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +437 / 10 / -11

#24 Jersey

So because Tort Reform isn't the be all and end all of healthcare we should just bury our heads in the sand and pretend it wouldn't help at all. Right, good thinking.
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2009