PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Do not watch if you have high blood pressure: Ravens game winning FG goes wide right

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looked good to me and one of the few calls the refs got right last night.

It it were Gostkowski's kick,this thread is not made...its strictly fan based overreaction and continuous whining to a game that never should have had this 'controversial' kick become a part of the final score to begin with.

Good or bad, what this tells me is this photo-finish of a kick was so close that Belichick had every right to seek out a referee for clarification about a review... and to be upset that he was being purposely ignored.

Looked good to me and one of the few calls the refs got right last night.

It it were Gostkowski's kick,this thread is not made...its strictly fan based overreaction and continuous whining to a game that never should have had this 'controversial' kick become a part of the final score to begin with.

Well duh. Obviously its not made since we wouldn't want it questioned. The fact is however that it was so close that it is impossible for any of us to say definitively one way or the other. Your statement that it looked good to you is about as conclusive as my statement that it didn't look good to me. And as for the ref, Wilfork had nearly as good a view as he did and you could tell his opinion of it.

OMG with the Zapruder film breakdown. The cellphone camera used here is not directly in the middle, and you can't tell where the ball is due to to placement of the camera. Sorry, this is in no way conclusive. Nice job on the breakdown, but it's not conclusive.

Read this:
88 Brilliant Examples of Forced Perspective Photography | Inspiration | instantShift - Web Design Magazine

Uh, yes you can, and it is conclusive. The only possible source of error is the movement of the camera, but this can be ruled out based on the fact that it was relatively steady and relatively far from the goal post.

Well duh. Obviously its not made since we wouldn't want it questioned. The fact is however that it was so close that it is impossible for any of us to say definitively one way or the other. Your statement that it looked good to you is about as conclusive as my statement that it didn't look good to me. And as for the ref, Wilfork had nearly as good a view as he did and you could tell his opinion of it.

Like I said,its stupid talk...If that kick was off the foot of Gostkowski,no one in here admits it might have not been good,they would have called it clutch and redemption from the arizona game.

As far as Wilfork,the Refs were underneath the pole and had a better view......maybe if Wilfork and his front guys had gotten to Flacco at least once in that final drive,he wouldn't have had anything to complain about,there would have been no FG attempt.

I know,there was no pressure because the Ravens were holding the whole DL the entire final drive :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Like I said,its stupid talk...If that kick was off the foot of Gostkowski,no one in here admits it might have not been good,they would have called it clutch and redemption from the arizona game.

As far as Wilfork,the Refs were underneath the pole and had a better view......maybe if Wilfork and his front guys had gotten to Flacco at least once in that final drive,he wouldn't have had anything to complain about,there would have been no FG attempt.

The rampant holding that resulted in a neutralized pass rush has been discussed ad nauseum.

They could easily install aligned lasers on the edge of the posts, if the ball breaks the laser beam, it sets off a red light = NO GOOD.

:singing::singing::singing:

sorry einstein. you crack me up.

you do realize that sensors work by having a sensor IN OPPOSITION to the laser or light beam (like in an elevator door). That means the sensor beeps when you break the light stream.

So where exactly are you stationing the two sensors for the two posts?
..... GEOSYNCHRONOUS ORBIT??

You can't gauge when the ball grosses the plane from that POV behind the goalposts by a considerable distance. Refs were underneath the goal posts and had the best vantage point on the field and both immediately signaled good.

You mean the same ref's that missed call after call all night long? :cool:

What exactly did they do, for the four previous hours, to win confidence that they made the right call?

Last edited:
You can't gauge when the ball grosses the plane from that POV behind the goalposts by a considerable distance. Refs were underneath the goal posts and had the best vantage point on the field and both immediately signaled good.

First, I suspect most of us agree that this is a done deal, even if the call was blown it wont be changed, so this entire debate is really for the mental exercise, right?

Second, I agree that the official under the one goal post has the best vantage point, much better I think than that of the camera view being discussed.

Third, I think the vantage point of the other official, however, is not good at all, since from that angle he can't really see whether the ball was inside the outside edge of the opposite goal post (as is required). Thus, I don't put much stock in that other official signaling that the kick was good. In fact, it makes me wonder a bit more about why an official without a clear view of where the ball was in relation to the opposite goal post is signaling at all ...

Fourth, I wonder if anyone viewing this knows, is there in fact a replay available from a camera angle or set of camera angles that would be definitive? I'd think you'd need at least two cameras, one positioned in line with and from behind the goal post, and another perpendicular to that positioned in line with the crossbar, and to have the video paired in time, to know for sure. I suspect that setup does not exist, and thus they must rely on the good judgment of the officials.

Tough one to swallow, but even with the regular officials the games rely on their good judgment. The vast majority of time with the regulars, that's plenty enough. With the replacements, its to be expected that it wont be as good, but I've yet to really see much evidence of bias in the three games so far this year. Really comes down simply to the fact that the Pats haven't put it all together well enough these past two games.

x

It looked good to me and I am not PO'd about that call. That kick should have never been for the game - if the refs did not call phony PI's and miss absolute muggings, this game would have been over.

Uh, yes you can, and it is conclusive. The only possible source of error is the movement of the camera, but this can be ruled out based on the fact that it was relatively steady and relatively far from the goal post.

No. The ball flight is not tracked in 3D on your Zapruder film. You're dealing with 2D images. If you move the camera angle to behind the uprights, the placement of the ball will be in a different location in a 2D image.

I know,there was no pressure because the Ravens were holding the whole DL the entire final drive :rolleyes:

I disagree, there would have been a lot of guys on this site and elsewhere saying we stole one and he shouldnt have made it that close, it was a short field goal and he should have kicked it better.

The NFL is giving us an inferior product and we got an L when we should have got a W, the game was an absolute joke, it was the wild west out there with calls being missed and phantom calls being made.
As far as the kick goes, IMHO it was no good and if the reular refs were there Im willing to bet they would have said no good.
Why wasnt that reviewable?
This is from the kickers view and appear to be about the spot it crossed the posts, you make the call.

8018493823_343d174f0f_b.jpg

Last edited:
hmmmmm
looks wide from there. Probably not the most conclusive of positions though.

Not conclusive maybe, but it's for sure the best angle I've seen yet. The camera was lined up PERFECTLY with the upright and the placement of the ball. Doesn't get more exact than that.

I disagree, there would have been a lot of guys on this site and elsewhere saying we stole one and he shouldnt have made it that close, it was a short field goal and he should have kicked it better.

The NFL is giving us an inferior product and we got an L when we should have got a W, the game was an absolute joke, it was the wild west out there with calls being missed and phantom calls being made.
As far as the kick goes, IMHO it was no good and if the reular refs were there Im willing to bet they would have said no good.
Why wasnt that reviewable?
This is from the kickers view and appear to be about the spot it crossed the posts, you make the call.

8018493823_343d174f0f_b.jpg

How could this possibly be from the kicker's view?

Does anyone else think, now I know it could've gone either way with how close it is, but that they called it good without any debate just because they were afraid of the Raven fans??

Not conclusive maybe, but it's for sure the best angle I've seen yet. The camera was lined up PERFECTLY with the upright and the placement of the ball. Doesn't get more exact than that.

Watch it with a straightedge on the screen, that ball was never good!

All I hear in here is excessive ranting about how the Refs called penalties all game on the pats and how there was holding calls all night long that were not called.

Do you really not think the Pats may have gotten away with a lot in the trenches as well or are some of you just blind homers?

The refs called too many dumb penalties and at the same time let too many real penalties go without a flag

Both teams got away with obvious penalties and both teams had stupid ones called against them as well......lets not whine that it was a one way affair..it was bad for both teams and a disgrace to the league

in fact the Ravens were called for 14 times for 135 Yards and the Pats 10 times for 83 Yards with 24 flags thrown all game.

If I was a Raven's fan I would be thanking my lucky stars and taking the win. No doubt about it. But their opinion nor yours means anything as to whether or not the kick was good. This isn't a poll regarding peoples opinion on the kick. Its trying to analyse some visual evidence do determine what ACTUALLY happened.

All I hear in here is excessive ranting about how the Refs called penalties all game on the pats and how there was holding calls all night long that were not called.

Do you really not think the Pats may have gotten away with a lot in the trenches as well or are some of you just blind homers?

The refs called too many dumb penalties and at the same time let too many real penalties go without a flag

Both teams got away with obvious penalties and both teams had stupid ones called against them as well......lets not whine that it was a one way affair..it was bad for both teams and a disgrace to the league

in fact the Ravens were called for 14 times for 135 Yards and the Pats 10 times for 83 Yards with 24 flags thrown all game.

Thats the point, it was an inferior product and the refs decided the game. If we play them again with the regular refs I think we win.
I think both teams fans have a right to complain, the officials were overmatched and it not an enjoyable game to watch, even when the Pats were ahead, the players should decide the game not that mess we had last night.

I thought it was good, my wife thought it was wide right. Like every other scoring play it should be reviewed if it's not completely obvious.

And it would have never come to this if the bend and then break mentality that has plagued the defense for the last 8 years hadn't shown up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back