Welcome to PatsFans.com

Do Not try to do a background search on Obama!

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by DisgruntledTunaFan, May 12, 2010.

1. DisgruntledTunaFan

DisgruntledTunaFan Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

9 indicted on charges of accessing Obama records | US National Headlines | Comcast.net

[​IMG]

DES MOINES, Iowa — Nine people were indicted Wednesday on federal charges of accessing President Barack Obama's student loan records while they were employed for a Department of Education contractor in Iowa.

The U.S. attorney's office said a grand jury returned the indictments in U.S. District Court in Davenport.

All nine are charged with exceeding authorized computer access. They are accused of gaining access to a computer at a Coralville office where they worked between July 2007 and March 2009, and accessing Obama's student loan records while he was either a candidate for president, president-elect or president.

2. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +350 / 8 / -3

#12 Jersey

Yawn!!

So what? No one got upset about this:

Hospital staff fired for accessing medical files of octuplets mother - Telegraph

or this:

Hospital to punish snooping on Spears - Los Angeles Times

It's against the law to illegally access any privacy protected information, medical or financial.

These guys would have been arrested and charged regardless of whose information they improperly accessed.

I say, good. Would you want strangers (or worse, your next door neighbor who you don't get along with or your wife's ex-husband) who happened to work for your bank or your hospital or who happened to have a friend who worked for your bank or your hospital looking up your information for their own amusement or nefarious purpose?
  3. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

What color is the sky on your world?
  4. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +166 / 4 / -4

Didn't you say that the Palin hacker should get 50 years? At any rate, this is another example of the invasion of privacy. How many years should these guys get using your standard? How about 25?
    Last edited: May 12, 2010
  5. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I honestly didn't read the article so I have no idea what they are accused of, if they are guilty, what the potential sentence is, or what I feel they should get. But I think you need to relax. I actually wasn't being critical. I think someone who invades the privacy of the President should get into a little more trouble than someone who invaded the privacy of some everyday schmuck. Just like if you threaten the life of the President, you will get investigated far more rigorously than if you threaten the life of an average Joe.

I think it is foolish to think "These guys would have been arrested and charged regardless of whose information they improperly accessed." Clearly some violations will be dealt with far more harshly than others.
  6. efin98

efin98 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

He wanted 50 for the Palin hacker, this is a worse offense than hacking her email so it's gotta be at least 75 years :rolleyes:

This is no different than the police officers and dispatchers who run celebrity criminal records for "practice"...they shouldn't have done it and should have whatever access to personal information stripped from them and should have either got retrained into less invasive work or simply fired.
    Last edited: May 13, 2010
  7. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +350 / 8 / -3

#12 Jersey

Maybe you should read the article before commenting....they broke a law - and not a law which was specific to any one individual much less the president - which means they would have been arrested regardless.

Each of eight indictments posted by Wednesday night were brief, saying the charged individual "intentionally exceeded authorized access to a computer and thereby obtained information from a department and agency of the United States" and "intentionally accessed student loan records"

Like Patters says, you were pretty vocal about what the Palin hacker should get and how horrible his actions were - you look pretty dam hypocritical for saying that presidential hackers shouldn't get in the same sort of hot water.
  8. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Not necessary, because the article is irrelevant to the comment you made.
    Where the heck have I said anything of the sort? I am advocating the fact the people who do these sorts of things to the President should be dealt with much more harshly than if they did it to some random nobody.

And you're a fool if you think they are going to be treated the same way if they did the same crime to some random nobody. Your own articles support my point since I don't see those people as having been arrested. They were fired, but apparently not arrested.
    Last edited: May 13, 2010
  9. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +333 / 1 / -9

They're afraid somebody will find his real birth certificate.