Welcome to PatsFans.com

Do I need a HDTV if I want an X box 360?

Discussion in 'The PatsFans.com Pub' started by gomezcat, Oct 12, 2007.

1. gomezcat

gomezcat It's SIR Moderator to you Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

..or can I play one adequately through my flatscreen PC monitor? Bear in mind that I can find the money for a 360, but a HDTV isn't happening any time in the next year. Cheers.
  2. Kevin The Pat

Kevin The Pat Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Ummm... size please.
  3. N.Eman

N.Eman Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

I have a ps2 (you can laugh) since last year and there is soooo much difference in playing from my old 19inch standard TV to my new 42inch HDTV. So if you are getting an xbox 360; wait or buy a nice HDTV with it. Doesn't have to be a big ass screen, a 27 inch should work for you. Xbox 360 is way advance than my piece of crap ps2, so a HDTV must be on your list.
  4. Amazon4

Amazon4 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I have an HDTV and am scraping together enough money to replace my ps2 with an xbox 360....can't wait! :rocker:
  5. fleabassist1

fleabassist1 Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

No, you don't need a HDTV. I am running both my modified Xbox GEN2 (I hooked it up with new graphics/fans/computer faceplates) and my 360 off of my crappy Philips. It will look fine on your PC monitor as long as you can hook up the component cables to it - and if your monitor is HD then your good to go.

Although, HDTV and 360 should be married - a 360 looks good where
    ever its played.
  6. gomezcat

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Thanks for the responses. I have a flatscreen monitor, as I said before, but it isn't HD. It has 1280 x 720 resolution. As 360s are really starting to drop in price here, I think I'll get one, probably next month. I won't be getting a PS3 as they are just too expensive. There's a £150 difference. It's a shame because I really liked the PS2.
  7. fleabassist1

fleabassist1 Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

That should work fine for ya'.

The PS3 is a horrible system, I do not recommend it for anyone. It has a few really awsome games, and a blueray dvd system imbedded - but the rumble pack is annoying and it does not broadcast 1080i. Also, those motion things get REALLY annoying after a while.

Just stick with the 360, you get MUCH more for your money - and its no doubt the best system graphics, controls, and entertainment.

Besides, microsoft is developing motion controls similar to the Wii.
  8. Bigdogx

Bigdogx Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

What are you talking about, sony is releasing a 399.00 dollar ps3 in november which will come with a 40gig hd. Go ahead within the next year you will see a trend of more develpors going to the ps3 format as it has pretty much every single advantage over the x-box hardware wise. Lets also go into the fact that almost 40% of all x-boxes sold have burnt out and end up needing to be replaced before even a years use, if you dont mind sending back your x-box for 2+ months while microsoft throws it away for a new one that will do the same in a half year go for the x-box, the ps3 failure rate is under 1%.

Also other features like blu-ray if you have a 1080p tv is amazing and is not a added cost of 200 bucks like the x-box has, along with web browsing, free online play and wireless net and controllers along with blutooth capability.
  9. Amazon4

Amazon4 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I just got my xbox 360 yesterday for my bday (yup...45 and still playing).

I love it! :singing:
  10. gomezcat

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

If we see the sort of prices that they are talking about in Japan, then I'll be interested:
    http://www.mcvuk.com/news/28488/PS3-price-slashed-again-in-Japan
    However, at the moment, the price differential in the UK remains £150 (or $300). We always pay more than you do in North America and I wouldn't be surprised if they try it again.
  11. Bigdogx

Bigdogx Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I cant see the link but how are prices so far apart

ps3 80gig - 599.00
    ps3 60gig - 499.00
    x-box elite - 478.00
    ps3 40gig - 399.00
    x-box premium - 350.00
    x-box core - 279.00 = useless because newer games are going to require a hard drive since they remained cheap and use a DVD drive

All you have to do is hold both in your hands and you can immediately see why almost half of all x-boxes made fail, they are cheap pieces of s@@t not to mention if they turn to hd-dvd format to keep up with the sony's blu media so developers wont have to span x-box games on 10 disks you will then have to spend another 200 bucks for that add on drive, it's no competition of what system is better, ill give it to the x-box for games ATM but in another year the x-box will be yesterdays news, it simply does not have the hardware to compete into the next decade as the Sony will have.
  12. fleabassist1

fleabassist1 Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Um... actually, Xbox Elite failure rate is under 5%, is an all around better system the the more expensive ps3's, broadcasts 1080i, and has a better selection of games. Plus, the internet is only 50 bucks a year. Hardly something to worry about. Also, they elite is more customizable then the ps3. Our elite has almost 900 gigs of space.:bricks:
  13. gomezcat

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

14. Scouse Patriot

Scouse Patriot Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

I was going to get a High Def tv myself but you can still appreciate the step up in graphics on a normal tv so I didn't bother. I will be getting one though as theres no doubting it enhances the experience but I peronsally dont think it's an absolute must you get HD to appreciate the step up in next gen consoles.
  15. Kevin The Pat

Kevin The Pat Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

^ You avatar thief!!!:mad: :bricks:

Um... my 360 isn't exactly sturdy (Three Red Lights of Death) I've had to replace but it really wasn't too much of a pain. I think the Wii is the most bang for your buck but that would be next to impossible with your monitor. Go 360 for the money, but over time I think the PS3 will win the console war... maybe.
  16. Scouse Patriot

Scouse Patriot Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Sorry bud :D

I haven't experienced any problems yet with my 360 and mine is one of the orignal batch, which is supposed to be riddled with faults. Kept getting told it'll go, fall apart and blow the neighbourhood up but nothing so far. Sometimes the disk tray wont go back in without a little nudge but nothing major.

Watch, something will go wrong with it now.:bricks:
  17. gomezcat

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Cheers. I am getting closer and closer to buying one. I reckon I will finally succumb some time in the next couple of months. A mate has just bought one and reckons it's the dog's.
  18. Scouse Patriot

Scouse Patriot Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Your mate would be right. Just get one, be mad :D

It has the edge over the PS3 at the moment, in Europe anyways because of games. Far more of a selection for the 360. I think the only real difference between the ps3 and the 360 is blu ray and if you like playing online I believe it's free for ps3 owners. For XBOX Live you have to pay.

I'm going to get a ps3 though because it's region free and I've been dying to play the ncaa franchise. Despite thousands of requests and petitions EA Sports still wont release it in europe.:violent:
  19. fleabassist1

fleabassist1 Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

The PS3 does have a free playstation network but xbox live is only $50.00 a year. It's even cheaper sometimes depending on the special.
    The blu-ray disk player is the biggest draw of the ps3... but the graphics engine can't compete. I'm not usually for microsoft, but the xbox was better than the ps2 and the 360 is better than the ps3.