PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DL Steve McLendon - the Pittsburgh Steeler RFA the Pats should target

Status
Not open for further replies.
A couple Unsolicited Comments...

1 ~ Not taking sides, but I love Threads like this: Genuine Food For Thought. If I was running this Site, this would be precisely the sort of Thread I'd want to see more of: legitimate Ideas. Bravo, Brother Flyer!! :rocker:

2 ~ I think one thing we can actually agree on is that McLendon is more Unknown Quantity than anything else...However, assuming that 136 Snaps business is correct, then 7 Tackles and 2 Sacks is actually outstanding. :eek:

3 ~ Does anyone know a free Site that provides Snap Count Statistics? The fact that the NFL doesn't provide these itself is unconscionable. It'd be like BaseBall not providing "At Bats." :bricks:

If that were the case size wise why did the Pats aggressively pursue Red Bryant last year and sign fanene? Both 6'4" 315+??

1 ~ Not taking sides, but I love Threads like this: Genuine Food For Thought. If I was running this Site, this would be precisely the sort of Thread I'd want to see more of: legitimate Ideas. Bravo, Brother Flyer!! :rocker:

2 ~ I think one thing we can actually agree on is that McLendon is more Unknown Quantity than anything else...However, assuming that 136 Snaps business is correct, then 7 Tackles and 2 Sacks is actually outstanding. :eek:

3 ~ Does anyone know a free Site that provides Snap Count Statistics? The fact that the NFL doesn't provide these itself is unconscionable. It'd be like BaseBall not providing "At Bats." :bricks:

Agree 1000000%

Thanks OTG.

I've been searching for a snap count site, as well with no success.

There were many writers, and fans that were mystified by mclendons lack of playing time last year.

One site went on to project his stats to equal hamptons tackles, and register 7 sacks to hamptons 0, if he had been given hamptons snap count last year.

Not that I want to pay this kid starter money but it is worth saying he did have more sacks and stuffs than Love or Deaderick in as you pointed out 1/3 the snaps.

I'm not sure we should be basing signing DLs by the fact that they had 2 sacks.

The biggest judgment of a FA IMO is what his own team thought of him, and I'm sorry, but a guy who only gets on the field for 136 snaps all season is not highly thought of. A guy who is tender at no comp appears to be not highly thought of. A guy who isn't resigned before he its RFA when it could clearly be done very cheaply appears to not be highly thought of.

I'm not saying the guy sucks, I'm saying discussing him like he is a starter seems to be overrating him quite a bit.

If that were the case size wise why did the Pats aggressively pursue Red Bryant last year and sign fanene? Both 6'4" 315+??

Fanene is 6'2 290, actually evident of the fact that BB is going smaller on the DL.
Bryant is that big though.
I don't think BB rules in or out any player based on size, but he has preferences.
It seems that he has moved to smaller DEs and using DEs at DT in the sub.
I'm just not sure what we would do with a guy who has been exclusively a NT in our 43 with Vince Wilfork on the roster.

But good players are getting a higher tender so it would seem there is a reason right?
Cruz is one example. There are others.
Yeah, but Cruz isn't a good example. Its an apples to oranges example. Cruz has been virtually a 2 year starter who has produced at the highest levels. So far McClendon has been a career back up who is only now starting so show that he has the "potential" to be something more.

If I understand this correctly, if the Steelers were to tender McClendon for some compensation, even at a 3rd round level, it would require them to tender him at about $2.5MM. or at about twice where they are at now.

Andy, the Steelers have been reconstructing contracts like crazy this off season so they could get to where they are right now, which is just $2.5MM under....before the draft. They can't afford to tender McClendon higher. They could barely afford to tender Sanders at the 3rd round level.

For several page one of your biggest points was that if the Steelers really felt strongly about him they would have tendered him higher. Well the fact is they can't afford to. As it it is they are offering him TWICE what they have to pay him as a 4th year vet, So given their cap situation, that says something.

Remember no one has ever said that this kid is a sure fire starter, or impact player. What we are talking about is a guy who from reports has potential. He COULD develop into a solid starter....or not. He is one of those guys who MIGHT become something much more than his first few years imply. Guys like Vrabel, Velker, Ninkovich, all fit into this mold. OR he could end up like many nameless JAC's who never do develop

All the Flyer was offering was a reasonable case for a player who COULD fit the profile of a position we are looking to upgrade. A player we could probably get for less than $2MM/yr. That's not a big risk, given the potential reward. Its one I WISH we had made for Martin.

On the plus side, maybe if we signed McClendon or Sanders, Florio might just shut up about a league wide collusion on RFA. ;)

Yeah, but Cruz isn't a good example. Its an apples to oranges example. Cruz has been virtually a 2 year starter who has produced at the highest levels. So far McClendon has been a career back up who is only now starting so show that he has the "potential" to be something more.

If I understand this correctly, if the Steelers were to tender McClendon for some compensation, even at a 3rd round level, it would require them to tender him at about $2.5MM. or at about twice where they are at now.

Andy, the Steelers have been reconstructing contracts like crazy this off season so they could get to where they are right now, which is just $2.5MM under....before the draft. They can't afford to tender McClendon higher. They could barely afford to tender Sanders at the 3rd round level.

For several page one of your biggest points was that if the Steelers really felt strongly about him they would have tendered him higher. Well the fact is they can't afford to. As it it is they are offering him TWICE what they have to pay him as a 4th year vet, So given their cap situation, that says something.

Remember no one has ever said that this kid is a sure fire starter, or impact player. What we are talking about is a guy who from reports has potential. He COULD develop into a solid starter....or not. He is one of those guys who MIGHT become something much more than his first few years imply. Guys like Vrabel, Velker, Ninkovich, all fit into this mold. OR he could end up like many nameless JAC's who never do develop

All the Flyer was offering was a reasonable case for a player who COULD fit the profile of a position we are looking to upgrade. A player we could probably get for less than $2MM/yr. That's not a big risk, given the potential reward. Its one I WISH we had made for Martin.

On the plus side, maybe if we signed McClendon or Sanders, Florio might just shut up about a league wide collusion on RFA. ;)

Excellent post, sir. Very well said.

Cruz is a very good example to counter the argumnet that you don't have to tender anyone higher because no one signs any RFAs. THAT was the argument given.

If he is a starter they would easily pay that. However, they could also have signed him to a longer term deal at similar cost.

My point is simply that if he were a vital player there is more they do/could have done.

No, they can't pay him less than the tender.
They could have tendered him higher, they could have signed him longer term. Doesn't mean they hate him, just means calling him a starter is dubious.

Remember no one has ever said that this kid is a sure fire starter, or impact player.
The OP did, and that is the point of the discussion. If the OP said he could come here and help situationally for 10-12 plays a game, it would have been a totally different discussion.

What we are talking about is a guy who from reports has potential. He COULD develop into a solid starter....or not. He is one of those guys who MIGHT become something much more than his first few years imply. Guys like Vrabel, Velker, Ninkovich, all fit into this mold. OR he could end up like many nameless JAC's who never do develop
If THAT is what you are talking about then none of my conmments apply to you. The poster I was responding to rated him much higher than that, at least to start with.

He has spoken for himself not sure why you are trying to speak for him. That is not what the OP said.

I could not care less what Florio says. He is useless to me.

Cruz is a very good example to counter the argumnet that you don't have to tender anyone higher because no one signs any RFAs. THAT was the argument given.

If he is a starter they would easily pay that. However, they could also have signed him to a longer term deal at similar cost.

My point is simply that if he were a vital player there is more they do/could have done.

No, they can't pay him less than the tender.
They could have tendered him higher, they could have signed him longer term. Doesn't mean they hate him, just means calling him a starter is dubious.

The OP did, and that is the point of the discussion. If the OP said he could come here and help situationally for 10-12 plays a game, it would have been a totally different discussion.

If THAT is what you are talking about then none of my conmments apply to you. The poster I was responding to rated him much higher than that, at least to start with.

He has spoken for himself not sure why you are trying to speak for him. That is not what the OP said.

I could not care less what Florio says. He is useless to me.

Once again you continue to make things up.

Please show me one post i have made claiming him to be a starter, for the pats?

I said, at the least he could be a good rotational player, for the pats.

He is going to have a shot at a starting job in pitt. This year whether you choose to believe it, or not.

Two words I have consistantly used in this debate is, COULD, and POTENTIAL.
I have never proclaimed him to be the end all be all.
I have no idea where you continue to come up with your claims in your constant ramblings of "well the OP said"
When in reality I didn't.

Don't worry about it flyer the vast majority of us get your point. He's a player we might want to look at.

Don't worry about it flyer the vast majority of us get your point. He's a player we might want to look at.

Thanks man.
It just drives me nuts when people put words in my mouth....that aren't my words at all.

Once again you continue to make things up.

Please show me one post i have made claiming him to be a starter, for the pats?

I said, at the least he could be a good rotational player, for the pats.

He is going to have a shot at a starting job in pitt. This year whether you choose to believe it, or not.

Two words I have consistantly used in this debate is, COULD, and POTENTIAL.
I have never proclaimed him to be the end all be all.
I have no idea where you continue to come up with your claims in your constant ramblings of "well the OP said"
When in reality I didn't.

I'm just responding to your comments.

He started and played in several games.
I guess we will all find out this year when he gets his first chance at being a starter.
He is the heir apparent,
Steelers are planning on using him at NT in 4-3 fronts, and moving him to DE in the 3-4.
This could be the gem the Pats steal out of Pittsburgh.
mclendon is ahead of both hood, and heyward
Those are all your words, and that is what I am responding to. I am not putting words in your mouth, just reading the ones you write.
Not quite sure how you figure he passed Hood and Heyward, btw.

Interesting to point out Red Bryant because he had 14 tackles and 0 sacks last season playing major snaps. Actually for the matter this kid matched Bryant's career sack output of 2 in a 136 snaps last season. So it's clear these type of players can't be valued through statistics.

I'm not sure we should be basing signing DLs by the fact that they had 2 sacks.

The biggest judgment of a FA IMO is what his own team thought of him, and I'm sorry, but a guy who only gets on the field for 136 snaps all season is not highly thought of. A guy who is tender at no comp appears to be not highly thought of. A guy who isn't resigned before he its RFA when it could clearly be done very cheaply appears to not be highly thought of.

I'm not saying the guy sucks, I'm saying discussing him like he is a starter seems to be overrating him quite a bit.

Like I said bro I'm not sold on the guy being a starter or even worth signing. I was just pointing out he did ok in his limited snaps came on toward the end of the year with 2 strong games in week 16 and 17.

I do agree with him not being worth what its likely to cost.

Like I said bro I'm not sold on the guy being a starter or even worth signing. I was just pointing out he did ok in his limited snaps came on toward the end of the year with 2 strong games in week 16 and 17.

I do agree with him not being worth what its likely to cost.

Again he played 8 and 10 snaps in those 2 games and got a half sack in each. I don't know that I consider those strong games.
Not trying to trash the guy, he is what he is, perhaps there is potential, but career to date, he just hasn't gotten much done on the field.

"My point is simply that if he were a vital player there is more they do/could have done".

Maybe because he's an undrafted free agent whose value the Steelers can only understand?

Hell - I don't care about Steve McLendon, but as a UDFA who didn't get a lot of playing time, the Steelers did show that the franchise does want him. THE DUDE IS A UDFA! THE F'ING STEELERS PROB WANT TO UNDERPAY THE GUY, BECAUSE MOST FRONT EXECUTIVES DO NOT F'ING KNOW HIS TRUE VALUE AS MUCH AS THE STEELERS EXECUTIVES.

Stop being a f'ing douche. The udfa got tendered, so he has some f'ing value. AJ is a douche.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back