PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DL Steve McLendon - the Pittsburgh Steeler RFA the Pats should target

Status
Not open for further replies.
Again, that makes sense too, but if we were talking about a vital player, which was the OPs POV, they would be working to protect him, IMO.

There is no need to, IMO. There has been no offers made to a RFA since 2010.

BTW, OP did not call him a vital player. He said that he could be a gem.

Come on. By that logic Mike Vrabel is proof that every player on every bench is a star waiting to happen.
McLendon is not that blocked for playing time. Hampton is not an every down player, and if he also should be playing 34 DE the players Pitt has there are not exactly dominant.

Pittsburgh is stacked on the DL? Really?

They were up until last year.

He will have his shot this year. We'll see.

There is no need to, IMO. There has been no offers made to a RFA since 2010.

BTW, OP did not call him a vital player. He said that he could be a gem.

If thats the case, why are other teams giving high tenders?
Could it be that teams are putting high compensation on the RFAs that teams would want, and that is why there have been none? That wouldn't fit this example. If there was no worry of any RFA be signed, Victor Cruz would have gotten the no comp one, for example.
I would consider starter at NT in the 43 and DE in the 34 vital.

Could it be that teams are putting high compensation on the RFAs that teams would want, and that is why there have been none? That wouldn't fit this example. If there was no worry of any RFA be signed, Victor Cruz would have gotten the no comp one, for example.

Lets try this one more time...

CAP ROOM.

Exactly, I'm pretty sure his playing time went up last year, as opposed to his first few years when they were set at DL.

No. He only played 136 snaps last year. That was 14% of the snaps.
Even on a 'loaded DL' that is miniscule.

3 years 6mill
2 mill sb
Salaries of 650k, 1.5mill, 1.85mill.

Why in the world would the player agree to that contract?

I'm sure he, and his agent hold his value a little more realistic than you.

Lets try this one more time...

CAP ROOM.

They could have tenedered him higher. They could have offered him a long term contract. As a guy who played 136 snaps, and is facing a 1.3mill tender, I'm sure he would be thrilled at the offer, especially considering no one seems to be too interested in grabbing him up.

Why in the world would the player agree to that contract?

I'm sure he, and his agent hold his value a little more realistic than you.

I'm sure you would, but the reality is he is a backup DL that plays a position that is being de-emphiasized, has seen no interest as an RFA and stands to play on a tender of 1.3mill. I'm giving him double that up front.
What do you think he is worth?

No. He only played 136 snaps last year. That was 14% of the snaps.
Even on a 'loaded DL' that is miniscule.

My goodness...I said up until last year. Meaning they were not stacked last year, but years previous they were.

They only played him at NT last year behind Hampton.
They are talking about using him more at end this year, as well as nose.
His snap count will go up.

I'm sure you would, but the reality is he is a backup DL that plays a position that is being de-emphiasized, has seen no interest as an RFA and stands to play on a tender of 1.3mill. I'm giving him double that up front.
What do you think he is worth?

I'm not even going down this road, but I'd think he'd be looking, for a deal longer than 3 years.

3 years 6mill
2 mill sb
Salaries of 650k, 1.5mill, 1.85mill.

If you thought that you were going to be a starter, why would you agree now to backup money?

I'm not even going down this road, but I'd think he'd be looking, for a deal longer than 3 years.

That doesn't really make sense. Why would a guy who is a backup playing 14% of the downs want to get a long term deal?
It would make more sense if he rolled the dice and didn't lock himself in thinking he would prove he is worth more, if he thinks he is.
As it is, why wouldn't he want to double his 2013 income if it means signing for 3 years?

If you thought that you were going to be a starter, why would you agree now to backup money?

Foxboro Flyer thinks he is going to be a starter.
I'm being realistic about a guy who played 136 snaps and hasn't had any interest as an RFA.

As I said before, my point was that there is no need to give a player a higher tender than you need to. Why tender McLendon at the 2nd round level when the ROFR level will suffice?

My goodness...I said up until last year. Meaning they were not stacked last year, but years previous they were.

They only played him at NT last year behind Hampton.
They are talking about using him more at end this year, as well as nose.
His snap count will go up.

Hampton played 50% of the snaps.

That doesn't really make sense. Why would a guy who is a backup playing 14% of the downs want to get a long term deal?
It would make more sense if he rolled the dice and didn't lock himself in thinking he would prove he is worth more, if he thinks he is.
As it is, why wouldn't he want to double his 2013 income if it means signing for 3 years?

I believe he will play out his deal this year, and turn in a nice season, and cash in next year. It makes no sense, for him to sign an extension for backup money when this could be his year to prove his value in a vastly larger role in pittsburgh.

Foxboro Flyer thinks he is going to be a starter.
I'm being realistic about a guy who played 136 snaps and hasn't had any interest as an RFA.

FoxboroFlyer and I are giving our opinions. Our opinions like yours are based on facts, our understanding of the NFL, and our understanding of the salary cap.

Do not see how yours are more realistic. Yours is just a differing interpretation of the facts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back