PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DL Jonathan Fanene to be released?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not that I specifically disagree with what you are saying, buy there is a salary cap in future years as well. When a player is signed to a multi-year deal, it may be the salary cap of the future that needs to be reduced.
If I am not mistaken, there will be dead money associated with Fanene's contract rolled over into 2013.

Love has progressed to the point I'd call him starting caliber. As long as Brace continues his surprising play then I like our young heavies.
You can scratch off Fanene from your signature.

One of the links said it's rumored he's going for arthroscopic knee surgery later in the week.
If that's the case I don't understand why they don't just IR him.

You think Pryor is better than Wilfork, Love and Deaderick?

Slightly better than Wilfork. Infinitely better than the other two. I'm ONLY talking pass rush--that's his role and that was to be fanene's role. The others are clearly more stout against the run.

Last edited:
Love has progressed to the point I'd call him starting caliber. As long as Brace continues his surprising play then I like our young heavies.

I think Love is a lot better than that. He is not just mere starting caliber he is a high performing starter who is a key cog in the front seven. I would say he is our second best D linemen.

They must really be high on Francis or they are on the phone with Andre Carter as we speak..

Brace was good last night but can we rely on him? Do you think we will bring someone in?

I think Love is a lot better than that. He is not just mere starting caliber he is a high performing starter who is a key cog in the front seven. I would say he is our second best D linemen.

I would go out on a limb and say Love is going to be viewed as a top 20 DT in the NFL by the end of 2012/2013

Not that I specifically disagree with what you are saying, buy there is a salary cap in future years as well. When a player is signed to a multi-year deal, it may be the salary cap of the future that needs to be reduced.

No, not in this case. You don't eat $3.95M in sunk cost in 2012-13 because you suddenly decided it would be better to clear $1.28M off your 2014 cap (which is in fine shape). You do it because there is no future upside to adding another $900K to your sunk cost IYO.

According to Clayton the team knew about his knee situation before they signed him but decided to continue to work him instead of PUP him. Bedard wonders if medical didn't miss something. Having inflamation isn't always something that keeps a team from signing a guy in March or April. Coming to terms with it's more than that, perhaps even deciding it was something chronic like artheritis that wasn't going to get better even with a scope, is another. They obviously don't think he's going to be worth further investment, throwing bad money after good which was what Polian did back in 2006-07 with his big FA DT signing who played in a handful of games in year one and never made it back on the field in year two and cost him $13M... This organization is more inclined to cut their losses and move on.

If that's the case I don't understand why they don't just IR him.

Because they think his issue won't be amenable to surgery and they think it is chronic and will dog him from here on out and they don't want to pay him another $900K for the opportunity to find out.

If I am not mistaken, there will be dead money associated with Fanene's contract rolled over into 2013.

His dead money hit is $3.95M (his signing bonus and a $100K workout bonus from this season). $1.28M in amortization and the $100K is already on this season's cap. The balance will accelerate and be spread over this season and next since it's after June 1. I'm not sure just how the division works and I don't want the ice cream headache of looking into it... Jason will have the numbers up on his cap site shortly.

Or it is possible that they both know that he can have the surgery and be back in a few months and don't want him IR'ed for the year but also can't save the roster spot.

That would seem to be a mutually beneficial agreement to come to. Maybe they were hoping the 8 week IR would come through (idiotic that the players wouldn't agree to it). This would seem to be the next best thing and as has been noted there is precedent.

Last edited:
That sucks, I was excited about his addition. Well I hope Brace and Pryor can actually stay healthy for once.

His dead money hit is $3.95M (his signing bonus and a $100K workout bonus from this season). $1.28M in amortization and the $100K is already on this season's cap. The balance will accelerate and be spread over this season and next since it's after June 1. I'm not sure just how the division works and I don't want the ice cream headache of looking into it... Jason will have the numbers up on his cap site shortly.

Am I correct that if a) somebody picks him up off waivers, the Pats can match the offer and keep him, giving them the chance to re-structure his current deal? And, b) if he clears waivers, the Pats can claim him, put him on IR and nothing is lost except this season to injury? It's a Jake Ballard in reverse. Right?

If the Patriots can IR Fanene after he clears waivers, stashing Fanene and Ballard is pretty good sleight of hand by Trader Bill.

Last edited:
You can't IR a player without their permission.

If he didn't want to be IR'd the Pats had only 2 choices, keep him on the roster and waste a roster space till he is healthy or cut him.

From Fanene's perspective he can now rehab his knee and when fit re-sign with another team mid-season and get another signing bonus, as opposed to being IR'd and missing the whole season.

I thought the same thing. TIL

This actually makes IRing Denard much easier than I thought.

Last edited:
Am I correct that if he a) somebody picks him up off waivers, the Pats can match the offer and keep him, giving them the chance to re-structure his current deal? And, b) if he clears waivers, the Pats can claim him, put him on IR and nothing is lost except this season to injury? It's a Jake Ballard in reverse. Right?

If the Patriots can IR Fanene after he clears waivers, stashing Fanene and Ballard is pretty good sleight of hand by Trader Bill.

Nope. As a vested vet he was outright released. No waivers, and that's not how they work anyway. No matching offers. They could have placed him on IR without waiving him. They didn't. He's a UFA immediately. He's GONE.

I thought the same thing. TIL

This actually makes IRing Denard much easier than I thought.

Nope. Dennard is not a vested vet. He's like Ballard. Can't IR him until cut down to the 53 or he has to clear waivers to be placed on our IR.

Because they think his issue won't be amenable to surgery and they think it is chronic and will dog him from here on out and they don't want to pay him another $900K for the opportunity to find out.

Why not? They've already spent almost $4M for the opportunity, what's $900K at this point?

I think this is about two things:

(1) Brace was great against the Eagles first team on Monday
(2) Fanene has done nothing in an extended camp

Cut Brace and he'll sign with the Bills. Cut Fanene and he'll be out of football for a year. In a competitive camp, what's the better move?

Not making direct comparisons, except to say BB's willingness to play the guy who's performing over the guy who we've paid a lot of money is what gave the ball to Brady over Bledsoe in 2001.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back