PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DL Jonathan Fanene to be released?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pryor is now the best interior rusher on the team. Hope he can stay healthy for once.

You think Pryor is better than Wilfork, Love and Deaderick?

I assume you mean Red Bryant?

Yeah, Bryant is definitely a better player than Fanene even without this hindsight - but he was quite a bit more expensive. Bryant received a $5 million signing bonus and has $14.5 million guaranteed; a $4 million cap # in 2012, $7.5 million next year and $8.5 million in 2014. By comparison Fanene had less than $4 million guaranteed and his cap numbers would have been $2.2, $3.2 and $4.2 million.

Didn't Bryant get injured, too?

Last edited:
You think Pryor is better than Wilfork, Love and Deaderick?

I think Pryor is the best pass rusher of those players, but he's not as good against the run, doesn't play the 2-gap, and hasn't proven he can produce game after game. But he's disruptive the few plays he's been on the field.

Does Bill know when cut down day is? Seems like we are riding a little light right now by like 5 players.

Cutting Koepplin gives the kid time to catch on with another team. He's got an amazingly strong leg and there are teams that could use him even if they don't want to admit it.

Kyle Hill wasn't making the team and he couldn't even get time in the game over Nick McDonald who was playing out of position at OT.

Fanene is the biggest surprise. While the $4 million was "guaranteed", if it wasn't guaranteed against injury, then Fanene may have to return a portion of it.

I wouldn't be surprised to see BB make a trade for someone from the Eagles. They have 9 D-linemen and keeping them all really isn't gonna work for them.

Does Bill know when cut down day is? Seems like we are riding a little light right now by like 5 players.

Only 6 days to 80 and 9 to 53. Bill may not want to be in position to expose some of his PS candidates to waivers in 6 days or cut anyone he may yet retain in less than 9. May also want to have ample flexibility to add others cuts in the interim.

Cutting Koepplin gives the kid time to catch on with another team. He's got an amazingly strong leg and there are teams that could use him even if they don't want to admit it.

Kyle Hill wasn't making the team and he couldn't even get time in the game over Nick McDonald who was playing out of position at OT.

Fanene is the biggest surprise. While the $4 million was "guaranteed", if it wasn't guaranteed against injury, then Fanene may have to return a portion of it.

I wouldn't be surprised to see BB make a trade for someone from the Eagles. They have 9 D-linemen and keeping them all really isn't gonna work for them.

It was $3.85M and it was reported as a signing bonus so he gets it unless it was misreported as one.

Only 6 days to 80 and 9 to 53. Bill may not want to be in position to expose some of his PS candidates to waivers in 6 days or cut anyone he may yet retain in less than 9. May also want to have ample flexibility to add others cuts in the interim.

That's what I'm guessing it is, Mo.

Any thoughts on whether the whole 3.85 was guaranteed against injury with Fanane?

EDIT: Sorry, didn't see the post in front of me.

Last edited:
You can't IR a player without their permission.

If he didn't want to be IR'd the Pats had only 2 choices, keep him on the roster and waste a roster space till he is healthy or cut him.

From Fanene's perspective he can now rehab his knee and when fit re-sign with another team mid-season and get another signing bonus, as opposed to being IR'd and missing the whole season.

If he didn't want to be IR'd the Pats had only 2 choices, keep him on the roster and waste a roster space till he is healthy or cut him.

From Fanene's perspective he can now rehab his knee and when fit re-sign with another team mid-season and get another signing bonus, as opposed to being IR'd and missing the whole season.

Could you please provide the section of the CBA that says you can't IR a player without their permission? I believe that is 100% false.

Also, Fanene could have been IRed and then accepted an injury settlement from the Pats and been free to sign with another team or wait and re-sign with the Pats as Larry Centers did way way back.

Did not expect this. Maybe he'll be back once healthy?

$4M for 4 months of nothing.

This is a sign though that getting down to 53 is going to be tough.

This signals that they're getting serious about the Tampa Bay trip. Starters and guys on the bubble will get the playing time and the game planning. The guys who couldn't get on the field and perform will not make the trip and be gone.

I wonder if Dennard will be cut loose.

The good news is that the game is Friday and it's already Tuesday. The bad news is they played last night and the game is Friday. Friday night should be fun to watch. My guess is we see a laser show.

Has anyone ever considered that with Fanene needing surgery, Love and Brace emerging, Bill is clearing space and CAP, in order to re-sign Andre Carter ? :eek::eek::cool:

That really doesn't sound right....

Has anyone ever considered that with Fanene needing surgery, Love and Brace emerging, Bill is clearing space and CAP, in order to re-sign Andre Carter ? :eek::eek::cool:

He had space and he didn't save cap space, he lost some. Fanene's remaining dead cap amortization from his signing bonus for 2013-2014 ($2.57M) now accelerates and is spread over this season and next. In addition to the $1.28M that was already there. That # will be greater than the $900K salary they don't have to pay him this season.

That really doesn't sound right....

It is and isn't. The player has to agree that he is unable to play. They could IR him but then they might eventually be on the hook for millions more (his $900K 2012 salary and potentially an injury settlement. He likely thinks he can play again this season and they likely don't. So rather than slug it out in arbitration and pay him more, they are agreeing to just move on and he's agreeing that the SB covers whatever ails him if he can't.

Wow....

This was from just a couple of days ago (17th, I believe):

I'm looking for locks, and I'm seeing:

DL:
Wilfork
Love
Deaderick

DE/OLB:
Jones
Ninkovich

LB:
Spikes
Hightower
Mayo

I'd consider Fanene a lock if I knew the injury was minor enough that he'll return, and I consider Bequette about as close to a lock as you get without actually being one, given his draft status this year.

That likely leaves 6 spots in contention, and it could be just 5 if Carter's re-signed.

Either this is about the injury and I did ok, or I was off by a mile. Either way, this should make Brace feel a little more comfortable about his job.

Last edited:
Well that sucks. Waste of $4M, hopefully Brace can finally stay healthy.

He had space and he didn't save cap space, he lost some. Fanene's remaining dead cap amortization from his signing bonus for 2013-2014 ($2.57M) now accelerates and is spread over this season and next. In addition to the $1.28M that was already there. That # will be greater than the $900K salary they don't have to pay him this season.

Not that I specifically disagree with what you are saying, buy there is a salary cap in future years as well. When a player is signed to a multi-year deal, it may be the salary cap of the future that needs to be reduced.

Love has progressed to the point I'd call him starting caliber. As long as Brace continues his surprising play then I like our young heavies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back