PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DL Jonathan Fanene to be released?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was it ever made clear if the Gallery signing bonus was returned?

Why not IR him, if he's hurt? Wasn't this a 3-year deal?

well, in watching the game last night, #97 looked pretty darn good at times. I think thats ron brace. hopefully he has emerged (finally) and is ready to make a difference

Well that sucks.

Is there a rule that because he's in the 90 that he has to clear waivers before IR?

or does vested status exclude that?

Last edited:
I'm not 100% up on the new cap rules, but I know non-vested veterans have to be waived and pass through waivers before they can go to IR before the start of the season. That may be what they are doing with Fanene.
I think you have got in nailed. Evidently his knee isn't responding, and they can't wait any longer. And you are right, the Pats have to expose him to the waiver wire before they can IR him. I doubt very much if anyone would want to take on his contract under these conditions. So in all likelihood Fanene will get IRed on Thursday.

On a positive note it's possible that the plan all along is to have him put on that new 8 game IR and he'll be healthy enough to comeback at mid year. This way he still has a chance to contribute, and we don't lose that valuable roster spot

Last edited:

Someone (SMY?) on Twitter just hinted that it may be arthritic. If that is the case, it is doubtful it gets better with time and the amount for which he is owed will outweigh his potential impact.

I'm disappointed with Fanne injury. i would rahher have signed Red Barber.

But I was liking what Brace was doing. He has the size to do what no one else on the roster can do, and for which he was drafted. That is to spell Wilfork and give him a blow, without opening a hole.

With the development of both Love and Brace, joining Wilfolk, we have a triumvirate of "Big Uglies" to stuff the run and blockers, and then let the "SEC D" LBs clean up. On a rotation, they can and do provide an interior rush to go with the emphais on the edge pass rushing.

Overlooked last season was the porousness of the Defense to the run, along with the Safety problems.

It just goes to show how tough the roster competition is going to be if they can't afford to keep him on long enough to IR.

Was it ever made clear if the Gallery signing bonus was returned?

If I recall correctly when a player retires (e.g., Light, Gallery) the amount is removed from the team's salary cap - but whether or not it is actually repaid is a private matter.

Assuming that is the case I'm surprised nobody like PFT or a fan of another team has not made a big deal about it (i.e., 'cheaters, cheaters').

I think you have got in nailed. Evidently his knee isn't responding, and they can't wait any longer. And you are right, the Pats have to expose him to the waiver wire before they can IR him. I doubt very much if anyone would want to take on his contract under these conditions. So in all likelihood Fanene will get IRed on Thursday.

On a positive note it's possible that the plan all along is to have him put on that new 8 game IR and he'll be healthy enough to comeback at mid year. This way he still has a chance to contribute, and we don't lose that valuable roster spot

Mo has pointed out that the NFLPA did not approve the 8 game IR. Bummer.

Apologies if I'm wrong here

Someone (SMY?) on Twitter just hinted that it may be arthritic. If that is the case, it is doubtful it gets better with time and the amount for which he is owed will outweigh his potential impact.

Sounds like a best guess. I doubt the Patriots divulged that to her.

:bricks: Man this is really depressing. I was looking forward to the guy making an impact here this year. Guess his injury problems are even worse then I imagined.

But I was liking what Brace was doing. He has the size to do what no one else on the roster can do, and for which he was drafted. That is to spell Wilfork and give him a blow, without opening a hole.

With the development of both Love and Brace, joining Wilfolk, we have a triumvirate of "Big Uglies" to stuff the run and blockers, and then let the "SEC D" LBs clean up. On a rotation, they can and do provide an interior rush to go with the emphais on the edge pass rushing.

Overlooked last season was the porousness of the Defense to the run, along with the Safety problems.

Pryor is now the best interior rusher on the team. Hope he can stay healthy for once.

Does Bill know when cut down day is? Seems like we are riding a little light right now by like 5 players.

:bricks: Man this is really depressing. I was looking forward to the guy making an impact here this year. Guess his injury problems are even worse then I imagined.
Don't despair Joey, IF he clears waivers, AND his injuries aren't too bad, he still might make an impact. And that impact will come in the most important part of the season.

Well, once again it's looking like Ron Brace is getting another shot on our squad. This is is last chance he better not screw it up.

Last edited:
$3.85 million signing bonus. Yikes.

I assume you mean Red Bryant?

Yeah, Bryant is definitely a better player than Fanene even without this hindsight - but he was quite a bit more expensive. Bryant received a $5 million signing bonus and has $14.5 million guaranteed; a $4 million cap # in 2012, $7.5 million next year and $8.5 million in 2014. By comparison Fanene had less than $4 million guaranteed and his cap numbers would have been $2.2, $3.2 and $4.2 million.

If I recall correctly when a player retires (e.g., Light, Gallery) the amount is removed from the team's salary cap - but whether or not it is actually repaid is a private matter.

Assuming that is the case I'm surprised nobody like PFT or a fan of another team has not made a big deal about it (i.e., 'cheaters, cheaters').

Actually the opposite is true. You only get credit if you recoup the money, but recouping it is a matter of team discretion. I doubt they let Gallery retain it. They do that for guys like TJ or Tedy who more than earned it. Atlanta was entitled to Vick's and wanted it but was limited to credit for what they could actually get back via the court. What they did get back was credited after the fact once in hand.

Keeping him on IR just adds insult to injury financially as it would pay him an additional $900K in salary. The $3.85M is sunk cost - might as well absorb a little more of it now. And if they feel it's arthritic in nature a scope may not help all that much and with an expected ban on Toradol coming as early as this season...the roster spot is more valuable between now and opening day. As well as the mindset which around here is move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back