PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DL Jonathan Fanene to be released?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brady2Moss

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
Just got a scorecenter update saying John Clayton is reporting Fanene is to be released.. extremely odd given his signing bonus. Hopefully this is just someone screwing wtih BSPN in the organization.

Wow! That was out of left field.

Is he a vested veteran? They might be trying to pass him through waivers to get him to IR if not. I doubt anyone would pick him up off of waivers.

Looks like his knee ain't right.

Between he and Pryor, we can't get an interior rusher healthy to save our lives.

Hopefully Love and continue to show progress and BB can cast Aura of Invincibility on Brace.

It was a 3 year deal so why did they not just IR him? Sigh here's to another year of hoping Ron Brace learns how to play football and overusing Wilfork!

Last edited:
It was a 3 year deal so why did they not just IR him? Sigh here's to another year of depending on Ron Brace and overusing Wilfork!

I'm not 100% up on the new cap rules, but I know non-vested veterans have to be waived and pass through waivers before they can go to IR before the start of the season. That may be what they are doing with Fanene.

Waste of a nice signing bonus. Pity, he looked good before he got hurt,

Fanene expected to be released

Source -- New England Patriots to cut offseason addition Jonathan Fanene - ESPN Boston

Considering he hasn't been on the field I'm not surprised, however, I am disappointed. He was going to be pretty helpful had he been healthy.

Oh well, our DL isn't something i'm overly concerned with with guys like Love stepping up, Wilfork already anchoring it, Cunningham having a strong camp and bouncing back, Jones playing great for a rookie, Brace flashing skills at times lately, etc.

Edit: And Patriots confirm it.

Last edited:
Fanene to be cut? Looks like I'll have to tweak my guestimated 53. Again.

Fanene is a vested veteran. For some reason I thought he was in his fourth or fifth year. Apparently, he is an UFA.

If he is getting surgery, I assume he will be available for a while. Maybe they have an agreement to pick him up later in the season.

It was a 3 year deal so why did they not just IR him? Sigh here's to another year of hoping Ron Brace learns how to play football and overusing Wilfork!

Yeah, I'll believe it when I see it. While Clayton may indeed have his sources, he has been wrong more than once on his 'insider' scops.

Releasing him only saves the Pats $900k in real money, while accelerating the next two years worth of pro-rated bonus (an additional $2,566,667).

It makes more sense to IR Fanene than to release him.

Yeah, I'll believe it when I see it. While Clayton may indeed have his sources, he has been wrong more than once on his 'insider' scops.

Releasing him only saves the Pats $900k in real money, while accelerating the next two years worth of pro-rated bonus (an additional $2,566,667).

It makes more sense to IR Fanene than to release him.

It's already done.

New England Patriots ‏@Patriots
#Patriots have released DL Jonathan Fanene, OL Kyle Hill & K Chris Koepplin.

harrison and fortson move up the pecking order

Did not expect this. Maybe he'll be back once healthy?

$4M for 4 months of nothing.

This is a sign though that getting down to 53 is going to be tough.

I know people are biatching about the signing bonus, but who cares? It isn't our money. The Pats haven't had cap issues in year and I don't know if this will affect their cap much going forward. It is Kraft's money, not ours.

It's already done.

Yeah, I just saw that.

Clayton 1, jmt57 0

Patriots release three players

The New England Patriots announced today that they have released DL Jonathan Fanene, OL Kyle Hill and K Chris Koepplin.

Fanene, 30, was signed by the Patriots as an unrestricted free agent from Cincinnati on March 20, 2012. He is a veteran of seven NFL seasons with the Cincinnati Bengals. The 6-4, 285-pounder originally entered the NFL as a seventh-round draft pick (233rd overall) by Cincinnati in 2005 out of Utah. He has registered 12.5 sacks in his last two full NFL seasons with 6.5 in 2011 and 6.0 in 2009. Fanene was limited to two games in 2010 due to an injury.

Last season, Fanene played in 16 games with two starts and finished with 24 total tackles and a career-high 6.5 sacks. During his NFL career, Fanene has played in 71 games with 17 starts and has accumulated 103 total tackles, 13 sacks, four passes defensed, one interception that was returned for a touchdown in 2009 and three fumble recoveries.

That really sucks. The fact that the Pats went after him first in free agency showed how high they were on him, and the early reports were stellar. Damn.

I was really hoping he'd be able to stay healthy this year. He's pretty hard to block when rushing up the A and B gaps. Oh well. Ron Brace, you're up buddy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back