PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DL Brandon Deaderick released

Status
Not open for further replies.
Uh no, Spires won a SB ring after leaving and started for years. Koppen is with a contending playoff team. Mincey is different in that he was never a 53 member of the Pats never mind a starter.

I do agree with your point that ex-Pats are correctly perceived as experienced products of an excellent pro system.

:confused:

I haven't had coffee yet, but this reads to me like you guys are in agreement...

Yes, I just had my needed coffee.

I don't get it isn't Brandon Deaderick a young Big Guy? It's not like he played like Ron 2nd Round Bust Brace.:mad: Best of luck Deaderick I think this is a mistake.

Around the league, players that come out of this system are viewed as if nothing else...

1) Well-coached
2) For the most part, professional and mature
3) Accustomed to winning

With that said, unless you are Greg Spires, Koppen or Jeremy Mincey, once you leave here after being cut, you won't really do much somewhere else.

Ted Larsen

There are a ton of players that have moved on in the last couple of years that are starting elsewhere. Merriweather. Chung will start this year. A handful of lineman. Brandon Tate is a kick returner (and a good one).

You have to rememeber that NFL careers are very short, an the majority of players drafted wash out in the first 3 years. Guys not doing much after moving on is the norm for the vast majority of NFL players.

"He's Deaderick, Jim."

The question for me now becomes: who, if anybody, will replace Love & Deaderick on the DT depth chart?

Here are some of the possible candidates:
WalterFootball.com: 2013 NFL Free Agents - Defensive Tackles
Best Available NFL Free Agents - Defense | The Sideline View
NFL Free-Agent Tracker - ESPN

The only under-30s worth a visit appear to be Sedrick Ellis, Amobi Okoye, Trevor Laws & Matt Toeaina.

Makes the drafting of Duron Harmon instead of Alabama's Jesse Williams look even stupider than it
already was, if that was possible.

Look, I didn't like the drafting of Harmon any more than you did. HOWEVER, we needed a defensive back much more than a DL at that point in the draft. We all question Belichick's evaluation. But he definitely should have drafted a db and wr where he did (or in reverse order).

The question for me now becomes: who, if anybody, will replace Love & Deaderick on the DT depth chart?

The only under-30s worth a visit appear to be Sedrick Ellis, Amobi Okoye, Trevor Laws & Matt Toeaina.

Makes the drafting of Duron Harmon instead of Alabama's Jesse Williams look even stupider than it

How can we be so certain that DT is a need if we made these cuts all on our own? We're likely to only carry 3-4 DT on the 53 man roster anyway.

Bill had just drafted Logan Ryan at 83. If he wanted 2 DBs in a row at 91, then the much better
Safety prospect would've been Fresno State's Philip Thomas.

Bill had his edge defender with Jamie Collins;
he had his WR with Aaron Dobson;
he had his CB with Ryan;
why not then cover another base by taking Jesse Williams, one of the best players available
regardless of position?

Better yet, why not just accept Miami's offer of 109, 146 & 224 for 91 and use 146 on Harmon
if he has to? He likely would've been available at 224, never mind at 146. And if he wasn't,
so what? No loss whatsoever.

How can we be so certain that DT is a need if we made these cuts all on our own? We're likely to only carry 3-4 DT on the 53 man roster anyway.

We can't ass-ume that Wilfork, Kelly, Armstead, Forston & Gus Grissom will all remain healthy
through TC. We can't even ass-ume that Kelly, Armstead, Forston & Grissom will all be worth
keeping through TC.

Wilfork and Kelly might be the two most durable starters at DT in the entire league. Even still, you don't make roster cuts to hope players won't get injured. Mike Reiss hinted in a recent blog post that Deaderick has shown a lack of commitment to off season training programs. Also, the same time Deaderick was suspended his rookie year we also cut his old teammate on the DL at Alabama that was on the practice squad. Deaderick just might be a goof off that doesn't put the work in.

Belichick judged that we needed help at safety, more than a 3rd addition at DT (Kelly and Armstead). Perhaps, he might have viewed this differently if he knew that both Love abnd Deaderick would be gone, maybe not.

Basically, you would have chosen Thomas instead of Harmon. Fine, you disagree with regard to which safety to draft. I applaud picking a safety.

With regard to Jesse Williams, apparently Belichick didn't rate him as high as you do for our system. And yes, it is possible that Belichick did use need instead of BPA for the his picks at 91 and 102.

Personally, I think that you underestimate the need for help in the secondary. Many would have preferred a safety much earlier. We had one of the worst secondaries in the NFL last year. Our stats with regard to third down efficiency and giving up 20+ yard plays was especially horrible. We expect better with basically the same players this year, plus the aged Wilson. We badly needed a couple of young prospects. Hopefully, one of Dowling, Ryan and Harmon will help the defense this year.

Bill had just drafted Logan Ryan at 83. If he wanted 2 DBs in a row at 91, then the much better

he had his CB with Ryan;
why not then cover another base by taking Jesse Williams, one of the best players available
regardless of position?

Better yet, why not just accept Miami's offer of 109, 146 & 224 for 91 and use 146 on Harmon
if he has to? He likely would've been available at 224, never mind at 146. And if he wasn't,

he had his CB with Ryan;
regardless of position?

1. How much All-22 film of Harmon/Thomas did you watch? How many of their coaches did you talk to? How many times did you talk to the players themselves?

2. If Jesse Williams was the right pick at 91, then how come he didn't go for over an entire round after that? Every NFL team had a doctor's report on his knee. You do not.

3. There's no indication that Miami offered the same deal to Belichick and one big reason why they wouldn't.

All posters on here have draft prospects that they like better than others. Nobody else here is as convinced as you that their opinion is perfectly correct.

he had his CB with Ryan;
regardless of position?

If he felt Harmon would have been available at 146 or 224 he would have made the trade. He clearly did not. I will go with his opinion over yours.
Feel how you want about the player, but don't be stupid and assume Bill Belichick believed he could be drafted much later, and just decided to screw up his team, or that your guess on who will be available when is better than his. You have 1/100 of the information he does, without even approaching the knowledge and experience areas.

We can't ass-ume that Wilfork, Kelly, Armstead, Forston & Gus Grissom will all remain healthy
through TC. We can't even ass-ume that Kelly, Armstead, Forston & Grissom will all be worth
keeping through TC.

But we can assume that Bill Belichick concluded neither Deaderick or Love could help his team this year despite any of those possibilities.

But we can assume that Bill Belichick concluded neither Deaderick or Love could help his team this year despite any of those possibilities.

The irony is, no matter what you thought of them before, no one can deny that they are both Jags now.

The irony is, no matter what you thought of them before, no one can deny that they are both Jags now.

oh_no_you_didnt.gif

Worst Post Ever!!

2958479-9910792052-4111d.gif

...I mean that as a Compliment, of course. ;)

Why were you enamoured with Jesse Williams? The guy does next to nothing in the passing game, doesn't get reliable back field penetration and doesn't possess the athleticism of a Wilfork or Ngata.

Going into the draft I thought DT was a need and would have been comfortable with the Patriots taking anyone of Williams, Hankins or Jenkins. People suggesting that Williams was a first or second round talent were clearly seduced by the feel good Australian story and media beat up. That's not to say he may or may not go on to be a fine NFL player, but it didn't bother me that he wasn't drafted by the Patriots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back