PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DL Brandon Deaderick released

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why release him now when we can carry him into camp, see if there are any injuries...you know hang onto him as insurance?

He has been solid for us.

Can't keep everyone.

I'm with you. Everyone applauds this because we have 4 DL's ahead of Deaderick. So what?!! Deaderick was competing with Forston for the mythical 5th DT spot, or not. But I would think that we needed depth in case of injury. I don't understand cutting Deaderick until the last cuts.

Why release him now when we can carry him into camp, see if there are any injuries...you know hang onto him as insurance?

A bit of a surprise to me....I liked the kid and one of the top 5 7th round picks in the Belichick era IMO

Someone has to go I guess...

Scout.com: Armond Armstead Profile

Armstead is a freak he was the #1 OL and #2 overall recruit coming out of HS.

He is taller, stronger, faster and more athletic than Suh. Him next to Wilfork should be fun to watch.

I believe you're talking about his younger brother Arik Armstead. Not that the elder Armstead wasn't highly recruited as well. But it was Arik who was the #1 OT in the country.

It's a player friendly gesture.

This gives him time to sign with another team and fully compete.

Never underestimate the security angle for them ore marginal players.

I believe you're talking about his younger brother Arik Armstead. Not that the elder Armstead wasn't highly recruited as well. But it was Arik who was the #1 OT in the country.
Correct even his link says "Pos: DT Pos Rank: #19"

My question is why was he cut now? There has to be more to this but we'll just have to wait and see...

Making room for Richard Seymour. :D

Perhaps it was a nice gesture to release him now so that he has time to search for a new team, but what if one of our top guys gets hurt? It's a long way until week one. Plenty of time for someone to wind up on IR or PUP.

Seems a little weird that he was flat out cut. I'm sure more will come out as to why this happened. We can keep speculating. The media will filter out information as to the cut. Perhaps the team is more pleased with both Armstead and Kelly than previously expected. Love may be further along too. And perhaps he didn't show up in great shape.

Deadrick's release is just symptomatic of how far the re-building of the Defense has come.

I know that not all good players were high draft picks, but Rick Gosslin once used the following type of analysis to reveal that everyones favorite breakout team from last season was a flash in the pan; and would not duplicate their previous record. He said you can't continue to make chicken salad from chicken feathers.

Defensive Line:
During Rebuild: 1 #1 and 1 Probowl defensive lineman Wilfork. 1 UDFA, Love; 1 #5, 1 #7 Deaderick
Now: 3 #1s Wilfork, Jones, Kelly and 3 #2, Collins, Cunningham, and #3 Bequette, and #5 Ninkovitch and 2 UDFA

LBs:
During Rebuild: 1 #1, Probowl,Mayo and 1 #2 Cunninham, and 1 #5 Ninkovitch and 2 UDFA
Now 2 #1 Mayo, Hightower and 2 #2, Spikes, Cunningham and 1 #5 Ninkovitch and 3+ UDFA ST LB

Secondary:
During Rebuild: 1 #1 Devin McCourty and 2#2 Dowling, Butler Chung and #4 Wilhite and 2+ UDFAs
Now: 3#1s Aquib, McCourty, Dowling, and 1 #2 Wilson and 3 #3 Ryan, Harmon, A Wilson and 2 #6 Ebner, Dennard and 1 UDFA Cole and 2+ ST UDFAs

The quality of the entire Defensive personnel roster has increased markedly. Results can be expected and should soon follow.

You can't compare the quality of a Defensive line with Wilfork, Love, Deadrick and Pryor (IR) to a defensive line of Wilfork, Kelly, Jones, Ninkovitch, and Armstead, with prospective reserves Francis, Cunningham, Bequette, Collins, Scott.

Even if Love, Armstead and Kelly look like all-pros, we still need depth in case of a camp injury.

Perhaps it was a nice gesture to release him now so that he has time to search for a new team, but what if one of our top guys gets hurt? It's a long way until week one. Plenty of time for someone to wind up on IR or PUP.

Seems a little weird that he was flat out cut. I'm sure more will come out as to why this happened. We can keep speculating. The media will filter out information as to the cut. Perhaps the team is more pleased with both Armstead and Kelly than previously expected. Love may be further along too. And perhaps he didn't show up in great shape.

The release of Deaderick is hopefully a good sign that Jermaine Cunningham is ready to be a part of this team as a DT/DE rotational depth guy who can provide an impact when he is on the field.

Very surprising to me. I agree that it must mean Armstead has shown quite a bit. Deaderick started 5 games last year so I thought for sure he would stick for depth purposes.

The release of Deaderick is hopefully a good sign that Jermaine Cunningham is ready to be a part of this team as a DT/DE rotational depth guy who can provide an impact when he is on the field.

Don't bet the house that Cunningham is on the roster come august,he has a lot to prove in TC in his 3rd year.

Don't bet the house that Cunningham is on the roster come august,he has a lot to prove in TC in his 3rd year.

Actually, he'll be in his fourth. And I'll bet the house that Cunningham will be released.

Cutting him now gives him a chance to latch on somewhere else ...... or he screwed up in mini-camp?/off-season workouts or we have another DT/DE coming in (Abraham).

OR

Now that BB has finally acted on my e-mails, my mission to get Seymour back is nearly complete. Nearly. Kelly will have to give **** (no not Theon) Seymour back his number.

I'm with you. Everyone applauds this because we have 4 DL's ahead of Deaderick. So what?!! Deaderick was competing with Forston for the mythical 5th DT spot, or not. But I would think that we needed depth in case of injury. I don't understand cutting Deaderick until the last cuts.

I agree.
Here's a young guy, played a bit for a developing late-round pick. They liked him enough to play him over the other options last year, and he had some flexibility to play big end if they wanted to line up in a 3-4.

I don't agree with the 'someone has to go.'
Because they have like 88 people on the roster - no one has to go.
They clearly haven't seen enough from Kelly yet to cede him the spot.
And hard to confirm that there is no way Armstead possibly gets injured.

Odd decision, given only what we know.
Obviously there is something that we don't.

you are right--many possibilities and nobody knows. To me timing suggests off season problem. Regardless, DLs who cannot sniff a QB are not hard to find.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes