PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Division Round: Jets at Pats, 1/16/2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any way to get pats game play commentary on internet radio. (i'm out of NE area). 98.5? WEEI? I can't listen to Nancy and Simms.....

If you have Verizon and a DVR you can listen to the radio broadcast of the game. The radio broadcast is a little behind, so just pause the TV until they sync up.

Our biggest weakness is the youth on defense. We'll see how they handle the playoffs. I'm fairly optimistic.

The more the Jets try to get amped for this, the better off we are. Adrenaline is a somewhat finite resource; the body can only produce a certain amount over a certain time period. Use it up in the pregame and the first quarter, guys. Go for it.

I expect the Jets to do a lot of three level disguising. They will do this in conjunction with a lot of press. They will apply pressure, but only in spots. When they are in long D&D, expect them to simplify their plays. The Patriots are too deep and diverse for this, though, and they will personnel the Jets to death. That offense is too deep for virtually anyone to matchup against.

The Jets will try to develop the run early and will try to spread the Pats into sub personnel. They won't be able to successfully run the ball against the defense because they don't have the depth at receiver to pull off the full sub run. They'll try to establish the body positioning routes and passes to the backs. If the Patriots can force intermediate and deep balls outside the hashes some balls will sail on the injured Sanchez. I would force zip throws and back shoulder stuff. If you're not healthy those will sail on you. He'll get picked off twice.

I've racked my brain a thousand ways trying to see what the Jets can do to win this game. They're just not deep nor agile enough to do it. 10 to 17 point NE victory. I would be amazed if it were any different.

Last edited:
Re: Predict the Score Contest, Divisional Playoffs NYJ @ NE

3 Keys to our game in my opinion:

* Offensively: Gronk + Hernandez
Why? They are mismatches for the Jets linebackers and safeties. Two of those ILB specialize in run stopping and the two outside backers specialize in pass rush. Hernandez is faster and quicker than their LBs and Gronkowski has the same and feel to him to get open. Their safeties are more of run stoppers, I don't think they can keep up with our TEs but if they do double our TE's, I think it'll leave an opportunity for us to go deep a few times with Tate, especially if we can run the ball

*Defensively: Chung
Why? Because the Jets want to run the ball and they want to take some shots deep. Chung is our best run support safety who also moves into the slot at times and is a good blitzer. I think if we send him on a blitz, we could get some success and a few nice hits on Sanchez. We also need Chung to punish the receivers. I think he'll be the most heavily involved safety in this game for our defense more so than Meriweather who can lay the wood but is an inconsistent open field tackler and Sanders/Page who are slower and unspectacular but can hold their own playing sound, smart, veteran football

The BIGGEST key I think will be special teams. They have explosive guys in Smith and Cromartie who can return kicks as well as Holmes on punt returns. We need to prevent good field position and maybe get a few big hits on some of these guys to show them that nothings going to come easy and make them think twice on not only the returns but also on the receiving end of some passes.

One last link and then I'll lock this thread up and head on over to the http://www.patsfans.com/new-england...patriots-vs-jets-official-pregame-thread.html. Hopefully folks found the football discussion here a welcome alternative to all the other talk this past week.

Defensive Lineman Eric Moore Could Be Difference-Maker for Patriots Against Jets - New England Patriots - NESN.com - Jeff Howe

Despite playing in just four games -- the majority of his snaps have come as a situational pass rusher as a defensive end and outside linebacker -- Moore has racked up 13 tackles, two sacks, two forced fumbles, one fumble recovery and one pass defense.

Those are some impressive numbers for a 2005 fifth-rounder who had just 18 tackles, no sacks, no forced fumbles, no fumble recoveries and one pass defense in his previous stops with the Giants, Saints, Rams and Panthers. The Florida State product also spent part of 2010 playing for the Florida Tuskers of the United Football League.

"I knew I was going to have an opportunity to play [in the NFL this season], but I didn’t know where," Moore said. "I have to give coach [Bill] Belichick and God the credit because they put me in different schemes and different situations to get better. I have to go out there and play, and I thank the guys in the secondary who are covering the guys to give me time [to get to the quarterback]."

There's no telling how Moore's late-season run will translate long term, but he said he definitely benefited from the added playing time he received in the UFL. And since he's signed through 2011, the Patriots will have the opportunity to bring him into training camp and get him fully acclimated into their defensive system, which is difficult to pick up on the fly.

And if Moore's four-game stint with the Patriots is any indication -- he's recorded at least one sack, forced fumble or fumble recovery in each contest -- he'll have some type of impact against the Jets.

"Eric is obviously a guy that has come in here and really worked extremely hard to understand what we’re trying to do on defense in multiple positions," Patriots linebackers coach Matt Patricia said. "And I think he’s a guy that just based off what he’s done here over the last couple of weeks, has shown that he is a productive guy on the field."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back