PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Division crown is at hand

Status
Not open for further replies.
We're in good shape.

EJ Manuel stinks - I've watched his last few games and he is not accurate and can't go through progressions. I hope they don't draft a QB and see what Manuel gives them.

Jets QBs - I think we know what they have. I hope they go 8-8 and miss out on the big QBs.

Dolphins QB - Tannenhil is solid, I don't think he's a great decision maker. He won't win them games, but with a great defense and an easy schedule he can get them 10 wins.

I can certainly understand people's wish for the extra bye week, no doubt about it. The only thing I'm afraid of with regards to having the first round bye, is coming out of it, asleep at the wheel in the divisional round. For some reason, teams coming out of a bye week, tend to play soft and out of the loop. Now, I'm not claiming by any means that a bye week for us, means an automatic loss in the divisional round, but if you look at past Superbowls, wild card teams did pretty well, going through the playoffs motions without rest.

Yeah, but that extra rest can be had by simply resting your fatigued players once the division is clinched. I am in the opposite camp, take the bye week as a bonus but don't go all out and get more guys banged up and tired to secure that one week of rest, particularly since so often we have seen them come out a little slow after a bye week.

Where is this reputation for coming out slow in the divisional round after a bye coming from? They lost to the Jets, that sucked. Outside of that:

2012: Beat Houston 41-28
2011: Beat Denver 45-10
2010: Lost to the Jets. Blech.
2009: No bye
2008: Cassel year
2007: Beat Jax 31-20
2006: No bye
2005: No bye
2004: Beat Indy 20-3
2003: Beat Tennessee 17-14
2002: No playoffs
2001: Beat Oakland 16-13 in the snow.

That's a record of 6-1 after the bye in the playoffs, 2-1 in the last 3 years with two 40+ point-scored beatdowns. I would argue their worst opening round playoff loss was Baltimore in 2009, and that was a non-bye year.

I can certainly understand people's wish for the extra bye week, no doubt about it. The only thing I'm afraid of with regards to having the first round bye, is coming out of it, asleep at the wheel in the divisional round. For some reason, teams coming out of a bye week, tend to play soft and out of the loop. Now, I'm not claiming by any means that a bye week for us, means an automatic loss in the divisional round, but if you look at past Superbowls, wild card teams did pretty well, going through the playoffs motions without rest.

The Patriots have gone to the SB 5 times in the BB era. All 5 times have been years where the Patriots had the bye week. They've never made the SB in a year where they had to play during wildcard week.

The only thing that makes sense to me is for the Patriots to keep the pedal to the metal and win out 13-3. That guarantees the division, a bye and is possibly enough to grab the #1 seed if the Broncos drop one down the stretch.

I hate the idea that we should root for the Steelers to beat the Dolphins. On several levels, I'd like to see the Dolphins sneak into the playoffs with a 9-7 record by going 3-1 with their lone loss coming to the Patriots to wrap up the Division. If the Dolphins get in, they are one-and-done. It also re-jiggers the AFC East and relegates the Jets to bottom feeders in the division.

If the Dolphins beat the Steelers, Bills and Jets, it diminishes the Dolphins draft choices in 2014 to middle-of-each-rounders and puts them on the road to Indianapolis or Cincinnati, while KC plays the other division winner. The big loser is the 4th seed who will get the Chiefs, unless they implode (which is possible with 3 out of their last 4 on the road.)

The only thing that makes sense to me is for the Patriots to keep the pedal to the metal and win out 13-3. That guarantees the division, a bye and is possibly enough to grab the #1 seed if the Broncos drop one down the stretch.

Agreed. We can't afford to relax no matter how early we clinch things...

Forecast calls for 22 degrees, 30% chance of snow, and 7 mph winds on Sunday when Denver hosts Tennessee. Can the Titans capitalize?
Depends if they get their ground game going with CJ?K. Inclement weather always enhances the importance of the rushing attacks. Their secondary is highly underrated and they might have the horses to contain the Broncos passing attack, especially if the weather allows it to be so. I doubt the Titans will even come within 10+ of winning though.

As for the topic at hand, winning the division has felt like a formality in prior years, but this year given everything this team has had to endure is still a testament to their mental toughness. I know winning the division is not the ultimate goal, but I still think is a great achievement nonetheless.

As for the remaining schedule, I can't see any way the Patriots don't go at least 12-4 at minimum. The Ravens might the tougher test left, but I still think the Patriots are the way better team of the two.

The Bills game at the EOS, should all but lock up a first round bye. As long as the Patriots make a concerted effort to contain their big play threats in Goodwin, Spiller, and Graham as they did in the first game, I can't see any possibility of them winning. Their secondary stinks, since Gilmore has regressed mightily this season, and they couldn't stop the Patriots way back then, how will they compete now?

Anything less than 12-4 would be borderline shocking.

I really want the bye. Playing/having to win one less game is key to us getting to, and hopefully winning the Superbowl. If you're not playing that weekend, then you can't lose. This whole resting your players thing at the end of the season is a double-edged sword too. How many times have Peyton Mannining-led teams rested, only to come out flat and be one and done in the playoffs? They even gave up a shot at a perfect regular season to "rest" and then they didn't win it. Everyone's blaming Manning for sub-par playoff performances, and maybe it's as simple as that, but maybe the rust factor has contributed too.

Even if we secure the bye early I don't think we should entirely rest people. Giving guys like Talib a week off? Okay, I can live with that. Giving Mallett the start and the whole game? No way. That would mean Brady would have three weeks off between games. Too much time for the lead to set in, IMO. The hapless Bills should be used to tune up for a successful playoff run. You use the bye to rest.

I disagree, Brady won't be in the least bit fazed by an extra week, one series where he throws 3 times will have him in sync, and I would rather see him rest than risk him getting an ankle injury etc.. If everything is set let key players sit and recover from a season long beating.

It doesn't matter if you're in the back of the bus for the front of the bus as long as you're on the bus
Well, history has shown the Patriots stay on the bus much longer when they get on in front than in back.

In the Brady/Belichick era they have had 7 first round byes and went to the Super Bowl 5 times in those 7 seasons.

They have never gone to the Super Bowl without the bye during that same timeframe.

EDIT: This post was made before I saw Deus Irae made the exact same point. I apologize for looking like I was stealing his stat.

I'm just glad the pats are 9-3

They have already proven that they can be unstoppable in miserable weather.

I think the defense will be better by playoff time.

The last 2 SB winners have been wildcard teams, which I believe is much more relevant than the pats success as a first round bye or a #1 seed.

I'm having fun watching Edelman look better than welker

SMH at people thinking BB aint playing everyone until the end of the last game regardless of what is locked up or not.

SMH at people thinking BB aint playing everyone until the end of the last game regardless of what is locked up or not.
Don't forget the 2006 Flutie drop-kick game vs. Miami in which Cassell started and BB all but tried to lose.

I would like to see the pats rest if they secure the #2 seed before buffalo, but we might beed to win out and we could get the #1 seed. But the fact is, they need all the reps to get ready for the playoffs. Don't want them coming out flat like some teams have.

Don't forget the 2006 Flutie drop-kick game vs. Miami in which Cassell started and BB all but tried to lose.

Cassel didn't start that game.

If the Pats beat Cleveland and Miami loses to Pittsburgh next Sunday, New England wins the division. If this comes to pass, BB might have some choices to make re. getting people healthy vs. keeping the pedal to the metal and pushing for a bye.

Gotta push for the bye IMO. HFA seems pretty important for the Pats. Our three losses all came away.

The jackasses will lose another game as Manning's arm shrivels up and falls off.

Pedal to the metal and go for the #1 seed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back