PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Dividing the masses

Status
Not open for further replies.

pats1

PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
This didn't come as a surprise, but those who were previously on the anti-Patriots, anti-Belichick, "cheaters" wagon have only put their foot on the gas and gone even more radical. It's now clear who (Jay Glazer, Don Banks) understand the reality of the situation and who (Arlen Specter, Mike Fish) continue to grasp at straws and further reveal their agendas.

Yet, it's happening on a common fan level, too. Check out these comments on the Fox Sports story, for example:

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8116074/Former-employee-Walsh-sends-Spygate-tapes-to-NFL

Cheating arseholes, Beli-cheat needs to go away. Send him to Iraq, let the BLEEP get butchered by the enemies. I'd say nullify all the SB wins or put asterisks on them. CHEATERS!!!!

I think its funny how Brady goes from being a sorry qb nobody wanted in the draft to a guy who can all of a sudden read a defence like a book. Its like he knows what the defence is going to call.

Hey Pats won 3- Change yer name to Pat stole 3. Goodell wouldn't have destroyed the previous tapes if there wasn't damaging evidence. Oh & I put the word greatest in italics not because I think they are (they're far down the list) but I was implying that's what all you sheep manipulated by the media were led to believe. And I'm out here in Cali baby. Nothin but hotties & people that aren't reject extras from the Sopranos. BLEEP the East Coast & every team that's out there! Ba da bing!!!!

the pats are a bunch of cheaters the only way they can win is by cheating and they should not be aloud any draft picks wha so ever next year they got off way too easy and their coach should be banned from football for ever

The Pats are cheating scum. What they've done does matter and does taint everything they've "accomplished." Don't let these myopic Boston morons try to say otherwise. If it didn't, they wouldn't be on all these sites for months and months now defending their cheating team.

As I said, there is now a distinct split in the opposing party:

Hey, I'm a patsie hater too, but I'd have to agree with the myopic fans from New England; leave it alone, get on with life. After all, what really is there to hate? They didn't win the Super Bowl in 2008, didn't win the Super Bowl in 2007, didn't win the Super Bowl in 2006...... Dynasty, perhaps with a little help from their video antics; now they'll turn in the Oakland Raiders with no defensive backs to speak of and only memories of the distant past to hold onto.

Does anyone think that if this was the Cardinals, any of these fans would even care? All these people focus on are the Super Bowl championships and Belichick and Brady. What would they do if it was the Cardinals? Put asterisks on 2-14 seasons? Call for the lifetime suspensions of a stable of mediocre-at-best coaches? That's just not any fun.

Last edited:
I live in Texas and for the most part down here, everyone I've talked to about seems to be pretty reasonable. The people that post rants about it on the net make it seem like everyone is against us but that's not what I've seen. I've even talked to a vender at work who's an admitted Patriot hater (for the same reason many hate the Yankees) and he even said the whole thing is ridiculous and he's tired of it. And pats1, like you said, he thinks it's just because it's the Patriots and not a lower level team.

Even the people that will rip the Pats just to pick on me admit that stealing signals is nothing new. My manager is to the point that he couldn't care less if Matt Walsh had anything to add or not, he's tired of seeing issues in sports get into congress, especially one as silly as this one.

IMO this whole situation is just a reason for people that already hate the Patriots to hate them more, whether it's merited or not. Again, from what I think I've learned by talking to people down here, the average fan for the most part doesn't see this as a big deal.

There is some sensiable journalism out there

Banks, Glazer, dont forget our boy Curran, Schefter

But then you have people that could care less

Lupica, Myers,

Scumbags like

Fish Easterbrook and anyone on Espn

And people who just like hearing themselves talk, and want to be still revelent..

Peter King...

Sean Salisberry is gone from espn, only maybee Chris Berman is the only nuetral patriot opinion left there. And sometimes his judgement gets clouded, between Bills , Niners, Jets, Bucs, and when the Chargers where the powder blues fan..

Last edited by a moderator:
You're always gonna have the ridiculous group of people screaming "OMGZ CHEATERZZZ BRADY SUCKSSSSSS"

And you're also gonna have the reasonable dissent of "every sb win was only 3 points, same with the loss... hmmMMMMMMMMmmmmmm... I wonder..."

And you're also gonna have the "WHATEVER WE BEAT YOU BY 52 MILLION POINTS PATRIOTS RULE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

And of course the "Well perhaps other teams do it, you also need to play the game on the field" etc.

It all depends on perspective. Some are mature, some immature, and that explains the amount of emotion in the response. Some are Pats fans, most are not... and honestly, if say the Cowboys were accused of the same thing we're accused of, what would your opinion be? How bout the Bills, a divisonal opponent that we have to play twice a year?

The media is of course going to be all over it, their job is to blow up. Talking heads on ESPN are supposed to be opinionated, and I'm guessing that most of them don't want to have to try and defend the Pats.. it's a much harder position to defend.

This melodrama is pretty instructive going into a political year. You can observe that power structures have the ability to whip up sheeple with misleading propaganda. Its right out of Leni Riefenstahl handbook.

If ABC/ESPN/Disney/Comcast/Specter can use this kind of power play on a football team, imagine what they can do to an individual, or a politician, or an issue of real social importance: framing the debate, releasing crafted imagery, and honing language (such as "cheating" and "spygate") to manipulate the masses.

Too much power in the hands of few individuals leads to major abuses like this one.

That is why I support the NFLNetwork vs the Cable Companies, to establish a bona fide widely distributed competitor to ESPN. IMO that is what LIEgate is really about.

I just heard on sports tonight that Spector already started yapping. He's accusing Goddell of dismissing this whole thing as more of the same without talking to Walsh, like Goodell's trying to make this go away without really doing any due diligence.
Spector's an ahole, hopefully someone will set this clown straight.

Last edited:
Just from reading the quotes you put up, most of those people didn't really seem to have a clue anyways. Anyone that can read beyond a third grade level and can separate fact from opinion knows by this time that this whole sh!t storm was blown way out of proportion and needs to just go away now because it is over. These blow-hards will keep whining 'cause their football team sux and Specter will keep yapping as long as Comcast donates to his campaign and he can grab some type of national headline.

There are some you can have a normal conversation with...the rest, well, never argue with an idiot. They drag down to their level and beat you with expericence.

This melodrama is pretty instructive going into a political year. You can observe that power structures have the ability to whip up sheeple with misleading propaganda. Its right out of Leni Riefenstahl handbook.

If ABC/ESPN/Disney/Comcast/Specter can use this kind of power play on a football team, imagine what they can do to an individual, or a politician, or an issue of real social importance: framing the debate, releasing crafted imagery, and honing language (such as "cheating" and "spygate") to manipulate the masses.

Too much power in the hands of few individuals leads to major abuses like this one.

That is why I support the NFLNetwork vs the Cable Companies, to establish a bona fide widely distributed competitor to ESPN. IMO that is what LIEgate is really about.

I think you might have something there as I do think there is a bigger picture to these events. The videotapes are equivalent to the pea in the story of the Princess and the Pea, small and insignificant but sufficiently shaped to cause discomfort many matress layers above. The only reason this continues to be a story is because somebody wants leverage over someone else. The fact that the Krafts are in the media/communications market and the allied forces you indicated are as well (dragging ther pet politician along), suggests that is where the conflict lies. Unfortunately the NFL and the Patriots are just pawns in that game.

Idle speculation, I know, but you cant help wondering........

Last edited:

I know ESPN doesn't care, but it makes me feel better. I'll never watch ESPN again. (OK, maybe if they paid me.:D I'll update everyone when that happens.) I mean all this was because of illegal placement of a camera-gate?

Yes, it does make you wonder about political stuff currently going on I'd get banned for mentioning.

The thing is ....none of this should have happened. if there was a memo about
this rule ... Belichick should have been smart enough to realize that his
taping days were over or at least have contacted the NFL for clarification
on the rule.

I do not know what went though his mind at that time but his failure to
abide by the guide lines seems to indicate that he considers himself the
correct interpreter of NFL rules. His ego got the best of the team, players
and fans.
He was wrong and brought disgrace to our team. He may be a football
genius but he is full of himself.
Although I find it hard to say ... he should have resigned. We would ask
nothing less of a president of the USA who was found guilty of deliberately
breaking the LAW. Why less for this man?

I have defended him to many JETs players and others but after the dust
has settled I find that what he has done to our team is just not right.
There is only one right thing to do Mr. Belichick ... resign. Of course he
wont and I will continue to enjoy our team and his game plans but
I will never admire this man the way I once did.

This STAIN on the PATs will NEVER go away. You can say all you want it
doesn't matter what non PATs fans think .... but it does.
Thanks Mr Belichick. :( ( aha ... vented at last :bricks:)

Last edited:
The thing is ....none of this should have happened. if there was a memo about
this rule ... Belichick should have been smart enough to realize that his
taping days were over or at least have contacted the NFL for clarification
on the rule.

I do not know what went though his mind at that time but his failure to
abide by the guide lines seems to indicate that he considers himself the
correct interpreter of NFL rules. His ego got the best of the team, players
and fans.
He was wrong and brought disgrace to our team. He may be a football
genius but he is full of himself.

PWP: OK I'm with you right up to here. Hubris overrode judgement and the consequences were draconian. BB underestimated the new sherrif in town eager to stamp HIS brand on the league, and I might add, too easily paniced by the NY centric media.

Although I find it hard to say ... he should have resigned. We would ask
nothing less of a president of the USA who was found guilty of deliberately
breaking the LAW. Why less for this man?

I have defended him to many JETs players and others but after the dust
has settled I find that what he has done to our team is just not right.
There is only one right thing to do Mr. Belichick ... resign. Of course he
wont and I will continue to enjoy our team and his game plans but
I will never admire this man the way I once did.

This STAIN on the PATs will NEVER go away. You can say all you want it
doesn't matter what non PATs fans think .... but it does.
Thanks Mr Belichick. :( ( aha ... vented at last :bricks:)

Sorry you feel that way. I absolutely feel he should not have resigned in any way. The punishment was earned, though severe.

I'm much more down on coaches and players for tawdry aspects of their personal lives, so I don't have them on the professional pedestal that others do. BB made a professional mistake. High profile, leadership types DO make big high profile mistakes. Even great ones. I've moved on. It's the body of professional work, not one mistake or one flukey success that characterizes a career.

Sorry you feel that way. I absolutely feel he should not have resigned in any way. The punishment was earned, though severe.

I'm much more down on coaches and players for tawdry aspects of their personal lives, so I don't have them on the professional pedestal that others do. BB made a professional mistake. High profile, leadership types DO make big high profile mistakes. Even great ones. I've moved on. It's the body of professional work, not one mistake or one flukey success that characterizes a career.

I understand that mistakes are made. But to me this was not just a mistake.
It was a blatant disregard for authority and rules. He was so as to speak
giving the middle finger to the NFL.

The penalty he got was trivial in comparison to the result ....
A huge STAIN on the Patriots reputation that will not go away.
He should not stay in a position where he could bring further shame.
He should do the honorable thing and resign. "high profile mistakes" need
lofty remedies.

Many think so what ... if he gets us two more superbowls.
But it does matter because even those superbowls will be equated to a man who cheats.
They will may say " well we didn't catch him this time but odds are he
cheated some way ..." see what I mean. The only remedy is his resignation. Then if PATs do win more superbowls they'll get the respect
they deserve.
I hate that this is what should be ... because he is a genius .....
... but I see no other solution for getting Patriots respect restored.

lofty remedies.

But it does matter because even those superbowls will be equated to a man who cheats.
cheated some way ..." see what I mean. The only remedy is his resignation. Then if PATs do win more superbowls they'll get the respect
they deserve.

Maybe you should find another team, I hear the Colts are squeaky clean! :rocker:

Maybe you should find another team, I hear the Colts are squeaky clean! :rocker:

Guys like you are a dime a dozen ...

Hey bud ... been around long time ... still will support my team ....
doesn't mean I won't take offense to anyone tarnishing the name of
my team .... even if he is the Head Coach.
If you are OK with such a thing then I suggest you find another team.:rocker:

lofty remedies.

they deserve.

they should take his hands and cut them off or maybe take a cane and beat him!!! please give me a break this was nothing more than pushing the envelope all coaches yes I said all coaches do something that pushes the boundries of the rules whether its this or the injury rule or salary cap issues all teams do something that isnt exactly kosher. get over you self richous self and start thinking of the ways you have broken the rules in your own life experiences. You always had a reason and so did he, does it make it right, no but you still think your not totally wrong for doing so

Last edited:
they should take his hands and cut them off or maybe take a cane and beat him!!! please give me a break this was nothing more than pushing the envelope all coaches yes I said all coaches do something that pushes the boundries of the rules whether its this or the injury rule or salary cap issues all teams do something that isnt exactly kosher. get over you self richous self and start thinking of the ways you have broken the rules in your own life experiences. You always had a reason and so did he, does it make it right, no but you still think your not totally wrong for doing so

This is different. Rules I broke have not left a Stain on a great organization.
Rules other coaches broke did not leave a stain on the organization.
Do you remember a guy by name of Mike Tice? Is he still the head coach of
the team he was associated with when he broke the rules?

This didn't come as a surprise, but those who were previously on the anti-Patriots, anti-Belichick, "cheaters" wagon have only put their foot on the gas and gone even more radical. It's now clear who (Jay Glazer, Don Banks) understand the reality of the situation and who (Arlen Specter, Mike Fish) continue to grasp at straws and further reveal their agendas.

There's nothing we can do about this division. I've learned over time - and this has nothing to do with football or the Patriots - that about 80-90% of all humans are stupid. For every Don Banks, there's going to be 9 Mike Fishes.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing