PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ditka "I'd devise a defense with 2 DL, 4 LB, 5 DB's"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah that '85 Bears team had a really poor defense. Obviously you know more than him.

Buddy Ryan, the DC and architect of the Bears 46 defense, famously hated Ditka and would never let him near "his" players and playbook. Ditka was a great TE, but is not considered a brilliant coaching mind by any stretch.

Yeah that '85 Bears team had a really poor defense. Obviously you know more than him.

You'd know, wouldn't you, that Mike Ditka ceded all control of that defense to Buddy Ryan? You'd recall, I'm assuming, how the Bears defense carried Buddy off the field, and didn't pay much mind to Mike - a first for any team of any era? You'd also know, I'm thinking, that he was an offensive player in the NFL? And, finally, I imagine you remember how Ditka's team, and it's amazing defense, suddenly became very ordinary when Buddy Ryan left after the 1986 season?

No, perhaps you don't. . .

You'd know, wouldn't you, that Mike Ditka ceded all control of that defense to Buddy Ryan? You'd recall, I'm assuming, how the Bears defense carried Buddy off the field, and didn't pay much mind to Mike - a first for any team of any era? You'd also know, I'm thinking, that he was an offensive player in the NFL? And, finally, I imagine you remember how Ditka's team, and it's amazing defense, suddenly became very ordinary when Buddy Ryan left after the 1986 season?

No, perhaps you don't. . .

You could say the same thing about Dungy and Monte Kiffin.

We have Shaun King as a commentator for crissake.

I'm sorry, if the nameplate on your desk says Superbowl winning coach,I'm willing to give you the benefit of the doubt that you might know something.

Buddy Ryan, the DC and architect of the Bears 46 defense, famously hated Ditka and would never let him near "his" players and playbook. Ditka was a great TE, but is not considered a brilliant coaching mind by any stretch.

I think Ditka was a pretty smart coach. He had over 100 wins, half of them after Ryan left. I remember an interview with Johnny Morris, a wide receiver Ditka played with on the Bears, who said how amazed he was when Ditka woud come off the field and tell everyone exactly what the other team's defense was doing, when and where.

Last edited:
Ditka is a meathead.

Why can't he just admit that we're the shiznit?

Smart comes in different areas. If Ditka was smart enough to give control of the D to Buddy Ryan (and he was), doesn't that make him smart? I mean, not smart in the X's and O's sense of the game, but smart enough to know when to delegate.

You could say the same thing about Dungy and Monte Kiffin.

We have Shaun King as a commentator for crissake.

I'm sorry, if the nameplate on your desk says Superbowl winning coach,I'm willing to give you the benefit of the doubt that you might know something.

Kiffin-Dungy??? Are you serious?? Not even a REMOTELY close comparison. The Tampa-2 defense was a product of Bud Carson, adopted by Dungy and
"perfected" (if you can say that) by Kiffin. Buddy Ryan OWNED (and still does) the 46 defense.

If you all want to give Ditka credit for being smart enough to know that he was stoopid, and hiring Buddy Ryan, well, I can't stop you. Kind of like giving someone credit for a beautiful job coloring within the lines, but I won't spend time arguing.

I think Ditka was a pretty smart coach. He had over 100 wins, half of them after Ryan left. I remember an interview with Johnny Morris, a wide receiver Ditka played with on the Bears, who said how amazed he was when Ditka woud come off the field and tell everyone exactly what the other team's defense was doing, when and where.

No, guys like Ditka and Parcells are just there for the press conference.

It's actually really easy to get a head coaching job, you just need to tell the owner you know a genius defensive coach that'll do all the work.

Kiffin-Dungy??? Are you serious?? Not even a REMOTELY close comparison. The Tampa-2 defense was a product of Bud Carson, adopted by Dungy and
"perfected" (if you can say that) by Kiffin. Buddy Ryan OWNED (and still does) the 46 defense.

If you all want to give Ditka credit for being smart enough to know that he was stoopid, and hiring Buddy Ryan, well, I can't stop you. Kind of like giving someone credit for a beautiful job coloring within the lines, but I won't spend time arguing.

Stoopid coach, career record 121 - 95 post season 6-6

Defensive Genius, career record 55-55-1 post season 0-3

Seems like they were under .500 the 4 years Ryan coached before Ditka too.

5 out of the 7 seasons after Ryan left the stoopid guy had between 11 and 14 wins!!:eek: Wow!! he must have had another genius, huh?

Last edited:
What does Ditka know about coaching defense? Its well documented that he didnt ever talk to his vaunted Bears defenses, and that they considered Buddy Ryan their "coach".

Stoopid coach, career record 121 - 95 post season 6-6

Defensive Genius, career record 55-55-1 post season 0-3

Seems like they were under .500 the 4 years Ryan coached before Ditka too.

5 out of the 7 seasons after Ryan left the stoopid guy had between 11 and 14 wins!!:eek: Wow!! he must have had another genius, huh?

You're serious with this? You're trying to argue that Mike Ditka was the defensive mind behind the Chicago Bears 1985-92? Really??

Even Ditka himself wouldn't be so bold, but I suppose if you must. People argue all sorts of strange things.

He took arguably the greatest assemblage of players in the history of the NFL and turned them into one-shot-wonders. Ditka the mad scientist.

How's the weather on that island?

Last edited:
You're serious with this? You're trying to argue that Mike Ditka was the defensive mind behind the Chicago Bears 1985-92? Really??

Even Ditka himself wouldn't be so bold, but I suppose if you must. People argue all sorts of strange things.

He took arguably the greatest assemblage of players in the history of the NFL and turned them into one-shot-wonders. Ditka the mad scientist.

How's the weather on that island?

All I'm saying is he might know a little about football, you're the one saying he's stupid. When did Buddy Ryan succeed without Ditka? He had plenty of opportunity as a head coach, and on the Bears before Ditka.

I guess I don't think it's as easy to be a head coach as you do.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots