PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Disgusted With Disparaging Vinatieri Remarks Today

Status
Not open for further replies.
I view the Adam situation the same as I do the Milloy, Johnson and Law situations. With disappointment that the two parties couldn't hammer out a contract that was suitable for all concerned but realizing that this is a business where such things don't usually happen.

In all cases, I am thankful that these guys were players on the team that I love to watch play football but, in the end, I wish that the new team that they play for never beats the team that I cheer for as long as they are part of it.

We all have the right to think and say what we want. If my wife left me for my rival I would tell her to f*ck off too. Regardless of any/all good memories.

What I can't figure out is just what being a fan means to some of you people. There is nothing rational about being a fan, let alone a rabid fan, of one team. So why do you people insist that everyone get in an orderly line and toss flowers to AV on his way out of town?

Hating the Colts is part of being an enthusiastic Patriots fan. It may be nuts, but the passionate distaste for all things Indy only stokes our fires as crazy Pats fans. Now AV is a Colt, so he automatically goes on the hated list. That makes perfect sense to me as devout Pats lover.

Now for this silliness about wishing AV luck and success. Well, that's plain dumb because good luck and success for AV would have to mean that he's helping the Colts win and that would only detract from the chances of OUR TEAM WINNING. I hold no ill will against Adam as person but in terms of his profession I hope he shanks every big kick unless the Dolts are 2-12 and playing the Cardinals in Tokyo.

How many of you that are saying thanks for memories are also complaining about the lack of action the Pats FO? Well, yesterday is gone folks and the next Pats SB victory is coming in the future and AV just made a decision which will not help the Pats get there. From the irrational standpoint of a fan how can you hold AV fond in your memory when he just made it harder for us to win? If you think this way then I don't believe you're real Patriots fans at all.

Fantastic post.

Adam owes us nothing.If anything the Patriots owed him the benefit of being signed.Adam served the team very well,and served the community better.Adam will always be a legend in New England,when he goes to the Hall of fame he will go in as a Patriot.This is a bussiness,and it required a bussiness descision.

Adam will be missed,but this is no reason to treat the guy like Johnny Damon!.

Good Luck Adam!

qmjhlpei said:
Adam owes us nothing.
And we owe him nothing. Screw him and the rest of his new teammates. He may be the best clutch kicker in the league but he's leaving the best clutch QB in the league for the Vanderjagt of QBs.

Thanks for some common sense F.B.N.

As I mentioned in another post, let's not demonize AV just because he, like others, followed the money.

Teams make business decisions - so do players.

As far as the Patriots personnel decisions, whether it was a mutual parting or only one party made the decision is almost irrelevant.

Among the decisions made by the Pats this offseason are the following:

1.) NOT to match an outrageously overpaid offer to David Givens
2.) NOT to match the Brown's overpayment to an aging Willie McGinest
3.) NOT to match, or make a similar offer to make Adam V., a kicker with previous injuries, and waning kickoff skills, the biggest salary for a kicker IN THE HISTORY OF THE NFL

Some of us might not have made all the above decisions, but when you look at each of them, they are reasonable - and there's no way we should demonize the players because of such moves

There is no silver lining

I loved the AV of 1996-2005. I will cherish the memories of all the Patriots from all the championships for ever. Nothing can take that away.

I will hate the AV of 2006 and beyond. He made his business decision to move on , he now is a kicker with the enemy and I wish him nothing but short kick offs, wide rights and blocked kicks. Nothing will make me happier to see him fail miserably in Indy and see Polian fall farther behind the Patriots ability to stay 90MPH ahead of him and his sorry ass franchise.

I do not understand how AV could possibly thumb his nose at a lifetime of personal appearances, endorsements and ability to earn a great living around here for years following his retirement. It just does not make sense to me at all.

As for the Patriots, I believe that BB & SP know what they are doing and this will end up being in the best interest of the club and their chances of winning more Superbowls. I do not drink their kool aid - I let the results speak for themselves.

This exemplifies all that is wrong with Pro sports in the 2000's and ultimately, if allowed to continue this way, could kill the golden goose.

Maybe it's time....

... to take a closer look at VanDerwhat'shisname. You know, the guy who *used* to kick for the Colts.

If BB & Co. could turn him into a winner, a la AV, wouldn't that be sweet revenge!

------------------------------------
"Sir, the Nazis have us surrounded. They say we better surrender now or we'll all be ghosts. What do you say?"

"Nuts."

F.B.N. said:
Anyone using derogatory language against Adam Vinatieri should be sentenced to 5-years as a Cardinals, Lions or Buccaneers fan. Sure, free speech is great and Dr.Phil says confronting the problem is great.
Problem is...IMO...YOU...you and your selfish desires to control the life of someone who wouldn't know you if he passed you on the street.

One of the premier players in New England history...in all 4 major sports...makes a personal decision and gets kicked in the butt for it.

A player who always worked hard, supported his teamates, supported the orginization and never acted in any way that brought shame to the team.

Of all the unknowns in the draft each year you are lucky to get a player like this...we didn't...he came in as a free agent and left with an impeccable resume.

Vinatieri...as I have been saying since Belichick did not resign him is "all about the money"..."JUST A KICKER WHO IS ALL ABOUT THE MONEY". So he happens to be one of the all time greats in the NFL>>>

Why is being great equated with loyalty? i'M SORRY...BUT I HAVE NEVER UNDERSTOOD WHY GREATNESS IS ASSOCIATED WITH LOYALTY...:confused:

Thanks Adam for helping us enjoy 3 SB championships.
Thanks Adam for sparing us the anguish of losing the Super Bowl.
Thanks Adam for 10 years of no journeymen kickers and hackers.
Thanks Adam for the celebrations...I don't recall you being hated then.
Thanks Adam for knowing you owe us nothing, it's your life...not ours.
Hope you enjoy kicking for the Colts...change makes the NFL better.
As a longtime Celtics fan I know that change is for the better.

To all you 2-faced Patriots fans cursing Adam today I have 1 question. Can Adam call you names when you leave your job for a better paying one with new adventures?:confused:

I've never been so disgusted seeing even "SENIOR MEMBERS" slamming Adam Vinatieri's reputation...kicking him like useless refuse. Sorry, it's not right and he doesn't deserve it at all.

But, it's your right to praise or slam as you please...If I was Adam I would be considering a field goal rebate right about now...maybe he can take back any 5 kicks he chooses...turnabout is fair play after all.

...that and the fact that Vinascumbag is a piece of garbage. May he miss every clutch FG attempt for the rest of his career and blow his shot at the HOF because of his greed. Screw him.

It's Yankees Syndrome. As much as I love the Sox, I hate the Yankees just the same. Same thing with the Patriots and Colts. The fact that he signed with the enemy changes everything. If he really wanted to stick it to the Pats as many have suggested, then he sure chose the perfect team with which to do it.

Man you guys didn't flame Willie Mac or Givens when they left like this.

JoeSixPat said:
Thanks for some common sense F.B.N.

As I mentioned in another post, let's not demonize AV just because he, like others, followed the money.

Teams make business decisions - so do players.

As far as the Patriots personnel decisions, whether it was a mutual parting or only one party made the decision is almost irrelevant.

Among the decisions made by the Pats this offseason are the following:

1.) NOT to match an outrageously overpaid offer to David Givens
2.) NOT to match the Brown's overpayment to an aging Willie McGinest
3.) NOT to match, or make a similar offer to make Adam V., a kicker with previous injuries, and waning kickoff skills, the biggest salary for a kicker IN THE HISTORY OF THE NFL

Some of us might not have made all the above decisions, but when you look at each of them, they are reasonable - and there's no way we should demonize the players because of such moves

The difference here in the reasonableness test is 1. and 2. both involved outrageously overpaying players by average contract value. By their estimation, McGinest is a $2M+ player for the next year or two. You don't overpay that player by $8M over 3 years. Givens is a $3M player for the forseeable future. You don't overpay your #2 WR by almost 40%, particularly when your #1 WR is next in line for a contact.

3. did not even appear to overpay by their estimation. The Patriots were by all reports prepared to pay Adam $2.5M per year for the forseeable future. They were being very disingenuous though in that they were apparently not willing to pay any kind of signing bonus or guaranteed money that would make that offer anything more than a one year deal at last years franchise tag price. Not taking that deal was a no brainer for the player, and on some level they have to known that. He took essentially the same deal from one of their chief rivals because the were willing to pay a signing bonus. It added nothing to the annual cost of the deal - it actually made it more cap friendly while providing the player some semblance of security for at least the next 3-4 years.

Believe me, if they offered Brady a contract that they claimed would keep him the highest paid QB in the league - averaging $14.5M per year - with no signing bonus or guaranteed money, even he walks. Because essentially he's being offered a series of one year deals with no guarantee he ever sees any of them. Why would he sign that deal if another team offered him 6/$60M with essentially $37.5M guaranteed to him in the first 3 years by virtue of the cap consequence of his not seeing it. Brady loves winning and is focused on legacy, but not at the price of assuming that kind of financial career risk.

It was not reasonable to expect Adam to do something even Brady wouldn't do.

Nobody is comfortable seeing Adam leave now that the Colts emerged as his destination. But that was always a very likely scenario given their need and our FO's approach. It's one thing to drink the koolaid, it's another to live in a koolaid aid induced stupor. And it's really pathetic to see the one sided vitriol spewed here by some of the more stupified members of this community. It takes two to result in a debaucle like this. That is why I feel perfectly justified in criticizing both player and management decisions, but I never stoop to ignorant name calling and bashing. That's the pervue of the immature and the uninformed.

Last edited:
Screw Vinatari - He's a Colt now. I don't like anyone that wears a Colt's uniform. Too bad.

workhorse said:
Man you guys didn't flame Willie Mac or Givens when they left like this.

If they'd have gone to the Colts, I'd be saying mean **** about them, too.

Today is just not the day for me to respect or like or thank Vinatieri. Ofcourse he is a New England icon, and he HELPED win us very big games. Key word...helped. Should I credit and praise AV for winning Superbowl 36, or 38. The rest of the team deserves nearly all the credit for those wins. He is a kicker, he has confidence in clutch situations to make the big field goal. He helped us to finish the game with a low 40 yard kick or a little less. Does he not know of his legacy in New England? The fans in New England who have loved him forever? Regardless him turning down the Patriots. I would have been upset but hes just starting elsewhere for a change. HOWEVER, he does the one thing that he knows will crush his fans in New England the most and sign with the Colts. He must have thought about it, but he didnt care. If he were to have an interview or press conference, I guarentee he'd go on about saying how happy he is to be a Colt and all of that crap. He wouldnt bring up the Patriots at all unless he was asked about it, and he'd problably try to dodge the question. The only way I can get an ounce of respect back for him is if he at least comments about his career in New England and the fans instead of just ignoring it.

Frankly, I see no problem with flaming Viniateri. He went to the Colts, a huge rival, and it didn't look like he wanted to come back to NE. Gimme a break about AV not making much money over his career. I'm sure he's been the best paid kicker in NFL history over his career. For those of you who say to appreciate AV's year's of service and help in winning SB's, how about Ty Law and Lawyer Milloy? All they wanted was more money also, just like AV. And both players made significant contributions to winning SB's. I'd even say that Ty's INT in the first SB was bigger than AV's game winning field goal. So, I'd say that the next time Adam comes to Foxboro, give him a loud cheer the first time he's introduced to show gratitude for all he's done in a Pat's uniform. But give him a huge boo and show off the signs with the $$$ every time he goes to kick a field goal.

Kdo5 said:
Does he not know of his legacy in New England? The fans in New England who have loved him forever?

:rofl:

I think all the players who play in NE know about our strange brand of loyalty. It is legend. :rolleyes:

Brady'sButtBoy said:
What I can't figure out is just what being a fan means to some of you people. There is nothing rational about being a fan, let alone a rabid fan, of one team. So why do you people insist that everyone get in an orderly line and toss flowers to AV on his way out of town?

Hating the Colts is part of being an enthusiastic Patriots fan. It may be nuts, but the passionate distaste for all things Indy only stokes our fires as crazy Pats fans. Now AV is a Colt, so he automatically goes on the hated list. That makes perfect sense to me as devout Pats lover.

Now for this silliness about wishing AV luck and success. Well, that's plain dumb because good luck and success for AV would have to mean that he's helping the Colts win and that would only detract from the chances of OUR TEAM WINNING. I hold no ill will against Adam as person but in terms of his profession I hope he shanks every big kick unless the Dolts are 2-12 and playing the Cardinals in Tokyo.

How many of you that are saying thanks for memories are also complaining about the lack of action the Pats FO? Well, yesterday is gone folks and the next Pats SB victory is coming in the future and AV just made a decision which will not help the Pats get there. From the irrational standpoint of a fan how can you hold AV fond in your memory when he just made it harder for us to win? If you think this way then I don't believe you're real Patriots fans at all.

This is the most sense I've heard spewed hear since I joined... er... yesterday. But anyway, I feel that explains it perfectly. Being a fan can be a competely irrational and nonsensical lifestyle. But so what. We need no more reason to hate him than the fact the he's a Colt. That's all that is required.

And why do I keep hearing this stuff about the Sox board bringing this down. A lot of the members making the types of posts refered to are "senior members". Perhaps this is referring to posters like me cause I was a bit of a jerk during my first night here. Well, I'm not from the Sox site. Just so everyone knows. So if you hate me, don't blame the Sox site. That is all.

Ah, thank you, someone finally recognizes my brilliance! :D

Last edited:
Adam Vinatieri, Thanks for all the clutch kicks and SB's and being a class act while a Patriot team member..... From the heart sincerely. Now that you're Colt I hope you shank every meaningful FG and set a record for short KO's......Nothing personal but I frikkin hate the Colts..... :rocker:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back