Disgusted With Disparaging Vinatieri Remarks Today

Status
Not open for further replies.

IcyPatriot

Wall of Fame
PatsFans.com Supporter
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Anyone using derogatory language against Adam Vinatieri should be sentenced to 5-years as a Cardinals, Lions or Buccaneers fan. Sure, free speech is great and Dr.Phil says confronting the problem is great.
Problem is...IMO...YOU...you and your selfish desires to control the life of someone who wouldn't know you if he passed you on the street.

One of the premier players in New England history...in all 4 major sports...makes a personal decision and gets kicked in the butt for it.

A player who always worked hard, supported his teamates, supported the orginization and never acted in any way that brought shame to the team.

Of all the unknowns in the draft each year you are lucky to get a player like this...we didn't...he came in as a free agent and left with an impeccable resume.

Vinatieri...as I have been saying since Belichick did not resign him is "all about the money"..."JUST A KICKER WHO IS ALL ABOUT THE MONEY". So he happens to be one of the all time greats in the NFL>>>

Why is being great equated with loyalty? i'M SORRY...BUT I HAVE NEVER UNDERSTOOD WHY GREATNESS IS ASSOCIATED WITH LOYALTY...:confused:

Thanks Adam for helping us enjoy 3 SB championships.
Thanks Adam for sparing us the anguish of losing the Super Bowl.
Thanks Adam for 10 years of no journeymen kickers and hackers.
Thanks Adam for the celebrations...I don't recall you being hated then.
Thanks Adam for knowing you owe us nothing, it's your life...not ours.
Hope you enjoy kicking for the Colts...change makes the NFL better.
As a longtime Celtics fan I know that change is for the better.

To all you 2-faced Patriots fans cursing Adam today I have 1 question. Can Adam call you names when you leave your job for a better paying one with new adventures?:confused:

I've never been so disgusted seeing even "SENIOR MEMBERS" slamming Adam Vinatieri's reputation...kicking him like useless refuse. Sorry, it's not right and he doesn't deserve it at all.

But, it's your right to praise or slam as you please...If I was Adam I would be considering a field goal rebate right about now...maybe he can take back any 5 kicks he chooses...turnabout is fair play after all.

Last edited:
Well said, FBN. How quickly some forget.

100% in agreement

AV has to do what he has to do. If the Colts deal is done, it's done - and nothing but good wishes to him, McGinnest, and Givens (unless they're playing the Pats, of course.)

These guys play for different reasons than we watch them. They're playing for money, but also glory and fun, with teammates - we watch them because we're from NE, or we just picked NE as "our" team. We'll never change teams, but then, the team doesn't pay us. We pay them.

What it comes down to in the era of free agency is, you're rooting for uniforms. The Pats are a perfect model, because Pats fans have actually bought into talk of their management, and business model, and coaching. What we've started doing is identifying with management and ownership, as much as the players. This is the only valid response to a constantly revolving player pool.

Either way, as someone once put it, we're now "rooting for laundry."

Well F it, our laundry is the best.

AV, David Givens, Willie Mac, we loved you, and thank you for the moments. That said, don't look forward too much to playing against your former teammates.

PFnV

F.B.N.:

Screw Adam Vinatieri.

I'll disparage any Indianapolis Colt I want to.

F.B.N -
Its all about perception. See, Adam comes across as two-faced when he says that he wants to stay with the Patriots right after the season, but then sits on his rear end for another two weeks before getting a new agent. Then he does an interview in Florida where he talks about the Pats in the past tense. THEN 4 weeks later, he fires that agent and supposedly, on the same day, signs with the Colts.

We don't know what the Patriots offered him. Its possible, but highly unlikely, that they offered him a contract with no guaranteed money. Its unlikely that we will ever know. What we do know is that Adam is all about the money. And his signing with our current arch-rivals leaves a bitter taste in people's mouths.

I don't hate Adam. I don't know if I lump him in with some of the greatest of all time. He's definitely a clutch field goal kicker, but kicking FGs is only part of the job. There were a lot of great kickers. Especially Morten Andersen.

I think that the Pats will survive and move on. Its not the end of the world. And I believe that we can get a kicker who hits 79-80% of his FG attempts as well as has a 64-68 YPK average on kick-offs.

I am not sure AV's decision was all about the money. There is something to be said for kicking in a dome. This decision may prolong his career.

AV is an icon in NE. It is unfortunate he will not retire a Patriot.

F.B.N. said:
Anyone using derogatory language against Adam Vinatieri should be sentenced to 5-years as a Cardinals, Lions or Buccaneers fan. Sure, free speech is great and Dr.Phil says confronting the problem is great.
Problem is...IMO...YOU...you and your selfish desires to control the life of someone who wouldn't know you if he passed you on the street.

One of the premier players in New England history...in all 4 major sports...makes a personal decision and gets kicked in the butt for it.

A player who always worked hard, supported his teamates, supported the orginization and never acted in any way that brought shame to the team.

Of all the unknowns in the draft each year you are lucky to get a player like this...we didn't...he came in as a free agent and left with an impeccable resume.

Vinatieri...as I have been saying since Belichick did not resign him is "all about the money"..."JUST A KICKER WHO IS ALL ABOUT THE MONEY". So he happens to be one of the all time greats in the NFL>>>

Why is being great equated with loyalty? i'M SORRY...BUT I HAVE NEVER UNDERSTOOD WHY GREATNESS IS ASSOCIATED WITH LOYALTY...:confused:

To all you 2-faced Patriots fans cursing Adam today I have 1 question. Can Adam call you names when you leave your job for a better paying one with new adventures?:confused:

I've never been so disgusted seeing even "SENIOR MEMBERS" slamming Adam Vinatieri's reputation...kicking him like useless refuse. Sorry, it's not right and he doesn't deserve it at all.

But, it's your right to praise or slam as you please...If I was Adam I would be considering a field goal rebate right about now...maybe he can take back any 5 kicks he chooses...turnabout is fair play after all.

I am ashamed to hear anyone trash this guy.

You are right on here.

Well I'm not disgusted so much as I'm a bit surprised at the level of vitriol I'm seeing for Adam here.

If he's getting this kind of treatment after all the years he played for us and all he did for us, I'll consider myself lucky this board wasn't around when Curtis cut out for the Jets. There would have been some serious scorched earth around here.

I'm sad to see him go but I'll be damned if I'm going to hold it against him that he left, or even who he signed with. Unfortunately this is part of the modern NFL landscape.

Yes! great post, and part of the minority here right now. Some people need to remember, Brady at this point makes in one year what Adam has made in his ENTIRE career practically. Also commercials and endorsement are in the low $100,000, not millions for him. He wanted to prolong his career and get as much $$$ now and last for as many years as he could. He has nothing more to prove to our team, and to his career. He does not want to kick out in the cold anymore, just leave him alone. Its not like he is the only kicker in the world who can kick FGs.

ghostPatsfan said:
Well I'm not disgusted so much as I'm a bit surprised at the level of vitriol I'm seeing for Adam here.

If he's getting this kind of treatment after all the years he played for us and all he did for us, I'll consider myself lucky this board wasn't around when Curtis cut out for the Jets. There would have been some serious scorched earth around here.

I'm sad to see him go but I'll be damned if I'm going to hold it against him that he left, or even who he signed with. Unfortunately this is part of the modern NFL landscape.

I'm upset too, but, rather than be p!ssed off at Vinatieri, I'd rather be more thankful for players like Bruschi. The way I see it, the jobs that Vinatieri might have had, had he stayed, are now Bruschi's (if he wants them).

Patti37 said:
AV is an icon in NE. It is unfortunate he will not retire a Patriot.

I think this will pretty much erase his icon status now. . . especially if, god forbid, the Colts should ever beat us by a field goal.

Markd

Anyone who trashes this guy is an idiot. He did everything the pats ever asked for on the field. He was the franchise player for 2 season. I'm sure he would have preferred a long-term deal. Now he has the chance to get one and the team didn't offer him as much money. Where's the problem?

This is a guy who probably made very little money in his first 3-5 years in the league with little or no signing bonus.

This is also probably his largest contract. The next one he'll sign he'll be in his mid-thirties.

He's one torn ACL on kickoff coverage away from being useless as a kicker. He played under that risk the last 2 years as the franchise player. He wants security and people are going to criticize him for that?

Like I said, anyone who criticizes this guy is an idiot.

F.B.N. said:

sign me up--love the guy, hate the results, no blame to lay, just a fact of life...

I hate the Colts, but as a football fan, I see the reasoning for his decision just based upon minimal speculation:

Veteran kicker with 3 career touchbacks on kickoffs (give or take) that played college ball in South Dakota and made his mark in New England wants to balance his personal life, earnings and future name (in the league) by moving to a eam that plays in a non-cold weather environment/dome, offered guaranteed money and has a Top 5 NFL QB at the helm. From an objective viewpoint, it is an excellent career move.

Now let's see how long it takes for Manning to blame him for something.

very well said F.B.N and PatsFanInVa.

i am 100% with you.

and...thks ADAM VINATIERI !

personally for me you will be always a Patriot !

I won't be calling him names like Benedict Adam. Woops, I just did.

If he had signed with any other team,like GB, I'd be OK with it. But, I can't say thanks and wish him luck knowing that the is going ot be a Colt.

Some day when he's gone from the Colts, I will wish him luck and say "Thanks Adam". But not now and not while he's wearing a Colts uniform.

Last edited:
Sorry,

If he had signed with any other team I would agree with you.

I'm sure he was fully aware of the reprucusions of what he was doing!

The irony of this is a bit much. I don't care if he would know me walking down the street. It's not like I would have anything to say to him anyway!

Benedict Adam. I love it!

I'm very pleased to see this thread and heartily agree with its prevailing spirit. AV gave me many thrills, but football is a game and a business and it does not require a pledge of allegiance--either from player or from team.

I'd like to say that I feel the same way about Willie and David as I do about Adam. Best of luck and I hope that you are all very successful, that we can feel a certain pride in your future accomplishments, and that you don't hurt us on the field.

Great thread F.B.N.! Well put. I think the vitriol on this board (and the ESPN.com board-type language and references) are coming mainly from the recent "new market" gained with the alliance with the Sox board.

I understand the depth of people's feelings as expressed out here. It's going to be painful for me to see Number Four kicking for Payme and crew. But, it's a business. It isn't personal. The Patriots and Vinatieri made business decisions. We all move on.

While I agree it was a smart business move for Adam for taking the money and for us for not offering him a huge contract, I admit, when I heard he signed with the Colts, I wanted to throw up in my mouth. As stated, if he signed with GB or some other team except for maybe Oakland, Indy or the Jests, I would be in the group with Givens and Willie, the "Thanks for your service, good luck when your not playing us" group. But, signing with them a-holes in a way makes him our bitter rival now, a team we face at least once, and sometimes twice a year now. Of course there is gonna be vitrol and anger, and of course we are gonna be tempted to put him down, just because he signed with our biggest non division rival. I admit, to me, Adam, despite his good service with his kicks for the last decade, is the enemy now, just because he has the horseshoe on his head. I will not discount what he has done for us, but, going ahead, I hope he misses every clutch kick on the carpet and Pay-me-a-ton calls him out like he did Vanderjerk and his offensive line, just because he is now the enemy, and in position to not even be cheered IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back