PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Discussing "The pick". What if..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who says we don't stop them on 3rd or 4th down? Gotta have faith man! ;)

Patriots stop Marshawn Lynch from punching it in from the 1 yard line the next two plays..where-as time expires (because there was not enough time left and time outs to run THREE running plays).

Media everywhere brings up Lynch's 1 yard stats and openly second guesses the play calling: Why with a quarterback like Wilson and knowing the time restraints dont you throw it at least once?!

Last edited:
I think he was carried into the EZ by an impetus from the opposing team simultaneous with the pick, THEREFORE.....

IMO IF he had taken a knee in the EZ, the correct call would have been touchback, out to the 20.

The rules are actually explicit about this.

If Butler had remained in the end zone, it would have been neither a touchback nor a safety. Brady & co. would have taken over at the spot of the interception.

Really funny coincidence just now played Madden online and stopped the Seahawks twice on goal line stands where he tried to run it in with Lynch. Next possession he drives to 3 yard line and threw a pick to Mayo in the end zone in almost the exact spot of Butler's int, the guy quit at that point. Ha

Ive seen "the pick" around 642 times and it still is hard to fathom how Butler explodes through the ball to make it.

I've wondered the same thing. How the hell did he catch that? He "exploded" towards the ball, knocked the receiver on his ass and caught the ball at the same time. Really one of the best picks I've seen.

Glad he ran it though.

Last edited:
I've wondered the same thing. How the hell did he catch that? He "exploded" towards the ball, knocked the receiver on his ass and caught the ball at the same time. Really one of the best picks I've seen.

Glad he ran it though.

Based on his experience practicing that play, Butler absolutely went 100% to where he knew the ball would go, right from the snap. Look how far back he was at the snap -- there is no way he gets to that ball without jumping the route the way he did from the get go. Scouting, practice, learning.

Based on his experience practicing that play, Butler absolutely went 100% to where he knew the ball would go, right from the snap. Look how far back he was at the snap -- there is no way he gets to that ball without jumping the route the way he did from the get go. Scouting, practice, learning.

Even though he only played 16% or so of the snaps last year, its his 4th quarter and that play on that stage under that kind of pressure which has me pretty confident in saying that not only will Butler be one of the starting CB's next year, he will also have a solid season.

I'm sure as a 2nd year player in 2015 he'll have some down moments but he'll be fine.

Last edited:
Even though he only played 16% or so of the snaps last year, its his 4th quarter and that play on that stage under that kind of pressure which has me pretty confident in saying that not only will Butler is the one of the starting CB's next year, he will also have a solid season.

I'm sure as a 2nd year player in 2015 he'll have some down moments but he'll be fine.

Agreed. A lot of people underestimate how good he was before the pick.

Heck, he made TWO great plays on the Kearse catch.

One other point: it could not be a safety because the impetus required for a safety would have remained with Seattle. It didn't switch to NE until Butler took it out of the end zone.

i believe what we decided when we answered this question a couple of months ago was that it would have been possibly a safety. Butlers foot leaves the endzone mid interception, thus him taking a knee IN the endzone is a safety.

I agree but slamming into the receiver and catching the ball with the super bowl on the line cannot be easy even if you know what play is coming.

I think Butler didn't think about any of that and just played with instincts, anyway, THANK GOD he jumped to the 2 yard line.

He said he thought about it, that he didn't want a safety so made sure he was out of the end zone.

i believe what we decided when we answered this question a couple of months ago was that it would have been possibly a safety. Butlers foot leaves the endzone mid interception, thus him taking a knee IN the endzone is a safety.

But he needs to have possession, so if you step outsize the endzone while in the process of catching the ball, it shouldn't be spotted there. Maybe. Even if I'm right (not sure) the refs would have screwed this up.

Absolutely. God knows it's been covered a million times but a 28-26 game makes things a little more interesting.

Sure. Because then the Patriots have to kick off. Seattle would have had about 15 seconds to advance the ball and try for a long field goal. Not easy, but not impossible either.

I love the outcome and the rehashing it over and over while watching the video. It takes my mind off of deflategate, Kraft and the commissioner.

But he needs to have possession, so if you step outsize the endzone while in the process of catching the ball, it shouldn't be spotted there. Maybe. Even if I'm right (not sure) the refs would have screwed this up.

regardless, its better to be safe then sorry which is why other patriot defenders pushed him from behind to make sure he went all the way out of the endzone. At that point, you get a brady sneak, and the game ends. or the seahawks go offsides and start a brawl. either way winnners are us.

This is incorrect for the reasons outlined on page one.

I love the outcome and the rehashing it over and over while watching the video. It takes my mind off of deflategate, Kraft and the commissioner.
It never gets old. All these years later I still jump out my seat and yell it's good for Adam's kicks. This will be no different.

This is incorrect for the reasons outlined on page one.
Your opinion is that it is wrong, I believe that It is correct.

This is an easy one. It's known as " commissioners prerogative," Touchdown and Safety for the Seahawks.9 points and they get the ball at the Patriots twenty.

As Goodell always says the NFL is about giving the fans what they want, and that's what they want.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes