PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Discrepency in penalties from last year's Super Bowl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schmo

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
I'm sure this became apparent to many Pats fans - how many flags were thrown in last night's game compared to last year's.

Super Bowl 43 - 18 for 162 yards.
Super Bowl 42 - 9 for 72 yards.

I found myself saying during the game that the strict officiating would inevitably benifit the Steelers and allow the better team to win. Yes, I'm a sore loser, but with the discipline the Patriots exhibit, does anyone think SB 42 would have turned out much differently? I've seen the breakdowns of the Tyree play etc., and the reluctancy of the officials to throw flags throughout allowed for a MUCH different game than this year. If the Cards only had 4 penalties for 36 yards instead of 11 for 106, this game would have been much different in my eyes. Of course for the sake of conversation I'm ignoring the possibility that the Giants actually played a clean game.

Re: Discrepency in penalties from last years Super Bowl

The flags on holding during the Tyree catch would have been a difference.

I agree that the strict officiating from yesterday would have definitely benefited us... but I think that in most games how the calls will go can be determined by end of 1st quarter (if not sooner) and it is the responsibility of the teams to adapt to the officiating.

I hate when anyone blames a loss on officiating, because strong teams and superbowl champions should be good enough to overcome bad/no calls.

I agree that the strict officiating from yesterday would have definitely benefited us... but I think that in most games how the calls will go can be determined by end of 1st quarter (if not sooner) and it is the responsibility of the teams to adapt to the officiating.

I hate when anyone blames a loss on officiating, because strong teams and superbowl champions should be good enough to overcome bad/no calls.

Interesting response.

I completely agree with your first point. It's sort of like how in baseball both the pitchers and hitters need to figure out what the strike zone will be for that given day. After that, make the appropriate adjustment.

However, I stronly disagree with your second point.

Sure, good teams should be able to overcome a bad call, but with the parity in the NFL many games can come down to five plays. If there is a poor call on one of those five plays, then that will be the deciding factor. With the parity in the NFL, there is not much that separates each team, having the refs make calls in your favor cna be all the advantage that a team needs.

Example:
Let's imagine the ref DOES NOT throw the flag that resulted in the safety in favor of the Cardinals. It was clearly the correct call, but if the flag is not thrown then the Steelers get a huge first down and can pretty much ice the game. The flag was thrown, and the game was INCREDIBLY different from there on out.

Interesting response.

I completely agree with your first point. It's sort of like how in baseball both the pitchers and hitters need to figure out what the strike zone will be for that given day. After that, make the appropriate adjustment.

Sure, good teams should be able to overcome a bad call, but with the parity in the NFL many games can come down to five plays. If there is a poor call on one of those five plays, then that will be the deciding factor. With the parity in the NFL, there is not much that separates each team, having the refs make calls in your favor cna be all the advantage that a team needs.

Example:
Let's imagine the ref DOES NOT throw the flag that resulted in the safety in favor of the Cardinals. It was clearly the correct call, but if the flag is not thrown then the Steelers get a huge first down and can pretty much ice the game. The flag was thrown, and the game was INCREDIBLY different from there on out.

On the last Steelers Touchdown, The guy used the ball as a prop in his celebration - Never called.

This, in my opinion, is one of the worst "non" calls in Super Bowl history.

On the last Steelers Touchdown, The guy used the ball as a prop in his celebration - Never called.

...might be but at the very least it is stunning.

OK, so what adjustments would the Patriots have made? Commit more penalties, after being coached to minimize this all season? And have them conscientiouslty thinking about when and where they might commit borderline fouls during the heat of the action?

Well, just remember, that *was* the Super Bowl, and the other team might be pretty damn good themselves.

How does a defensive line adapt to an increased tolerance of holding by the officials?

I agree with the other posters, the safety holding cal is a good example. But one that is just as good is the non-call on the block in the back on Harrison's return, that call is made, the half is over and not TD, Totally different game and some could argue that Cards win that game. . .

What did Pitt do in the 2nd half - other than that late drive to get 7, they only score 3 points!! and that was on a drive in which their drive was extended, on 3rd down no less - 3&1, for a roughing the passer call! and not to mention the fact that they got a second shot inside the 10 on the roughing the holder call . . .

That one REALLY got me,too:mad: especially considering a few recent calls that come to mind:rolleyes:

Woulda. Coulda. Shoulda. You know I really don't care to go back in the past anymore and play this game of "if this didn't happen, then...". We used to criticize fans of the Colts, Steelers, Raiders, etc. for doing the same thing.

Remember how we all laughed at Colts fans for crying about the physical play of the Pats' defense in the AFC Championship game of January of 2004 where they cried the Pats should have been holding? Or the Raiders crying about the tuck rule?

Let's move on. I didn't particularly like the way the refs called the game this past Sunday, but what can you do. I bet the Pats would have gotten called with more holding penalties themselves if they called the game last year like this.

Interesting response.

I was going to post the same thought :) With parity being such a priority in this league,the best and strongest team (s) don't necessarily make it to the SB. Even when they do, they've probably had some breaks along the way. And if the two absolute BEST in the league play in the SB it's probably safe to assume the score is close and when it's a close game, calls can be the deciding factor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back