PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Disappointed but not devastated: lots more growing to do

Status
Not open for further replies.
The window is closing and we threw away another chance at a ring. #1 seed, home field advantage at that! I don't care what expectations were, it was right there and we pissed it away, again.

this was a therapeutic email I just sent off to a friend and thought I would share my thoughts with all of you here even though I don't post often....

In addition to the mid-dynasty hiccups by the 40s Bears (beaten by
WWII and the Skins of Sammy Baugh that they once owned, as well as the
Packers, Rams, Cards and Eagles), the 50s Browns (stymied by Detroit)
and 80s 49ers (neutralized by the smash-mouth front sevens of the NFC
East)....and we also have the 1960s Packers.

Lombardi's bunch won two titles in 61 and 62, and the 62 team may be
the best ever (just about ten more hall of famers than the one-hit wonder 85 bears). But to everyone's surprise (even their own), they didn't make it back in 63 and they had a bunch of injuries in 64 and went 8-5 (despite Bart Starr not throwing an interception in his last 11 games -- sound familiar?)....then they came back and won THREE more titles (including the first two super bowls) to close out arguably the most dominant stretch in pro football history.

But in 1964 it looked to be over. History can be a fan's best friend
when perspective is needed....but most football fans knowledge of the
game goes as far back as the inception of their first fantasy league.

Of course the Steelers had a 6 year stretch where they won 4 titles
cementing themselves as the team of the 1970s....but nobody thought
they'd make it back after 76 and 77...it was time for a raiders
dynasty or cowboys or dolphins or someone else, but pittsburgh's time
was up. Still having a lot of talent on their roster, they didn't
rest on their laurels but totally reinvented themselves into a more
balanced offensive team and actually came back and were more dominant
in 78 and 79 (rampant steroid use also helped even the playing field
in the 70s).

But this is the parity-era. The league actively helps bad teams
become better and tries to shake up the top each year. They do it
through the draft and scheduling but above all through free agency and
salary caps. The era of teams competing for championships year in and
year out is supposed to be OVER.

This was a REBUILDING YEAR.

Yes the season ended prematurely but we have to retool and refocus, there is cause for optimism. The Jets went from preseason favorites to trying to psyche themselves up to play us and explain to Rachel Nichols that they weren't afraid of us. This loss, as much as it hurts, doesn't change the fact that the Pats have flipped everything around and now have the upper hand -- it will just feel that way for the entire offseason;) The Pats were coached
to play for 60 minutes every week but for young players, experience is
the best teacher.

I'm sad that the Welker benching is being blamed for the "lack of
focus" and such at start of the game. There's even a poll blaming
Bill for 0-3 in last three playoff games and asking Kraft to 'step in"
WTF???

I'm sure Welker's benching was not a surprise to the team. I'm sure it
was addressed in the locker room from a discipline perspective as the
punishment for breaking Bill's rule about not talking during the week,
no matter who the player is -- and I'm sure Wes, who IS a veteran, understood it was for the benefit of the team. As I said, I don't have a problem with it...in the past we've had veterans like Rodney or Willie who did speak out and respond to trash talk during the week. But Rex Ryan has taken this to a new level and with the young team I think Bill is treating the
players differently and I'm ok with that.

Did the Welker mini-drama help us win the game? No. But neither did
it PREVENT us from winning and it was the right thing to do in the grand scheme of things given the development and maturation of the team. I realize we need to harp on something because this is hard to
comprehend/swallow.

This is the parity era....with 32 teams and 16 games and it's just f'ing hard to go all the way. I'm proud of them this year -- after the Cleveland loss I wasn't sure if we would end up above .500. Honest.

Now we have to find a way to move on, but we would be wise to not
forget this and learn from it. We are lucky to count on a fired up HoF
QB next season -- don't take it for granted, it's really REALLY special. So bash away all you want for the next 24 hours but then its time for a reality check. You can have Rogers or Sanchez or Vick or Manning or Clay Matthews or whoever you want, I'm still starting my team with #12.

We're on the cusp of having the right balance of talent and depth.
Now the young players have some experience under their belts. Rookies
can sometimes have a great first year and then take a step back in
year two as teams focus more on them....clearly our rookies were taken
seriously this year and are very talented so expect them to be even
better next year....especially the defense.

Think about all the unknowns we addressed this season after the humiliation of the Ravens. After the Ravens loss, it was clear we were not a tough team. This team now is capable of playing tough if they just don't think of themselves as invincible (easier said than done after a 40 point blowout over the same team).

Psychology was a huge factor in this game. In the past with all our veterans we weren't used to needing fire to go out and perform...most Pats fans have been conditioned to think that emotion = hype or lack of focus.

With all our youth it was clear we fed off intensity and we just didn't have it tonight. Part of that is probably blowing the same team out. Part of it was the refs allowing really tight coverage (not one PI flag in the entire game???). The Jets accused the Pats of being finesse and we played like it today. We needed smashmouth football tonight -- we can play either way now...we have the personnel. Finesse is good some weeks (i.e. against steelers) but when Sean Ellis decided to become a monster and was tossing Dan Connolly like a rag doll and guys were flopping on the ground and the backs were missing blitzes and inside stunts....that's not a good formula when 7-8 guys are in tight coverage on each play. Not only were they getting home on defense but their O-line was ripping our defensive front to shreds running it straight up the gut which then opened up the sideline passing game for Sanchez (who really is not good and doen't even deserve the game manager title). For whatever reason on offense we kept using the scalpel when we needed the sledgehammer -- the second quarter and first half of the third quarter were inept -- I can't remember a first down in that 20-25 minute span...perhaps coming from behind we were worried about burning too much clock with more of a direct attack?

I'm not an offensive coordinator and I didn't sleep at a Holiday Inn...I'm sure, like most fans and pundits, I'm oversimplifying things, even with hindsight.

Who knows.

All I know is that Randy Moss was suddenly gone after about 4 games and I thought we were done (not that we would give up on the season but I guess it was just at an impasse).

The trade of a hall of fame receiver was not because of some grand master plan but because it just stopped working and we desperately had to do something or would end up doggy paddling to a 2nd or 3rd place finish in the division.

After that desperation move, I predicted a sub-.500 season....but
necessity is the mother of invention and we went back to the drawing
board and almost hit the jackpot.

This s**t is hard. It's the most competitive league in sports. The team can expect success because they have to do it but I'm a little tired of some of the fair-weather newbies who feel it's their birthright to win super bowls and dominate.

It was a remarkable season in every sense.

Now I gotta shower and take a long walk. Selfishly as a Jets hater, the worst thing about the outcome this is it unfortunately validates all their smack. I can actually deal with not winning the Super Bowl, that's all about long-term historical perspective which our 24-7-365 news cycle has none of....but the Jets validation is by far the hardest thing to deal with.

Go Packers!

I'd rather see Pit win another 5 SB's before the Jests even get to one.

That being said, GO PACKERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tough loss but we are set up to contend for the title for the next 5 years. I can't say that about the Jets and most other teams. We'll see how the Jets manage their roster and develop their team going forward, but I'm not convinced they can put together a solid plan for the future to continue their success. The Pats, on the other hand, have the formula and aren't going away.

I see this defense continuing to get better with all their youth. Offense needs a big play home run hitter to give them yet one more dimension.

Tom Brady is only getting (even) older.

The Patriots will not win another Super Bowl as long as Tom Brady is the starter. Tom Brady is the next Brett Favre.
The jig is up troll. gtfo

This team reminded of the 2008 Texas Longhorns. I remember looking at that roster before that season thinking they might be pretty good but 2009 looked like it would be great for them.

The Longhorns that season were a Big 12 tie-breaking rule away from most likely playing for the national championship.

Before this season started, I looked at this Pats roster and it reminded me of that 2008 Longhorn team. It just looked like a team with a bunch of good "underclassmen" that would be coming back and coming back stronger. I was hoping for a solid season but really looking forward to the future.

I'm like most. Expectations certainly were elevated once this team got on a roll and it's tough for the season to be over so soon. It's just like that 08 Texas season. But knowing that this team has a bright future ahead makes it sting a lot less.

I'm not joking when I say this: if you could bring this team back, plus the players on IR, I think they would immediately be contenders for the Super Bowl—without free agency, without the draft.

I'm not sure Warren will ever return to form. He's over 30 and he just missed an entire season.

Bodden needs to show he can return to form too. No sure thing.

Losing Wright was a big blow. Lets hope the guy's career is not at risk.

This team ABSOLUTELY needs the draft to take the next step. They probably also need to be active on some level in FA, assuming there is FA.

You don't get better by maintaining the status quo. The Pats need to get better.

Last edited:
The window is closing and we threw away another chance at a ring. #1 seed, home field advantage at that! I don't care what expectations were, it was right there and we pissed it away, again.

Nah, disagree. Besides Brady and BB, this team is crazy young.

The Pats losing isn't bothering me as much as the Jets winning. But I can hold my nose and cheer for the Steelers next week.

My only problem with the young players talk is I hope they are not just that, young players. We once had randall gay, eugene wilson, maroney etc. They never developed. we need our young players to become long term good players, not just serviceable jags

My only problem with the young players talk is I hope they are not just that, young players. We once had randall gay, eugene wilson, maroney etc. They never developed. we need our young players to become long term good players, not just serviceable jags

None of the aforementioned players were Pro Bowlers as rookies (or ever), while the Pats already have one rookie Pro Bowler in McCourty, and have gotten more from GRONK and Hernandez than any team has ever gotten out of rookie TEs, ever.

I'm not sure Warren will ever return to form. He's over 30 and he just missed an entire season.

This team ABSOLUTELY needs the draft to take the next step. They probably also need to be active on some level in FA, assuming there is FA.

You don't get better by maintaining the status quo. The Pats need to get better.

Hence "if you could"—I'm assuming all the players on IR come back 100% healthy. Clearly not a given.

The Patriots have a very young team. They just got a lot of experience they needed (tough experience at that). It would be foolish to think their will not be improvement next year with some of the young guys. Beyond that we absolutely should self scout and see what can be improved. BUT we are not bad or anywhere near it. This one painful loss may seem to some to show we are not very good. But if that's the case then the 8 straight wins after the Cleveland loss must have been pure luck.

This is a good team. Another preseason of coaching/training along with adding a guy here or there should have the Patriots winning at a high level and in that exclusive group of teams who have a real shot at the SB. I'm just not sure you can realistically expect any more of any team.

I guess this should be looked at as a rebuilding year. But the key to rebuilding is, the rookies have to progress, and we have to hope all the picks we have succeed like this years rookie class has. There is no guarantee of that. ALSO, depending where we are cap wise, we can't be cheapskates. We need to go after some good defensive FA's. Imagine how different our defense couldve been if we had landed Julius Peppers. Look at what it has done for Chicago. The difference between the Jets and us, we may have won the regular season battle because of our offense, but we lost the playoff war because of defense. They have a good defense that sacked Brady 5 times, and we sacked Sanchez 0 times. Even the int was caused by the pass rush. The defense has to get better, period ! It's been our Achilles heel since 2006.

of course everyone who is optimistic here is assuming that there will be an NFL season next year - i think there will be one also. however, if there is not, brady will be 35 beginning in 2012 season.

I'm not joking when I say this: if you could bring this team back, plus the players on IR, I think they would immediately be contenders for the Super Bowl—without free agency, without the draft.

Perhaps, but other teams could say the same thing. Another year of our youngsters maturing plus a good draft will help quite a bit.

What was that hooking call on Sanders on the slant???? The Jests were holding and getting early hits on our rec all night.

They beat us fair and square though (with excessive defensive breaks)

FAKE INJURY TO's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

go Steelers...I hope LT's career ends in that game as well as Crotchery, Snachez and Edwards.....NO MORE BACKFLIPS.

I'm offering 10k to the Steelers D for each and any Jets injuries that are incurred!!!!

NYJOKES

Can it get anymore frustrating than this loss?

Can it get anymore frustrating than this loss?

2007 was 10 times worse, dude.

We have 30+ guys who have never been there before. Winning is a process and some guys have to grow up. Also, holes that were patched over need to be filled for real with FA and draft acquisitions.

Well, people said the same thing after 2009 and look at how much the team improved in one year without any major FA additions. 10-6 to 14-2 (facing a MUCH tougher schedule and losing Bodden,Warren, and Mankins for half a season just to put in perspective how much we did improve).

Give this young team another offseason to grow, hopefully get Bodden/Warren/Wright back, and another solid draft, and we could be a very good team next year. I think we're in pretty good shape, there is work to do yes but we can fix alot with 8 picks in the first 4 rounds, even if a couple picks are traded into next year.

Last edited:
of course everyone who is optimistic here is assuming that there will be an NFL season next year - i think there will be one also. however, if there is not, brady will be 35 beginning in 2012 season.

We can get into this in another thread, but I would hope that both sides are smart enough to understand that a year without NFL football would be akin to killing the goose that lays the golden eggs.

Watching the game yesterday, you can clearly see that the immaturities of these young players was so obvious. They're not ready for the playoffs and sadly only experiences can help them be prepared mentally and physically..A few veterans aren't enough to help them win....Everything could went wrong for a game, went wrong yesterday. Reminded you of the Browns game.

Brady really need a deep threat WR that is quick. Branch aren't enough. Welker, Herdandez, and Gronk was kinda like none existing yesterday. Brady just stood there and waited for a sack.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back