Welcome to PatsFans.com

Direct TV, cable & HDTV's

Discussion in 'The PatsFans.com Pub' started by Real World, Dec 26, 2007.

1. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +316 / 4 / -2

Hi everyone. I need some opinions & advice on HDTV's, cable, & Direct TV. I've pretty much decided to buy an HDTV, and thus will need either an HD box, or HD service. I basically have 2 questions. One about the TV's themselves, another about service providers. So here goes....

HDTV's
    From all that I've read (mostly on CNET.com) about the different options, LCD, Projection, and Plasma, the information & cost has lead me to a 50" Plasma. LCD's (higher quality one's) are more expensive & I'd like to keep the costs under $2000 for a TV. If possible, I'd like to squeeze in a PS3 & TV for that price. :D The two TV's that come to mind are a Samsung & the Panasonic (both 720p). Most reviews rate these two as the best in their respective class (the Pioneer Kuro rates highly too, but is more $$), with the Samsung getting the edge because of it's slightly cheaper price & USB port, which the Panasonic doesn't have. Anyhow, my bud has the Samsung, and the picture quality is unreal. I actually watched a Bruins game at his house because of the picture. :D So, my question's are, do you know these TV's? Are they worth it? Is Plasma the right way to go? Should I go 1080p, or is the difference neglible? How is the glare? Did I miss anything?

Service Providers

Moving to an HD set up requires HD service, or with Comcast, an HD box. I am a former Dish Network customer who now has Comcast. I like Comcast but it is mucho $$. I have no problems going back the satellite as I enjoyed the service. I initially switched because I eliminated my home phone (single guy with a cell phone). Anyhow, Comcast is expensive, and I'm considered switching to Verizon phone & DSL with Direct TV. It'd be a little cheaper, but would give me more channels & recievers for other TV's. My question's here are, should I switch? My bud had Direct TV and his reception always had problems. Which is better for HD? Can you watch different channels on different TV's with Direct TV? I could with DISH. Am I missing anything?

Buying a TV Online

I almost forgot, does anyone have an advice on whether or not it's wise to buy a TV online? The TV's listed above are considerably cheaper online, than they are at the local electronics stores, like Best Buy, Circuit City, etc. The difference is somewhere in the $300-400 range. That's a good chunk of change that would go a long way toward a PS3!

BTW, does anyone know what level phone line I'll need if I move to Direct TV? Would the flat rate plan be ok? Doesn't D TV make toll free calls to itself? Thanks for any, and all advice fellas. :D
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2007
  2. BradyManny

BradyManny Rookie

Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0

My 2 cents - plasma look great, but be very careful about "image retention". Be sure to research it when buying your TV, and then know exactly how to treat your TV in order to avoid any image burn-in. A family friend of mine has the Samsung plasma as well, and it is pretty sick.

Personally, I think LCD/Plasma is basically a toss-up, so if your preference is plasma, I'd go for it as long as you're aware of the care you need to take to avoid burn-in.

At work we bought (through the web) an HD LCD for video editing, no problems at all with the delivery. (Sony Bravia, which pretty much kicks a** as well).

As for receiving HD signals, I have no idea about dish, satellite and all that. But, if you buy a TV with a HD tuner in it, you can bypass the box and pick up HD channels without paying the $10 fee a month that Comcast/RCN would make you for an HD box. From personal experience, I have basic RCN cable, no HD box, and am picking up a shytload of HD stations (including cable networks) through my TV equipped with a QAM tuner. I'm not sure if this is the norm, so I'm not sure I can recommend this. To be honest, I didn't expect to pick up anything other than the networks, though in theory, since I'm paying for the standard def channels, I see no reason why I can't pick up the HD if I purchased a TV made to do just that, cable HD box or not. The idea that Hi-Def channels should somehow cost more is just another example of the crap cable companies pull.

There's also HD antennas to consider - you'll get the networks in HD, and presumably, the picture quality is superior to cable, which compresses its signals. But you won't get any cable networks, so that might be something you only very briefly consider.
  3. weswelker#83

weswelker#83 Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

LCD better than plasma and dlp.

Dlp takes too much space

Plasma is too stiff on power consumption
    Of the three, plasma screens are generally the most power hungry. Flat-panel LCDs often have a good brightness-to-consumption ratio.

If you go with LCD : get the ones that has a better ratio contrast like 9000:1 .

I do have a samsung Full HD 1080p with 2 hdmi connectors / 2 AV / 1 computer port /.

Other good brands : Sony bravia , Sharp , Panasonic ,OLG....

Remember if its not 1080p Full HD , you ll not take advantage of the PS3 Blue ray oR XBOX 360 HD-DVD.

Good luck.
  4. Michael

Michael Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

I'd also add plasmas are not very good in well lit rooms or any room with windows. They are really best used in a home theater room that has no windows. They are also much more prone to burn in than LCD or rear projection. There is no way I would play any video games on a plasma and risk burning in any graphics from the game on my screen.