PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Dion Lewis Status??

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's been a few reports saying he's doing well and is on schedule. Given that he got hurt midseason I expect him back for Game 1. ACLs generally aren't 12 month recoveries.
ACL's can absolutely take 12 moths and rushing back is how people get reinjured

ACL's can absolutely take 12 moths and rushing back is how people get reinjured
I said "generally". And I'm correct, they usually don't now. What they decide to do with Lewis, I have no idea.

If he isn't ready to go off the bat..we should all be somewhat happy? Since i don't think he lasts a full season..starting a few weeks late would help him and us in the long run IMO

If he isn't ready to go off the bat..we should all be somewhat happy? Since i don't think he lasts a full season..starting a few weeks late would help him and us in the long run IMO

I wouldn't say happy that he wont be back until Nov or deactivated for the first month but would be content with the decision providing that he is 100% for the remainder of the season.

Not being pessimistic but from my sports medicine days in college it usually takes 2 years to fully recover from and ACL injury. The 1st year is physical and the second year is mental. I wouldnt rush him back unless you see that he is running and trusting the knee fully, otherwise he will run a little timid which may cause reinjury or he just wont be as effective. He is a quick cut/burst guy so trusting that knee is important. AP is more of a power straight ahead runner so I think it was a little easier for him to come back sooner. Just my .02.

normally I would say put him on the PUP til week 6-8, but with the Brady suspension looming, it would be nice to have him as a great check down option for Aladdin.

Currently my favorite Patriots player... does anyone have any updates

James White will most likely be the beneficiary of Lewis starting the year on PUP as a "change of pace back", and he still has some upside if he tightens up some other aspects of his game. If dj foster shows up well in training camp/preseason he might be thrown into the mix too.

It's hard to get too excited about Donald Brown as I see him as a guy who has either struggled/failed in his opportunities to click with an offense, or to crack a lineup thus far.

Hope Lewis is doing well, just as long as he's not getting a lot of packages from Peyton Manning's wife.

I heard that due to the fact that Kraft doesn't support the fans of this team, that his knee will never be 100%
I heard that due to the fact that Kraft doesn't support the fans of the this team, that you'll continue on as Official Board Troll.

I heard he died. Optimism is not allowed around here. 2 years for an ACL recovery? JC, when has that happened since surgeons have had instruments? Every recent ACL recovery I remember has been about 9 months. Release him. It's over. Chief Dark Clouds prevail, as usual around here. If the original North American explorers had been members on this board, the western border of the U.S. would have ended around Pittsfield.

I heard he died. Optimism is not allowed around here. 2 years for an ACL recovery? JC, when has that happened since surgeons have had instruments? Every recent ACL recovery I remember has been about 9 months. Release him. It's over. Chief Dark Clouds prevail, as usual around here. If the original North American explorers had been members on this board, the western border of the U.S. would have ended around Pittsfield.

I suggest you re-read what was said. He said a year of physical recovery followed by a year of mental recovery. smh..

I suggest you re-read what was said. He said a year of physical recovery followed by a year of mental recovery. smh..
I suggest that a year of mental recovery following a year of physical recovery indicates a mentally weak individual. I think more highly of Lewis than that. I'll repeat: the typical, not all, recent performance history of NFL players' successful recoveries from ACL injuries is less than 12 months.

I heard he died. Optimism is not allowed around here. 2 years for an ACL recovery? JC, when has that happened since surgeons have had instruments? Every recent ACL recovery I remember has been about 9 months.

As I understand it, no ACL is actually healed after 9 months. It takes at least twice that long for the ligament to regrow along the graft. Players do routinely come back much more quickly, but that's due to their urgency to get back on the field, not because they've reached 100% strength or passed the point of high reinjury risk. Worse, returning to action before you're completely confident in your rebuilt knee puts you at increased risk of overstressing and injuring the other knee.

IOW, Lewis will probably be back on schedule, but I have mixed feelings about it. Here's a useful article:
Are Players Rushing ACL Injury Recovery?

As I understand it, no ACL is actually healed after 9 months. It takes at least twice that long for the ligament to regrow along the graft. Players do routinely come back much more quickly, but that's due to their urgency to get back on the field, not because they've reached 100% strength or passed the point of high reinjury risk. Worse, returning to action before you're completely confident in your rebuilt knee puts you at increased risk of overstressing and injuring the other knee.

IOW, Lewis will probably be back on schedule, but I have mixed feelings about it. Here's a useful article:
Are Players Rushing ACL Injury Recovery?
The piece seems well-written. However, it focuses upon those ACL injuries which took longer to heal and seemed to ignore those which took less time. My point was simply this: without knowing the severity of Lewis's injury, the rate of his recovery thus far and the quality of care he received, it is a mistake to suggest that a return to full health by the start of the season is unlikely. Recent history suggests it is "more probable than not." Sorry for the use of that term:)...

I heard that due to the fact that Kraft doesn't support the fans of the this team, that you'll continue on as Official Board Troll.

beats being the Official Board Idiot

I suggest that a year of mental recovery following a year of physical recovery indicates a mentally weak individual. I think more highly of Lewis than that. I'll repeat: the typical, not all, recent performance history of NFL players' successful recoveries from ACL injuries is less than 12 months.
I don't know about that, it's not mental recovery as in they are somehow unable to will themselves to play, but rather that there has been a substantial physiological trauma that can take a significant amount of time to build back into muscle memory and balance, and for the player's brain to trust the joint as thoughtlessly as they had before.

Recovery in the sense of returning to the playing field has shortened. Recovery to the same level of play is often somewhat uneven. Adrian Peterson was seemingly unaffected. NE has a couple examples of great players that took until the 2nd full season back to look like their former selves, in Welker and Brady. As you note later though, this may be balanced with the severity of the original injury...as well as many other factors like player's age, setbacks in rehab, etc.

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but one of the benefits of putting Lewis on the PUP list, is that it opens up a roster spot for a rookie player, that you may want to stash on the practice squad if they clear waivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back