PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Dimaggio-like Statistic

Status
Not open for further replies.

italia44

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
An aside to the "flavor of the month" teams in the NFL :In the Brady era,the Patriots are a Dimaggio-like,56-1,when leading entering the 4th Quarter.What an extraordinary statistic,and one that is much overlooked by the national media.Says a lot about the team and the coaching staff,don't ya think?

Let me guess. The one loss is from the game against the Dolphins in 2004.

zippo59 said:
Let me guess. The one loss is from the game against the Dolphins in 2004.
Bingo!,give that man a cigar.

Another stat..closing in on...

What about the losing 2 games in a row stat...isn't that still going on?? And are they not closing in on the record??

Re: Another stat..closing in on...

Pats726 said:
What about the losing 2 games in a row stat...isn't that still going on?? And are they not closing in on the record??
Give this man a Cigar,too!
(slow down...I'm running out of cigars)

I think Miami holds th record...do not know what it is....does it go back to 02??? and the 4 game losing streak then....

Last edited:
It's a neat statistic, but why the DiMaggio ref?

A DiMaggio reference is really only relevent for an unbroken streak. Otherwise it's just "a really, really good proportion".

Belisarius said:
It's a neat statistic, but why the DiMaggio ref?

A DiMaggio reference is really only relevent for an unbroken streak. Otherwise it's just "a really, really good proportion".
It was just a sly reference to the #56,that's all

italia44 said:
An aside to the "flavor of the month" teams in the NFL :In the Brady era,the Patriots are a Dimaggio-like,56-1,when leading entering the 4th Quarter.What an extraordinary statistic,and one that is much overlooked by the national media.Says a lot about the team and the coaching staff,don't ya think?

What's interesting would be to analyze why the Pats almost never relinquish a 4th quarter lead... I think it has more to do with offensive philosophy and aggressiveness and less to do with shut-down defense.

qbert said:
What's interesting would be to analyze why the Pats almost never relinquish a 4th quarter lead... I think it has more to do with offensive philosophy and aggressiveness and less to do with shut-down defense.
I don't know,I like to think of it as something mystical,something inside them as a team,like the Spartans in ancient Greece,or how the Yankees always seem to play their best on the World Series stage.
Can't teach it,gotta have it.

italia44 said:
or how the Yankees always seem to play their best on the World Series stage.
Can't teach it,gotta have it.

I think that mojo is gone, given how they lost to Arizona and Florida in their last 2 appearances.

qbert said:
I think that mojo is gone, given how they lost to Arizona and Florida in their last 2 appearances.
that's true,but something greater than just talent got them all those world series rings and I think that's a good description of the Patriots,also

italia44 said:
It was just a sly reference to the #56,that's all

Ah, fair enough then. My apologies for being such a humourless lurch.

italia44 said:

It's an amazing statistic. I agree that it speaks volumes about the entire team and the coaches. It says a lot about their focus, desire to win and ability to make the right decisions.

qbert said:
I'd put my vote in for "situational football." It's what the Patriots do best, and the 4th quarter is when situations become more clearly defined and preparation becomes more important.

Also, I think they've consistently been one of the best conditioned teams in the NFL, which would make the difference in the fourth quarter.

In short, it's all about hard work. Hard work is what keeps a team going when they are tired, and it's what creates a team able to take advantage of situations better than other teams. The coaches work hard game-planning, the players work hard on their conditioning, and everyone works hard practicing.

It's an amazing statistic. Really is. It should be the first thing anyone thinks about when they think of the Patriots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back