PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Dillon to retire?

Status
Not open for further replies.
All I can say is thank you, Corey.

You weren't always 100%, but you always gave the Pats 100%.

i respect his decision. You never want to try and comeback and possibly get hurt which can hurt your future and what u do. I have the world of respect for Corey as a player and person..hes a tough guy..battled through injuries, stayed strong and i will miss his stiff arm and mean streak. Its a shame he wont be a Patriot or player anymore but i hope hes happy and succesfull with what he does from here on out. Hes helped us tremendously..individual players..helped the team..helped the organization. he def. deserves HOF and i'll root for him

Corey Dillon was an absolute beast who gave his all. Even in his decline, he still gave us 10+ TD's. Thanks for the 3rd trophy, Corey.

Did he announce his retirement? I can tread the link without registering.

Patriots' Dillon to call it quits
Running back will ask for his release
By Mike Reiss, Globe Staff | February 22, 2007

INDIANAPOLIS — Running back Corey Dillon wants to leave the game on his own terms, saying he will ask the Patriots for his release and is prepared to retire.

‘‘I think more of my health, how I envision myself 5-10 years down the road,’’ Dillon said via cellphone from California. ‘‘I don’t want to be broken down, not able to play with my kids. I’ve been blessed and fortunate enough to play 10 years. I can get up and walk around and be comfortable. That’s one of the big determining factors.’’

New York Giants running back Tiki Barber made a similar decision this season, retiring to accept a broadcasting job with NBC despite still playing at a high level.

‘‘We came into the league together and when he said ‘retire,’ I said to him that we were thinking the same stuff,’’ Dillon said. ‘‘We’ve had a ton of carries, a ton of pounding.’’

The 32-year-old Dillon believes he has nothing more to prove. In 10 seasons with the Bengals (1997-2003) and Patriots (2004-06), he totaled 11,241 rushing yards, 14th on the NFL’s all-time list. In 2004, he won the Super Bowl ring he coveted.

‘‘There comes a time in your football career when you come to a conclusion and I’m at mine,’’ he said. ‘‘I don’t need to play.’’

Asked if he would suit up for another team, Dillon said he was ‘‘going to leave the window open, but it’s very slim.

‘‘Football is the furthest thing on my mind right now,’’ he said. ‘‘I may wake up and feel the itch and decide I still want to shake it, but as of now, I doubt that will happen.’’

Dillon said he has yet to speak with the Patriots. He is under contract for the next three seasons and his salary cap charge for 2007 is $4.4 million. Given that number, it’s likely the Patriots would grant his request.

When he signed a five-year extension in 2005 (with $6 million in bonuses), Dillon said he treated it as a two-year deal because of its structure. That extension, which paid him approximately $10 x million the last two years, came after the season in which the Patriots acquired him from the Bengals for a second-round draft choice. In his first year with New England, Dillon set the franchise’s season record for rushing yards (1,635 yards) and felt revived after seven mostly losing seasons in Cincinnati. Dillon also enjoyed the idea that he could blend into the team concept with the Patriots.

‘‘That was the best season of my career,’’ said Dillon, who settled with his family in Newton. ‘‘I did everything they wanted me to do and we won it all. It wasn’t like I went to the Pats and sat on the bench. I did my work and I’d like people to think I was a deciding factor in helping win the Super Bowl.’’

In his three years with the team, the hard-charging Dillon helped the Patriots to a 35-8 record in games in which he played. He scored 39 touchdowns in 43 contests, totaling 3,180 yards on 753 rushes (4.2-yard average).

‘‘I gave them what they wanted; I didn’t come in and steal money,’’ he said. ‘‘I felt like the money they spent was well earned.’’

Dillon’s role declined in each of his three seasons, going from 345 carries to 209 in 2005, and 199 last season. He said the changing role had little to do with his decision, although he acknowledged things weren’t always perfect in New England.

‘‘I dealt with the snaps,’’ he said of sharing the load with rookie Laurence Maroney last season. ‘‘In all honesty, it helped me more than anyone else. I stayed fresh. I’m injury-free. I enjoyed my time with my teammates. I have a bond with some of the guys and I’ll miss the [running back] room. Those guys are my boys for life.’’

Dillon became close with running back Kevin Faulk, and said he also took pride in helping Maroney. Asked if he feels Maroney is ready for expanded duty, Dillon said, ‘‘If he’s not, he better be. I think the world of the young guy and will be watching him. I wish him all the success in the world.’’

Maroney is signed through the 2010 season, and the Patriots also have Faulk under contract through 2009. Running backs Heath Evans and Patrick Pass are scheduled for unrestricted free agency March 2.

Dillon, who said he told some teammates before the season that 2006 was likely his last, hopes he has done enough to earn his place among the game’s greats in the Pro Football Hall of Fame. In the Patriots’ season finale at Tennessee, he moved ahead of former Redskins running back John Riggins on the NFL’s all-time rushing list. In 150 career regular-season games, Dillon carried 2,618 times, averaging nearly 18 carries per game, reflecting his reputation as a workhorse.

‘‘I can go to sleep and wake up knowing I was a baller,’’ Dillon said.

Yet accounts of Dillon’s career have often focused as much on his stormy relationship with the media as his on-field accomplishments. In Cincinnati and New England, he had a sometimes volatile relationship with the media. With the Patriots, age was often a topic that made him bristle.

‘‘Lack of respect is a big thing with me and I just felt that a guy of my stature should be respected for playing that many years — I don’t care if you’re 32 or 35, or if you gain a yard or a half-yard,’’ he said. ‘‘There were little tweaks here and there, some I didn’t appreciate, but I tried to handle it with class. To be old and lead the team in scoring and rushing, there is nothing more to be said.’’

Dillon is currently in California, where his ‘‘main focus is trying to hit the golf course.’’ He said he expects to talk further with his agent, Steve Feldman, about his decision. Although Dillon acknowledges that Feldman and Patriots officials might try to convince him to play another season, Dillon said, ‘‘At end of day, I’m going to make the decision.’’

And right now, his work is done.

‘‘I’m leaving on a high note,’’ he said. ‘‘That’s how you want to leave the game.’’

10 years is a long time for a RB. It's not like Dillon was a slouch during his career either. He was on the decline, so this benefits his legacy and gives us a leg up.

The FA market, much like the draft, is weak on the whole, however there's some decent RB's out there such as UMass grad Marcel Shipp, James Mungro, Maurice Hicks, and Kenny Watson.

Can't wait to see what Brian Leonard runs at the combine. Tony Hunt may be an option now.

he didnt announce it but it was a phone convo and just asid why he will likely retire..a chance he returns but doubts it. said he wants to stay healthy for his life and says he considered himself a big factor and said he had his best year here when we won the SB

Ah man. Thanks for the great seasons. He could still play another season, but his carries would need to be very limited, mostly to goal line. His body has definitely been through a lot.

Thank You Corey for 2004, you were a horse and made us the dynasty we became.. Hall of Famer in my book.

Thanks 2-8. You'll be missed for your heart, desire, and fire.

On the other side of this, holes are beginning to emerge. The pats have needs at secondary and linebacker as we saw in the playoffs, at wr which is now a potentially a bigger need with Jackson's situation, and now at backup rb. Evans is a nice back but do you want him as your primary power back?

There is no other FO I'd want having to fill these voids than the one that the Pats have.

Wow. What a sad day in Boston sports. Thank you Corey, good luck in the future.

I am absolutely blown away by the decision. However, I do respect Corey and I want to thank him for proving me 100% wrong and making me eat crow. He was the best running back this team has seen in too many years. Laurence Maroney has big shoes to fill.

It will be very interesting to see how active the Pats are in trying to acquire a RB prior to the draft.

I felt he had a year left in him, but I have no worries making Maroney the man.
We do gain cap room. As for a replacement, I dont think we get much more than a jag, since Faulk is fine as a backup. I'd like to see a younger vet who could fill in as a starter if Maroney were out, keeping Faulk as the #2.
Something along the lines of a career backup who has started at times.

I smell a rat... I think he was asked to take a pay cut, and he refused.. Why else would he say I am keeping that option of playing for another team.. Well for what its worth, I think Corey was great for 2004 for us, he began to decline in 2005 and in 2006 was ok , and was a good short yrd guy for us...

We do gain cap room. As for a replacement, I dont think we get much more than a jag, since Faulk is fine as a backup. I'd like to see a younger vet who could fill in as a starter if Maroney were out, keeping Faulk as the #2.

Oh, and Corey dillon will go down as a great Patriot.

‘‘That was the best season of my career,’’ said Dillon, who settled with his family in Newton. ‘‘I did everything they wanted me to do and we won it all. It wasn’t like I went to the Pats and sat on the bench. I did my work and I’d like people to think I was a deciding factor in helping win the Super Bowl.’’

Corey you definitely helped win that third Superbowl. I'll always remember that 2 nd half of the Colts game when McGinest was like "Clock killin Cory Dillon..... man I'll have to open another gatorade for this drive"

I always appreciated his hard core approach and when he says he's a gamer, Corey is a gamer, he'd be in there if he was dinged up. His production dropped off but I enjoyed having him on the Pats.

I wish him luck.

If he's released after 6/1, we would save $600K on the cap this year but would lose $1.3M next year as he still has $5.7M of signing bonus unaccounted for onthe cap. I imagine he'd like to take the money and run but I'm guessing the Patriots aren't going to want to pay all 4 years of signing bonus for two years of work.

Corey Dillon was/is the man. He was finally our replacement for Curtis Martin. I was hoping he could go one more year and send him off the right way.

:rocker: :rocker: Corey Dillon:rocker: :rocker:

The Pats should steal Dominic Rhodes. Not the fastest or strongest but a savvy vet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back