Dillon redid his deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miguel

Patriots Salary Cap Guru
PatsFans.com Supporter
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
His 2006 salary used to be listed as $3,000,000. It is now listed as $710,000.
If we presume that the difference (2,290,000) was converted into a signing bonus, then the Pats saved $1,717,500 this year while adding $572,500 to his cap hits in 2007,2008, and 2009.

Miguel said:
If we presume that the difference (2,290,000) was converted into a signing bonus, then the Pats saved $1,717,500 this year while adding $572,500 to his cap hits in 2007,2008, and 2009.

Very interesting. So now we have more cap room. Jesus, what are they going to do with all this money? Enquiring minds would like to know. ;)

A good find as always...and also a good move...did you see any others???

DefenseRules said:
Very interesting. So now we have more cap room. Jesus, what are they going to do with all this money? Enquiring minds would like to know. ;)

It seems like we plan on clearing enough room to eventually sign the entire Arizona organization.

All right I have to ask it. What the hell are they going to do with all this cap space? I wish I knew the plan. UUUUUHHHHHH it's nawing at me!! Extend Seymour, Branch, Koppen. Bring in Moulds.

They wouldn't be creating all this cap space if they didn't have a plan. Keep the faith, we will see soon enough.

And no, Bob Kraft is not doing this so he can put it in his pocket. They will spend up to the cap as they always do.

Last edited:
Arrington...Moulds??

Either one will make me wet my undies.

Last edited:
skri65 said:
Arrington...Moulds??

Either one will make me wet my undies.
I think your undies will be dry...no worry.

DefenseRules said:
So now we have more cap room
I am not sure that the Pats actually have more cap room because of this deal. I think that this deal was part of the reason why the media has been recently reporting that the Pats were under the cap by $20 million.

Miguel said:

Could this be part of the mysterious 3 million that got the Patriots to the 20 million under the cap mark?

DaBruinz said:
Could this be part of the mysterious 3 million that got the Patriots to the 20 million under the cap mark?

BINGO! We gots Bingo!

It'd make no sense to push the cap hit out to later years unless they were going to do something with teh space this year. Unless it's some new accounting trick -:)

PatsSteve1 said:
It'd make no sense to push the cap hit out to later years unless they were going to do something with teh space this year. Unless it's some new accounting trick -:)
Yeah, Dillon is one of the guys I definitely didn't expect to push our obligation to out into future years.

well

Anyone else feel like Christmas morning: you know something is coming but you have no earthly idea what it is! :D

I think they are extending Big Sey to a big contract...that would be better than any FA signing I could think of. fingers crossed

Boston Boxer said:
I think they are extending Big Sey to a big contract...that would be better than any FA signing I could think of. fingers crossed

I think they may be changing the way they do some contracts. Instead of back-loading their big contracts they will front-load the contracts. Just like the Vikings and a few other clubs did with a few contracts when they had lots of cap room. If they sign Big Sey and Branch, you may see the Pats take a big hit this year and lessen the cap hit in future years giving them more flexibility.

Boston Boxer said:
I think we would all be happy...Sey is a big deal and..needed here!!

BelichickFan said:
Yeah, Dillon is one of the guys I definitely didn't expect to push our obligation to out into future years.

I do not get it, either. The Pats just gave Dillon a $3 million option bonus.
There are 3 other possibilities, none of which I think are likely.

1.) Dillon agreed to a paycut. But why do so after getting the $3 million option bonus.
2.) Dillon agreed to a paycut with the hopes of making up the money with incentives. Ditto.
3.) Dillon agreed to become a 6/2 release. His $710,000 salary would remain on the Pats cap until 6/2. Ditto.

The more important question for me, Miguel, is what type of a cap hit the Pats would take if they cut him after this season.

I'm one who believes that Corey played injured last season, and most assuredly is not washed up.

But nor do I think his 5 year contract was meant to be five years. I hope we get a few more seasons out of him but in the worst case scenario, at the time he was signed, I figured a $10 million signing bonus translated into $5 mil a year for 2 years if his skills only lasted that long.

That, assuming he played like he did in 2004, seemed very palatable to me at the time.

But if his skills aren't back this season when he's fully healthy, the Pats will have to decide whether to cut him for next season. At that point, what would his dead money value be?

JoeSixPat said:
At that point, what would his dead money value be?
$5,767,500.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back