PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Dillon Punished?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dealmacher

Banned
Reaction score
Does anyone else think that Dillon may not have started, because he unloaded his opinion on the collective media this week?

I was thinking the same thing after he sat out the first 2 drives.

I am not sure about that.

Dillon is beginning to remind me of Antowain.

I think there is roughly a 0% chance that Dillon sat out even 1 single play because of discipline for telling the media he didn't care what they think or say.

The game plan early was to spread the field and throw the ball which means Faulk is going to be in the game. This is hardly the first time we have done this.

Last edited:
I thought the same thing... and it would be like BB not to make any mention of that to the media

... of course if the media asked he would have to say something like - "team discipline issues are a team matter and I won't discuss it" which would probably be like an admission anyway

I don't think it was much different than the first drive of Dillon's career in NE, against Indy he wasn't on the field the whole drive. Just matchups and game plans.

Felger just said that Corey thinks he was being punished for his media statements.

That's OK. I want that man pissed off. Neither Denver or Indy have the run defense that Jax had.

I think he's being punished for being slow. It's more of an advantage to play the quicker Faulk earlier on in the game, and then let Dillon come in and mop things up.

I was thinking that.

But in terms of performance, something seems off. The holes seem OK for Faulk, but not for Dillon? Teams could be assuming pass when Faulk is in, but he seems to hit the hole so much better.

Earlier this year, some were saying his loss was not that big, but I think it was huge. Putting aside the run and pass, watch his blitz pick-up -- some of Brady's receptions to others owe some to Faulk.

I thought the same thing. Was watching the game with my father and I said, where's Corey ? Then Corey came in and looked like the 2005 Corey, except a few runs where he ran like he was pissed off, and the Jags defenders paid the price.

i think he was.. it was mentioned on the radio normally a player who is a substitution player is on the sidelines ready to go.. dillon was on the bench for those first two drives..

looked like discipline to me..

onegameatatime said:
I was thinking that.

But in terms of performance, something seems off. The holes seem OK for Faulk, but not for Dillon? Teams could be assuming pass when Faulk is in, but he seems to hit the hole so much better.

Earlier this year, some were saying his loss was not that big, but I think it was huge. Putting aside the run and pass, watch his blitz pick-up -- some of Brady's receptions to others owe some to Faulk.

The holes weren't there for Dillon. And on more than one occasion during Dillon's runs, a Jag defender was into the backfield.

When Corey's in the backfield, you pretty much know what's coming. For a defense like JAX it a no-brainer pre-snap read. You play to hit him and rush if it's a pass. When Faulkor Pass are in it's more read-and-react. The advantage then goes to the O-line who were sometimes able to open cracks for quick hitters. It wasn't Corey's game.

Didn't Dillon actually start? Maybe I was dreaming, but I thought I saw him in the first play and then he was gone for a while.

I liked what I saw of Dillon in the second half. He looked alot quicker off the line and turned some 2 yard losses into 1 yard gains.

Faulk started.

Cory has been getting stronger in the second half when he's played this season. I suspect he just needs longer to warm up to game speed, which probably goes to his calf injury.

dhamz said:
I think there is roughly a 0% chance that Dillon sat out even 1 single play because of discipline for telling the media he didn't care what they think or say.

The game plan early was to spread the field and throw the ball which means Faulk is going to be in the game. This is hardly the first time we have done this.

Bull's-Eye. Why would BB care that Corey went off on the media? Because he mentioned Belichick's name in doing so? That's absurd. This was a scheme decision, pure and simple.

A very excellent scouting report that was posted here late last week indicated that the Jags were just about the worst team in football covering RBs out of the backfield. As brilliant as that poster is, Belichick is more so, and laid out the game plan accordingly.

I dont think he was disciplined, but he was clearly just sitting on the bench for the first couple drives. I think it was more of a game plan thing. I also think his lack of prodcution is because of multiple factors.
Being dinged up more than is being said, playcalling, and game situations. He does still pick up the blitz as good anyone, which I saw a couple times against Jax. I think he will need to have at least one big game before the postseason is over.

Discipline

Box_O_Rocks said:
Faulk started.

Cory has been getting stronger in the second half when he's played this season. I suspect he just needs longer to warm up to game speed, which probably goes to his calf injury.
can you imagine corey accepting "discipline" in cincinnati? if that's what was happening, then he has really bought in to BB's approach.
IMHO Corey IS a 2nd-half RB. but what's really happening is that he has success when he gets into carries #15 and #25. the defense is getting sick of tackling him, he has figured out their angles, and he's starting to get into it.
IMO the decision to use faulk was as much about matchups as discipline. patriots wanted to run some quick-hitters and they sure did work. BTW did you notice they were running faulk's plays over the LEFT side of the OL? incredible.

ilduce06410 said:
can you imagine corey accepting "discipline" in cincinnati? if that's what was happening, then he has really bought in to BB's approach.
IMHO Corey IS a 2nd-half RB. but what's really happening is that he has success when he gets into carries #15 and #25. the defense is getting sick of tackling him, he has figured out their angles, and he's starting to get into it.
IMO the decision to use faulk was as much about matchups as discipline. patriots wanted to run some quick-hitters and they sure did work. BTW did you notice they were running faulk's plays over the LEFT side of the OL? incredible.
Yes, Cory is our punisher, we'd use him more if he wasn't dented, but we want him for goal lines, short yardage, and clock-killin' in the second half.

I hope to start working on the 1st Qtr breakdowns tonight, I do remember Kevin breaking his longest run off the left side, but he had a couple good runs on the right too - though I think they picked on Henderson who is slower to react then Stroud by targeting the left side - not that Logan and Nick aren't present and future bulldozers!

I don't buy into the discipline thing - as far as I know Felger started this story. Lately, I've noticed that the Herald (more specifically Felgie) have been more willing to include opinion on a player in their news stories, which dictates what the reader should think. I had pretty much stopped reading the Globe before they grabbed Mike Reiss, now I get my best news story reads from him and Solomon, of the three major papers, I don't know if it's their style or an editorial standard, but I don't feel like I've been told what to think. I can get that from people here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes