PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Dillon/Maroney & the running game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Box_O_Rocks

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
A couple folks commented in the official game thread on Dillon having a better YPC average than Maroney, this led to others calling for Maroney to sit and Dillon to carry the entire workload...it "should" be needless to say that things are not as simple as sitting one for the other, "should" being the operative word.

Dillon gains the tough yards with more consistency because he is (1) experienced at reading blocking and reading defenses; (2) he is a veteran who has had a number of years to learn how to prepare his body for the game as played at the pro level.

Maroney gained acclaim early on for his speed and quickness, ask Reggie Bush if that has been enough at this level...Maroney is learning to read defenses, he is learning to read blocking, he is developing his onfield judgement but is a long way away from "seeing" the game at anywhere near the speed that Cory sees.

Even the trolls know Maroney has the speed and quickness to make life interesting for opposing defenses, where things need to improve is his ability to read the play and his willingness to batter defensive players the same way his mentor does - none of which can be developed sitting on the bench. In the Miami game, Maroney made some silly dance moves, but he also plowed into the defense with 'Dillon-like' power. Barring injury, the platooning is going to continue to develop Maroney's game vision and his continued willingness to blast into small creases in lieu of doing the rookie RB dance - add in a full offseason conditioning program and he is going to be greatly improved for next year. Every time he gets stuffed because he hesitated gives Ivan Fears another opportunity to point out the dangers of indecision and every time Cory leaves defensive players awaiting an injury timeout he shows the rookie how the game is played in Patriot-ville, smashmouth.

The platooning minimizes Cory's wear and tear, plus it develops that shiny new RB. Seems like there is madness to BB's method.

After spending most of the game running between the tackles for not much, Maroney did bust one outside for a critical first down in the 4th qtr.

I'm not sold on this being a problem with Maroney's technique. I don't think the schemes, plays, sets, etc are designed very well. I know, I know, typical coach bashing from a New England/Boston fan. However, it's been two or three games where he's been consistently stuffed at the line by oh, say, four or five defensive players.

To me, that signifies that the plays are too easy to read for defenses. Those sets must translate really well to film because Miami isn't the only team who has figured them out.

HMMM! Miami is not a bad defense, they came out determined to stop the run and they did. I believe we won the game.

I don't know. I would have like to see Corey with more carries. I know, I know, Maroney is the future, but I think Corey has shown to be just as effective and durable this season. I thought today that when Maroney was rushing for 1-2 yards per attempt it was probably wiser to put in Corey to gain an additional yard or two to eat up some more time.

But hey, what do I know:)

Best thing for the running game is 2 weeks of Brady throwing to the WRs in practice.

It is true that Dillon gets something when it's stacked up, but we need to open up the offense and tear them a new one every game like in Cinci.

Dillon ran that stretch play left successfully 3-4 times. It seemed
to me we didn't go back to that enough with him. As Box O Rocks
mentined it looks like limiting Dillon's carries is intentional. We want
him running this hard in Dec. and Jan. Can't complain about being
4-1. Looks like we have some warts. But, what team doesn't?

Our run game is 0-2 vs good defenses.

I can't fathom why anyone would be concerned for a nano-second abour Maroney. He's a rook. He's learning. He's making plays.

It could be worse. He could be Joseph Addai for christ's sake.

patsfaninpa said:
Looks like we have some warts. But, what team doesn't?

The Bears dont seem to have warts as of right now, but I think that they are peaking way too early. There will be an adjustment after mid season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back