Welcome to PatsFans.com

Dilemma - help required

Discussion in 'The PatsFans.com Pub' started by ironwasp, Mar 29, 2007.

1. ironwasp

ironwasp Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Sorry for interrupting your day with this, but I have run across a problem and could use some advice.

It's a real situation and I really am not sure how to handle it. I've outlined it here on my blog as it's a crime of sorts (perhaps) and any advice - best left as a comment on the blog probably or in a thread here - would be most appreciated.

2. JoeSixPat

JoeSixPat Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +186 / 2 / -3

2 – Make a joke about what great shoes he’s wearing and tell him I have pair the same!

Ask him where he got them too maybe - how much they cost... that you had to look all over to find them.

Its not worth it to outright accuse him - but its not worth it to let him think he's been unnoticed either. Avoid a confrontational situation

3. Clonamery

Clonamery PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +165 / 0 / -1

I would say that because you have several pairs of shoes under your desk the cleaner may have assumed that you have no need for them, especially if he is from another culture.

In my work area we had food items disappearing overnight. Packets of instant this or that, twinkies out of a whole box of twinkies, slice of cake taken from a closed container and the like. Plus change taken here in there inside desk drawers. Turns out the Hispanic cleaning ladies were bringing their children with them (no babysitter available?) and their kids were running wild..........nothing earthshattering, just annoying. We left notes asking nicely but directly that our things be left alone and that worked. Our Human Resources Dept. opted not to do anything because there was no proof of theft. In fact they said just clear out all personal possessions and change. I told them they should run for political office.

Seriously, I'd let it go and clear out most of what's under your desk. And as a frequent traveler to the Las Vegas Convention Center myself, I'd say purchase a pair of decent Rockport dress/business shoes as they are most comfortable for being on your feet 8 hours.

4. ironwasp

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Clonamery and Joe, thanks for your thoughts. It's been an interesting process watching various pieces of advice come in. Pretty diverse, some of it silly, some of it helpful.

5. Michael

Michael Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +60 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Since you're unsure what became of your shoes and aren't sure the cleaner took them I might comment to him "I use to have a pair of like that" but, leave it at that. If he didn't take them no harm done. If he did he'll get the message. Either way I wouldn't want them back. I found a portfolio of mine and a credit rubber stamp belonging to a neighboring office suite in a cleaning closet in a building I worked in back in the 80s. I took back the portfolio knowing 100% it was mine and returned the stamp to the other office with a note. Since I worked nights and they were not there. they were very happy to get it back. I think the cleaning company was fired.

6. gomezcat

gomezcat It's SIR Moderator to you Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Ok, you write a great blog about crime and nasty stuff, right? Is there any reason why you haven't considered following him home, taking his family hostage and then torturing them until he confesses? :confused:

Actually, I'd tend to put this down to experience, start locking up my stuff and let it go. There is little else you can do, realistically. Like you said, the guy will be on the minimum wage (£5.35 per hour) at most. I do sympathise and it must be bloody annoying, though.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2007
  7. Miss Gomezcat

Miss Gomezcat Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Mr GCat showed this one to me and it's an interesting one. You can't accuse someone on such flimsy evidence but don't want to ignore the incident in case your colleagues also become victims.

I would mention to my colleagues that I thought I left a pair of trainers in the office but couldn't find them now in the office or elsewhere. If they say "that's odd. I seem to have lost my oojimaflips in the office too" then that's evidence that someone is light fingered and you can all be on your guard. I would make no mention of the cleaner's trainers. That should get 'round both halves of the dilemma. Unless, of course, your cleaner or colleagues reads your blog!

8. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

You should own less shoes. A man should never own more shoes than he can easily keep track of. Shoes are NOT power tools.

9. ironwasp

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Have finally come to a conclusion (of sorts) on this problem.

Material Witness

10. shmessy

shmessy Maude Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2,998 / 28 / -22

#75 Jersey

Ummmm.......aren't you a social worker????? :)

11. ironwasp

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

That's what it does to you, I guess. As we are work relatively near to one another I had been considering asking Mr Cat if he fancied getting a beer sometime. This gave me second thoughts. ;)

12. gomezcat

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Yes, kind of. Doesn't it worry you that I am allowed to work with vulnerable social housing tenants, in their own home, having passed multiple Police checks? :D
    As Ironwasp said, the job gets to you like that. I need the sick sense of humour to put up with all the crap.

13. gomezcat

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

BTW, I agree with your course of action. Given the lack of evidence, I think you did the right thing.
    OT, I read Lucy Kellaway's "Who moved my Blackberry?". It made me cringe and laugh in equal measure.

14. ironwasp

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Lucy is a very talented writer, and a great deflater of pomposity and nonsense. Her BlackBerry book is an adaptation of the Martin Lukes column that has been running successfully in the FT for years. I have had people at weddings and dinner parties recite whole bits of it to me, which is a little weird.

She is also very wise, hence following her advice. A beer sometime would be good btw, as long as you promise not to kidnap me and torture my family.

15. gomezcat

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Well, I didn't kidnap the last Patsfan I met although I did my best to get him drunk (which reminds me that I need to PM him.....). I'd love to meet for a beer. I'll promise not to torture your family, as long as you don't nick my "trainers" (sod it, you're welcome to 'em; they were £45 from Millets). :)