PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Difference between 2007 and 2010 Offenses....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: The Biggest Difference between the 2010 offense and the 2007.

No he still did quite a bit of that in 2007 :) And there was no need to adjust in 2007. Brady to Moss was unstoppable. Yes I know SB being the exception even though they were damn near unstoppable.

I don't really think Moss did much of anything in those playoffs. Their offense was Moss and Welker that year mainly with a little Gaffney.

I don't really think Moss did much of anything in those playoffs. Their offense was Moss and Welker that year mainly with a little Gaffney.

Moss reminded me of some Yankee Baseball Underachiever that year in the Playoffs.

Moss was a non factor in the playoffs. In 2007, Maroney was the offense and WW & Faulk moved the chains as teams gave the Pats nothing deep. Thats it.

This year, nothing is assumed. They are a much more versatile offense.

The Patriots offense, as dynamic as it was, wasn't extremely diverse in 2007. It was deep bombs to Randy Moss, or underneath passes to Wes Welker, and almost always from a spread formation. Stopping them was as easy as creating intense pressure right up the gut, preventing Tom Brady from stepping into his passes and forcing him to make imprecise, off-target throws, while taking away the deep threat of Moss.

New England Patriots: Why 2010's Offense Is Better Built For Postseason Than '07 | Bleacher Report

2007 was like the Colts 2004 (offensively; the Pats 07 defense was MUCH more dominant that Colts 04, don't get me wrong, that's the difference between 12-4 and 16-0)

All flash no substance.

Now, we have substance. And it comes in three words; Branch, Gronkowski, Hernandez

Patriots running attack is a legitimate threat

Tom Curran cherry picks a few complimentary stats before adding in some pretty good observations in comparing 2009 to 2010:

Total yards aren’t as important as when they come. For instance, Laurence Maroney’s 45-yard touchdown run in a 59-0 win over Tennessee in October 2009 were not quite as impressive as the Patriots 72 rushing yards in the second half at Pittsburgh in October. Especially with those yards coming against a team that hadn’t allowed a 100-yard game by an opponent all year.

The general feeling about the 2009 Patriots running game was that it was pretty good. But this year’s edition spearheaded by a pair of undrafted guys is far more effective.

The Patriots rushing attack is a realistic threat this year. Last year, it seemed more a device used until Brady could go long for Randy Moss again. The diversity of the offense with tight ends now being featured in the passing game has had an impact. And the blocking of the tight ends has as well.

It’s interesting because, last February, the Indianapolis Colts’ presence in the Super Bowl – despite having the planet’s worst rushing attack – was seen as proof of a sea change.

The notion teams needed a legitimate, grind-it-out rushing attack to succeed was passé. Protections for quarterbacks and receivers, sophisticated advances in the passing game made the air the way to go. Indy was at the leading edge of that wave.

Last season, the Colts advanced to the Super Bowl with an attack that averaged 3.54 yards per carry, 80.9 per game. That was last in the NFL.

But the presence of Peyton Manning was the equalizer.

And this year, the presence of Brady and an effective running game has resulted in a Patriots team that is again historically explosive.

2007 was great... however, 2010 seems even better, especially with the Offense. I think the key difference is not only the Tight Ends - Gronk, Aaron and Crumpler but also the running game - BJGE, Woody, Morris, Fred ... we have so many options now, it's difficult for defenses to line up against us. I can't wait till Jan 16.

Agreed, what a great season and to finally see this team succeed by getting rid of their previous one trick pony offense.

This could be the greates hands team ever assembled. Many interceptions are caused by WR's and TE's not coming away with the catch and the deflection ending up in the defenders hands instead. This group we have is amazing and the whole team has benefitted big time from their surehandedness.>think I made that word up.

Biggest difference between the two teams is BJGE > Maroney.

Teams have to respect the run and can't just pin their ears back and rush Tommy. That's what the Giants did in the SB and that's why they lost. There was no respect for the running game.

Biggest difference between the two teams is BJGE > Maroney.

Teams have to respect the run and can't just pin their ears back and rush Tommy. That's what the Giants did in the SB and that's why they lost. There was no respect for the running game.

That's true, although Football Outsiders had Maroney ranked as the 6th best back in 2007, so the difference is not as large as trying to make that comparison now would lead you to believe.

This could be the greates hands team ever assembled. Many interceptions are caused by WR's and TE's not coming away with the catch and the deflection ending up in the defenders hands instead. This group we have is amazing and the whole team has benefitted big time from their surehandedness.>think I made that word up.

It's a good receiving core and they've done better than preseason expectations, but they are still (I believe) fourth in the league in drops as a team. The lack of fumbles helps to make up for it but I don't know if I would say it is one of the greatest hands teams ever brought together. Good hands, no doubt and I would say great hands and ball security in the backfield with BJGE and Woodhead being VERY good in that regards. The receiving core will only get better in regards to catching the ball.

If anything I think that speaks even more highly of Brady's accuracy in avoiding interceptions, and putting the ball in the right place so that when it is dropped, it has less of a chance of deflection although that really isn't in his control. He has been lucky a couple times by his own admission from defenders dropping the ball, but four interceptions (one on a hail mary) is just rediculously good no matter how you look at it.

Last edited:

The biggest difference between this team and 2007's squad are the two big tight ends and more of a dependence on the running game. In 2010, we have two TE's who are a match-up problem at just about every level of the field. In 2007, we had one TE who really didn't cause the same match-up problems, even before injury. As a matter of fact, Welker was really the only guy who went over the middle consistently in 2007.

The biggest difference between this team and 2007's squad are the two big tight ends and more of a dependence on the running game. In 2010, we have two TE's who are a match-up problem at just about every level of the field. In 2007, we had one TE who really didn't cause the same match-up problems, even before injury. As a matter of fact, Welker was really the only guy who went over the middle consistently in 2007.

True, but thankfully both GRONK and Hernandez have no problems going down the middle (and rightfully so ;)).

I have enjoyed this season more.
A big difference, the performance in the last 4-5 games. This team feels like it is trending up, '07 had leveled off.
Especially the Giants wk 17, 38-35.

This year, nobody has really figured them out.

This year also feels quite like the spirit, attitude of '03-'04. Many weapons, spreading the ball around. The Moss era was fun, but the "star" focus seemed contrary to "The Patriot Way".

On Offense:
1) Minimizing the negative rush stat. The Oline is 3/5s the same but the scheme has changed. Maroney worked in a spread offense... BJGE has 2 superior blocking TEs that extend the line or pull defenders away from the line. Defenses cannot dig in. In 2007, Maroney too often was stopped behind the LOS. His SB performance, admittedly against a tough Dline, 14 carries, 7 of which were for 0 or negative yards. My eye test told me...LoMos in the game=run.
2) Chaos. Non stop skill player substitutions. With the addition of Woodhead and the TE development, defenses have sensory overload and aren't eqipped to manage the multidimensional attack. They throw the kitchen sink at the defense in the first half to detirmine the deficiencies. In 2007, Moss deep Welker short, try to stop us.
3) BB has used the quick cutting WR grouping to negate the straightline speed CB and safeties (Cromartie). Many defenses have a component designed to battle the 6-4 230lb deep threat, usually a taller more physical CB that can match speed but at the expense of quickness/agility. Eliminating Moss and adding Branch adds a level quickness that exploits defenses that were designed to match up with Moss. Safeties must have their heads on a swivel with the Mighty Mites swarming the edges of the box.

On Defense
1) BB is scheming like a motherfu**er in his secondary. Reminds me of the Ty Law years where they would "set up" QBs early with looks that would morph into turnovers late in the game.
2) Speed. The young LBs and DBs are flying around...not a strength with the "old guys" in '07. Speed gets you to balls and lessens the damage from mistakes

Last edited:

Better TE's, better RB's (especially considering Faulk was banged up in the biggest game), more versatility. May not be better overall but theoretically should be harder to slow down.

On Offense:

2) Chaos. Non stop skill player substitutions. With the addition of Woodhead and the TE development, defenses have sensory overload and aren't eqipped to manage the multidimensional attack. They throw the kitchen sink at the defense in the first half to detirmine the deficiencies. In 2007, Moss deep Welker short, try to stop us.

Dilfer after the Monday Night massacre:
"They used to come at you with four to six different formations. Now, they have so many variations, one tight end, two tight ends, three tight ends. I just broke down the recent Jets game. In their first 27 regular plays -- I excluded three goal-line plays -- they showed 27 different formations and at least a dozen different personnel groupings.
:)

Dilfer after the Monday Night massacre:
"They used to come at you with four to six different formations. Now, they have so many variations, one tight end, two tight ends, three tight ends. I just broke down the recent Jets game. In their first 27 regular plays -- I excluded three goal-line plays -- they showed 27 different formations and at least a dozen different personnel groupings.
:)

The only kind of opponent that can stop our amazing amoeba offense is one that has amazing linebackers at every linebacker spot who are equally good at cover skills and stopping the run. Without amazing linebackers to defend, almost every offensive play could be a mismatch since we have 3 stud tight ends who can both run block and catch the ball.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back