PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Difference between 2007 and 2010 Offenses....

Status
Not open for further replies.

TruthSeeker

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Is the TE position. It's played a major factor in the growing improvement of this offense.

2010 TE's
75 receptions for 932 yards and 11 TD's (Through 13 games)

2007 TE's
46 receptions for 468 yards and 8 TD's (Through 16 games)

I don't ever think we've seen the Belichick Pats use the TE's as much as we've seen this year. It's amazing how much Gronkowski and Hernandez bring to the offense. We also have better blocking from our TE's than we had in 2007. We had Ben Watson, Kyle Brady & David Thomas, with Brady being a good blocker. Crumpler and Gronkowski are excellent blockers.

And just to think that most of the success at the TE position in 2010 is coming from 2 rookies.

This comparison should be held up as exhibit A, B, C, and D-Z to the theory that it's not just about having great players, but great players that play great TOGETHER. In 2007, we had Watson and Thomas, and the production was low. Since leaving, Thomas has gone on to make big contributions to a Saints super bowl, and Watson is Cleveland's leading receiver.

First thought would be, "Well, Pats don't know how to use the tight end position, clearly..." but then you see the astounding success of Hernandez and Gronkowski, and that idea falls apart too.

Just having talent isn't enough, it has to be the right kind of talent.

And just to think that most of the success at the TE position in 2010 is coming from 2 rookies.

alge crumpler has been HUGE in the running game. BJGE is running the ball in a way maroney couldn't because the TEs especially crumpler is opening holes for him.

I never thought I'd see the day when BB wouldn't flub a TE pick/FA ... it has always been his kryptonite, just like the SS position & Theo over on the Sox.

Apparently he's mastered an immunity to krypotnite because now he has three quality TEs. Crump's more of a blocker these days but can still catch. Hernandez is more of a receiver in the Clark mold, and G-force is the all around guy. I'm so excited to see the two rookies grow over time.

When Daniel Graham was here he was an excellent blocker and caught some TD passes, but he never lived up to the first round expectations. In fact, he was prone to drops. You're right that Hernandez and Gronkowski completely trounce both Graham and Watson already.

Hernandez and Gronkowski seem to take turns on who has the better game.

The combo kind of reminds me of a better version of the Packers Jermichael Finley/Donald Lee duo from last year. Lee was a dependable receiver with blocking skills, while Finley was a TE with more of a WR mentality.

In this case, Gronkowski is like Lee and Hernandez is like Finley.

i think people are discounting the turnovers created by our D and scoring by our D in the last few weeks. The offense has been consistent in moving the ball but the D has really created these blowouts to be honest....

i think people are discounting the turnovers created by our D and scoring by our D in the last few weeks. The offense has been consistent in moving the ball but the D has really created these blowouts to be honest....

agreed in general, but the 2007 had something like 8 return TDs

let me think back.....

Hobbs kickoff return at NYJ
(forget his name) kickoff return vs. Miami
A.Thomas INT vs. SD
E.Wilson INT vs. NYJ
R.Colvin Fumble vs. WAS
R.Gay Fumble vs. CLE
E.Hobbs fumble at BUF

I'm pretty sure there were 8, so there must be one I'm forgetting

alge crumpler has been HUGE in the running game. BJGE is running the ball in a way maroney couldn't because the TEs especially crumpler is opening holes for him.

THIS.

Took the words out of my mouth. Crumpler and Gronk have been helping open big holes. To me the running game is something the 2007 team lacked.

Last edited:

Thats part of the story IMO. BJGE is running the ball well because he is a better RB than LoMo.

with Brady being a good blocker.

A couple shoulders thrown here and there and now he is a good blocker?

Seriously though the difference to me is Randy Moss, who is a ghost in postseason, now we should win something again.

Are you implying that Maroney wanted to hit holes but couldn't get them? I think the difference there is that BJ wants to go up the middle not dance.

You are kidding right? So maroney would been as productive as BJGE if he had these TE? Gimme a break...

So long as Belichick is our Head Coach and we are a winning team, this crud will resurface somewhere, from someone.

Oderint dum metuant

(Let them hate us, as long as they fear us).

This Team

This is the most balanced and dominant Patriots team I've seen since 2004.

The Biggest Difference between the 2010 offense and the 2007.

The Biggest Difference between this offense and the one in 2007 is that they are less predictable.

As the year went on in 2007 (forget about the blueprint crap) teams with talent on defense had an easier time slowing the offense down.

This offense with the talent we have can adjust better than in 2007. But hey the 2007 version didn't need to adjust very often. Removing Randy Moss has brought Brady back to what he does best. Kicking A_S_S and Taking Names!

Last edited:
Re: The Biggest Difference between the 2010 offense and the 2007.

This offense with the talent we have can adjust better than in 2007. But hey the 2007 version didn't need to adjust very often. Removing Randy Moss has brought Brady back to what he does best. Kicking A_S_S and Taking Names!

No he still did quite a bit of that in 2007 :) And there was no need to adjust in 2007. Brady to Moss was unstoppable. Yes I know SB being the exception even though they were damn near unstoppable.

Re: The Biggest Difference between the 2010 offense and the 2007.

The difference is Rob Gronkowski and Aaron Hernandez. They change the whole offense. No more missile shooting, just efficiency. That's why they let Moss go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes