PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Dierdorf: "This is Belichick's best year ever as a head coach"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Dierdorf "This is Belichick's best year ever as a Head Coach"

We've lost a couple games that we would've won if BB would've taken the Field Goal for 3 points instead of going for it.

Also terrible record on the road, and always having 4th Qtr issues for an entire season. Not good, and havent had any adjustments made to fix either problem really.

Also some terrible Offensive playcalling. I dont know who's doing the calls, but ultimately even if it's OReilly BB is still the one who put him in charge

The playoffs will determine this year's place.

This is the first year where we have seen an influx of young talent to replace aging veterans. 2001 was great, however, it really was filled with great players. We just didn't realize it at the time.

I don't get the talent thing. This team does have talent.

The playoffs will determine this year's place.

This is the first year where we have seen an influx of young talent to replace aging veterans. 2001 was great, however, it really was filled with great players. We just didn't realize it at the time.

I don't get the talent thing. This team does have talent.

Ya, I was kind of taken aback when Dierdorf said that. This team has LOADS of talent. The issue is controlling that talent and making smart football players. That's BB's job. If he can have this team of young guys running on all cylinders for the playoffs, I may well agree with Dierdorf.

Until then, it's 2001 or 2008 for me.

Yes because we've seen the 4th down calls work time and time again this season. But, APPARENTLY, the statistics and odds are still in favor of going for it on 4th down. I don't see how because I believe we've only converted two out of the five or six attempts this season.

First of all you can't make decisions in hindsight. Second of all, go back and watch the Indy game. I wish they ran it on 3rd down, but going for it on 4th was THE right move. Plus it worked, the refs gave it a terrible spot, you move on.

You naysayers still can't grasp the fact that the Colts EASILY scored at the HARD part of the field. How the heck does giving it to them on the EASY part of the field make it much more likely they don't score?

The question is HOF QB chance to gain 2 yards or inexperienced, hurting (we lost 2 defensive starters to injury that game) and gassed defense chance to stop Peyton from going from his 30 to our 30. Which would you put your money on?

Last edited:

We've lost a couple games that we would've won if BB would've taken the Field Goal for 3 points instead of going for it.

The Miami game I agree, I wish he took the 3 in that game.

I hate Dierdorf but he might have something when he says this might be the best coaching job in Belichick's tenure as a head coach in the NFL.

He said this is a team with less talent than BB ever had yet keeps this team in contention.

I would say the 2006 team was Bill's best coaching job...after all the team almost got to the SB with Reche Caldwell as the #1 WR and practically had guys off the streets take over an injury depleted secondary so I would put 2006 at the top with 2005 and this year in a close tie for second and 2001 after that.

I can't agree, so far.

I thought 2008 was a masterful job. BB took a team without TB for the entire season, and with crap for CBs, and went 11-5 and was one of the best teams in the NFL at the end of the season. No one would have wanted to face the Pats in the playoffs last year. We ended the season 5-1, losing only to the eventual SB champion Steelers, scored 40 points or more 3 times in that stretch, and gave up 7 points in our last 2 games.

I understand the argument that BB is winning this year with an inexperienced OC, a sub-par TB, injuries to the OL and RBs, and an inexperienced defense. But this team has been more inconsistent than any Pats team in recent memory, and is still struggling with the same issues (red zone execution, killer instinct, closing out games, second half scoring, and winning on the road) that were a problem at the beginning of the season. And arguable TB and the secondary have gotten worse, not better, as the season has gone on. Those aren't typical of BB teams. I find it hard to believe that he's done his best job given those struggles.

Now if we win out from here on, I'll change my tune.

IF what bildorf said is true, then the following is also true: (1) BB delegates all responsbility for game-planning and in-game adjustments to his coordinators; and (2) these coordinators are terrible coaches. Since delegating to idiots is bad management, I have to disagree with bildorf's assessment. In other words, either BB is responsible for the poor adjustments and game-planning, or he is delegating to known idiots. Either way, BB should not be praised.

Also terrible record on the road, and always having 4th Qtr issues for an entire season. Not good, and havent had any adjustments made to fix either problem really.

Also some terrible Offensive playcalling. I dont know who's doing the calls, but ultimately even if it's OReilly BB is still the one who put him in charge

Oreilly :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye