PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Didnt Brady take less cash.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

R_T26

Banned
Reaction score
so the Patriots can sign their own players. I wonder what he thinks about what gone down so far.

R_T26 said:
so the Patriots can sign their own players. I wonder what he thinks about what gone down so far.

A caller mentioned that last week on WEEI. The consensus was it wouldn't bother him. But, if some mediocre QB got signed to a big deal than that may gnaw at him a little. Who knows. I'm not even a millionaire and I know money isn't everything.

Last edited:
R_T26 said:

Brady never took one cent less to stay in New England. He restructured his contract so he got more money up front and they wouldn't have to spread the money out long term. Quarterbacks do this all the time. Peyton Manning did it. The thinking that Brady took less money to play in New England is the biggest misconception going. He never took less money. Not one cent. If you don't believe me, e-mail the Patriots directly and they'll tell you the exact same thing I told you. I know they will for a fact because I already e-mailed them with this same exact question earlier in the year and even they say Brady never took less money to stay in New England.

R_T26 said:

Brady got the best deal ever for a QB at the time of his deal (maybe Carson Palmer surpassed) if you looks at the amount of guaranteed money.

Brady got the best deal ever for a player at the time of his deal who had 2 years left on this deal. Maybe Carson Palmer's 2005 extension surpassed.

Would Brady get a better deal today if he was an UFA today?? Sure, but he was able to pass on the injury risk to the Patriots 2 years earlier.

Brady would of been a FA next year, how much do you think he would of gotten from Snyder. The bonus alone would make up for waiting the extra 2 years.

It's a moot point because we'll use the money either to sign guys from this point forward, re-sign our own guys or use the LTBE incentive to carry the money over to next year and spend it then.

R_T26 said:
Brady would of been a FA next year, how much do you think he would of gotten from Snyder. The bonus alone would make up for waiting the extra 2 years.

That depends on whether or not he suffered a career-ending rotator cuff injury during that 2 years. The risk of injury, and who assumes it (team or player) should never be far from anybody's mind when thinking about NFL contracts. Getting a big guanteed bonus shifts the injury risk from the player to the team. Doing that two years earlier has very significant financial value.

I suspect that the real gurus (like Pioli and the better, more business-minded agents) are able to assign an actual dollar value to guaranteed versus non-guaranteed money.

I thought Brady did take a hometown discount because other QB's like P Manning and Vick had more guaranteed money/bonuses than he did.

InBillITrust said:
I thought Brady did take a hometown discount because other QB's like P Manning and Vick had more guaranteed money/bonuses than he did.

It is difficult to compare Brady and Manning's deals because Brady had two relatively "low-cost" years left on his prior contract. Manning was a free agent. Those existing "low-cost" years have to be factored into Brady's contract as they would bring down the "average per year" of the deal.

Look at it this way. You want to sell me a half-dozen roses. The market price for roses today is $3 each. So, if I walk in off the street (a free agent), you are going to charge me $18 for six roses.

But, let's say that you and I have an existing contract that calls for you to sell me two roses for $1.00 each. So, now you are only going to charge me $14 for the six roses: (four at the market price of $3 each and two at the previously negotiated $1 each).

I don't believe that Brady gave the Pats a "home-town" discount. Could he have gotten even more if he had played out his contract injury-free and hit free agency? Sure. A player almost always squeezes out the absolute biggest dollar going to a crappy team in free agency. But, that doesn't mean that Brady accepted a bargain-basement deal from the Pats. His contract was fair to both sides -- a win-win deal. He recognized the dollar value in shifting two-years of injury risk from his sore shoulder to the Patriots.

Last edited:
Miguel said:
Brady got the best deal ever for a QB at the time of his deal (maybe Carson Palmer surpassed) if you looks at the amount of guaranteed money.

Oops, I meant to say money received in the 1st 3 years of the contract.

Michael said:
I'm not even a millionaire and I know money isn't everything.

That's just what us poor folk say to make ourselves feel better. :D

R_T26 said:

If he played for Snyder he'd have more short term money, but wouldn't be hosting Saturday Night Live, been SI's Sportsman of the Year or been interviewed by George Stephanopolous on national TV regarding his future political career.

He'll make much more money playing for the Patriots over the long-haul. People with short term attentions don't understand that.

Roses???

hwc said:
It is difficult to compare Brady and Manning's deals because Brady had two relatively "low-cost" years left on his prior contract. Manning was a free agent. Those existing "low-cost" years have to be factored into Brady's contract as they would bring down the "average per year" of the deal.

Look at it this way. You want to sell me a half-dozen roses. The market price for roses today is $3 each. So, if I walk in off the street (a free agent), you are going to charge me $18 for six roses.

But, let's say that you and I have an existing contract that calls for you to sell me two roses for $1.00 each. So, now you are only going to charge me $14 for the six roses: (four at the market price of $3 each and two at the previously negotiated $1 each).

I don't believe that Brady gave the Pats a "home-town" discount. Could he have gotten even more if he had played out his contract injury-free and hit free agency? Sure. A player almost always squeezes out the absolute biggest dollar going to a crappy team in free agency. But, that doesn't mean that Brady accepted a bargain-basement deal from the Pats. His contract was fair to both sides -- a win-win deal. He recognized the dollar value in shifting two-years of injury risk from his sore shoulder to the Patriots.

Instead of roses
you mean drills, or hammers...

right?

Since the Pats are always at the cap on opening day, if Brady left money on the table, he knows it is going to his teammates salary.

What we know is that the Pats will all the available resources to put the best team they can on the field.

It is fair to say that Brady has been very well paid and that he has a big cap hit for us this year.

patriotsrule said:
Brady never took one cent less to stay in New England. He restructured his contract so he got more money up front and they wouldn't have to spread the money out long term. Quarterbacks do this all the time. Peyton Manning did it. The thinking that Brady took less money to play in New England is the biggest misconception going. He never took less money. Not one cent. If you don't believe me, e-mail the Patriots directly and they'll tell you the exact same thing I told you. I know they will for a fact because I already e-mailed them with this same exact question earlier in the year and even they say Brady never took less money to stay in New England.

Is this what's in store for Seymour and Branch?

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2005/05/08/brady_connects_on_a_long_one/

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2005/07/27/sports/s042106D12.DTL

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/saints/2006-03-14-brees_x.htm

http://www.nypost.com/sports/jets/62063.htm

Did Brady get the best deal?

Here are some comparisons:

Tom Brady (2005): 6-year $60 Million contract with $14 million signing and $12M roster bonus
Alex Smith (2005): 6-year $50 million contract with a $24 million signing bonus
Drew Brees (2006): 6-year $60 million, $10 bonus first year and $20 million second year
Chad Pennington (2004): 7-year $64 M, $22 M signing bonus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back