PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Did you want Mark Ingram in the draft?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did want Ingram, and still have some envy. But I had both Leshoure and Vereen on my board, too, so I'm good with how things worked out. And in any case I love the Solder pick, so no sour grapes. It is worth mentioning that of Leshoure, Vereen and Ingram, Ingram is the only one that's been healthy and productive so far.

I wouldn't say Ingram has been productive. He had 2.9 YPC in preseason and 3.1 last night. That's terribad efficiency.

I wouldn't say Ingram has been productive. He had 2.9 YPC in preseason and 3.1 last night. That's terribad efficiency.

In his junior year Ingram was off the charts incredible as a runner. However he took an awfully long time to recover from knee surgery and when he came back last year, he was not the same runner. He was missing some giddyup.

I did not have Ingram on my mock last year, but I did have Ridley, but only because Ridley plays ST.

Going into the draft I didn't particularly want him. I like BJGE as the starter, and I thought Ingram would go earlier than he did. But once he fell into our laps @ 28 I was definitely calling for him from a value standpoint.

Did I want Mark Ingram in the draft? Hell no, I didn't want ANY RB in the first 3 rounds.

RBs are a Dime a Dozen. As others have astutely noted, why spend precious top-100 capital on a position that has prob. the shortest shelf-life in football, unless the player is a perennial All-Pro talent or fills a gaping hole on a roster (which I still don't believe the Pats had - look at all the UFA RBs who were/are available).

Did I want Mark Ingram in the draft? Hell no, I didn't want ANY RB in the first 3 rounds.

RBs are a Dime a Dozen. As others have astutely noted, why spend precious top-100 capital on a position that has prob. the shortest shelf-life in football, unless the player is a perennial All-Pro talent or fills a gaping hole on a roster (which I still don't believe the Pats had - look at all the UFA RBs who were/are available).

I'm about halfway to where you are -- I don't start looking RB until about pick 50, so I was fine with Vereen at 56. But it would be interesting to choose an an appealing pair of RBs drafted after 100 and see how they end up comparing to Vereen & Ridley.

Delone Carter & Jamie Harper seems like a good set of comps, though they may have been too close to Ridley's draft position to really make the point. How about Da'Rel Scott and Anthony Allen? Both passed my "in order for a new RB to be an upgrade" screen pre-draft, yet were available late.

I liked and wanted Ingram but not in the 1st or even 2nd round, but I also knew he wouldnt make it out of the 2nd. My hopes were for Vereen.

I only want a RB in the first if he's the next Adrian Peterson or Chris Johnson.

There's really no reason for this team to take any RB in the first round, especially as long as Brady is here. The offense is always going to be pass heavy with Brady. The league is trending towards a glorified 7 on 7 passing camp. When you have Tom Brady and the current NFL rules, the value of a guy like Adrian Peterson in your backfield just isn't the same as the value of AP in the backfield for a QB like Ponder or even McNabb.

Plus you add in the fact that RB's have the shortest shelf life in the game and they are a dime a dozen. There are always late round guys and undrafted guys that can come in and be productive for you. If you can get a guy like MJD in the 2nd round, you have to consider it.

However I wouldn't mind seeing this team spend a first rounder on a WR for Brady. This receiving corps still lacks some electricity. Spending a first round pick on a guy like Harvin, Britt, Nicks, or trading up for a guy like AJ Green or Alshon Jeffery (assuming the cost is fairly reasonable) is something I'd like to see. Belichick has been pretty bad at drafting WR's in the 2nd and 3rd rounds -- Tate, Jackson, Bethel Johnson. The only one he hit on was Branch and that was back in 2002 -- 9 years ago. The jury is still out on Price.

I love having guys like Branch and Welker who are so reliable, but I'd also like to see Brady have a big-time weapon on the outside for the last few years of his career. A guy like Greg Jennings or Percy Harvin would make this offense even more filthy.

I'm about halfway to where you are -- I don't start looking RB until about pick 50, so I was fine with Vereen at 56.

Yup, the league is a passing league and with FB's used in only a few offenses, the RB has become devalued.

Add in the fact that they usually have very short careers and I could see not using a top 50 pick on a RB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back