PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Did you really think they would get this far?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pats60

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
Tell the truth when the season started did you really believe
they would be in the championship game?
With all the players departing i believed this team had no chance.
Maybe because of seeing the pats from the 60 to 2000 i was brainwashed.

Nice thought. For after the season. We still have 2 more games to win.

During the summer, right after the draft, my cousin and I were talking and he said "Pats will go 12-4 and be super bowl champions." I agreed with him. Nothing has proven him wrong yet.:rocker:

When I saw the schedule I thought it was favorable for them to win their share of games and use the regular season to work on things and get themselves set up for a playoff run.

Absolutely.

As long as BB is the coach, and TB is the qb, without a doubt.

YES...

The Pats didn't win this year's superbowl yet though...

I thought they'd do the same as last year. Win the AFC East, win @ home during Wild Card weekend, then go on the road in the divisional round and lose. I believed this scenario would happen up until the Titans game.

Yes I expected them to win the SB this year. I still do.

I thought they would be 14-2 before the Branch holdout/trade.

12-4 is reasonable given the adjustments they had to make replacing almost all the WR corp.

Yes, and I still believe we will be SuperBowl Champions.

Nope. I thought they'd make the playoffs, and be one and done. It has been a remarkable year.

Remember the very first play on offense, the Brady fumble recovered for the TD against Buffalo? Feels like years ago now.

Ther was NO ONE who posted on this board, at anytime, they
thought that the sky was falling or that we were doomed. Just go back to the September, October, and Novermber threads and you will see I am right.

And, I never had to post this at any time during the season.

panic.gif

I think personally speaking I was waiting for the offense to come together(passing offense). The defense was always there.

I am a firm believer that the team will only go as far as the offense carries them. This was true last week as the offense was sputtering and scored when they needed to.

The offense has come together just in time. I was worried around game 10 and the offense was like pulling teeth, but now it's peaking.

Ther was NO ONE who posted on this board, at anytime, they
thought that the sky was falling or that we were doomed. Just go back to the September, October, and Novermber threads and you will see I am right.

And, I never had to post this at any time during the season.

panic.gif

This is true, the most concerns revolved around the play calling but it looks like it was just developing chemistry with the receivers.

I'm gonna come clean - I officially gave up on them when they were down 8 to Detroit. Sorry, I had a weak moment. Thankfully after that and the loss to Miami they're undefeated.

I'd say no, I hoped but didn't think they'd get this far. It's been a great year I just hope they can finish strong.

Tell the truth when the season started did you really believe they would be in the championship game?
With all due respect, ... of course. Not many folks look at it this way, but probably the best indicator by far of what you can expect from a Belichick team is the 2001 team. This is a team that was not yet anywhere close to a balanced team put together by Belichick and Pioli. And yet, the Patriots won. This speaks volumes about how well Belichick coaches a team and how his teams can never be counted out. That may have been the most masterful coaching job of the three superbowl wins.

Any team that Belichick has had a chance to put together for a year or so is going to have the capability to win a superbowl.

However, there is another thing which I think folks sort of realize but don't quite understand the weight of. And that is, no matter how strong any team is, even a Belichick team, you have to have a significant number of 'breaks' go your way during the regular season in order to get a top record AND this is even moreso the case in the playoffs because it is sudden death elimination. This is what has been so absolutely unbelievable about the Patriots. Even with the strongest team in the NFL, I can't help but believe that the odds are against the team to make it all the way to a superbowl win just because of needing enough breaks to get through 3 or even 4 games with a win each time.

Even the 2004 Patriots team, which was almost certainly the strongest of the 3 superbowl teams, still needed an almost mind boggling number of positive breaks along the way. On the flip side of the coin, I doubt you could find a knowledgable observer who wouldn't say that the Patriots really outplayed Denver last year but had enough of those breaks go against them that they were eliminated. I am convinced that if they had beaten Denver, even with my pessimism about needing breaks, that they would have had an extremely strong likelihood of winning the superbowl having to face the Steelers at home and then a pretty weak Seattle team.

The interesting thing is, as Andy pointed out so well in another thread, that this team is probably stronger as a whole than even the 2004 team. Although the sky is falling folks can't look at it for a second, there are two ways to feel this way. One is just simply statistical performance in almost every category. (The team does not have a many wins, but, again, that's a statistical issue as much as anything. ) But the other thing, which I can't begin to fathom how folks miss, is if you go position by position and player by player, this is a more capable team (or the equal). !! !! !!

It's interesting to go down the list and you have started a good thread that's probably a good place to do this:

Brady (even more experienced and still in his absolute prime), Davey, Miller
Brady, Cassell, Testaverde

Light, Andruzzi, Koppen(2nd yr), Neal, Gorin
Light, Mankins, Koppen, Neal, Kaczur

Graham, Fauria, Hochstein !!!
Watson, Graham, Thomas

Dillon, Faulk, Pass, Abdullah
Dillon, Maroney, Faulk, Evans

Branch, Givens, Patten, Brown (nod to 2004 possibly ? We'll see)
Caldwell, Gaffney, Brown, Jackson

------------------------

Seymour, Traylor !!, Warren, Green, Wilfork (raw rookie) - Seymour was out for the AFCC !!
Seymour, Wilfork, Warren, Green, Wright !

Vrabel, Bruschi, Johnson, McGinest, Banta-Cain, Colvin (off of injury)
Vrabel, Bruschi, Colvin, (Seau), Banta-Cain

Harrison, Wilson, Samuel (2nd year), Gay (undrafted rookie !), Reid, Cherry, Poteat
Hawkins, Sanders, Samuel, Hobbs, Scott

Interesting, eh ??

Before the season began I felt that the schedule indicated an 11 or 12 win season. As it turned out, the strength of schedule was much more difficult than I originally anticipated. Throw in the loss of key players, the failure to sign significant free agents, and the now traditional decimation of the secondary and I think it is amazing that the Pats have made it this far. Kudos to all especially BB on what may be their best effort to date whether or not they win the Superbowl.

Could you please keep your comments down to 5 words or less.

Posts like this one tht you just typed, that are that long are hard for me, at my age, because I never know if I will be breathing long enough to get to the end. Thank you. :D
OK. You are an idiot.

This thread should be conducted while attached to a lie detector.

I said and always thought they had a chance to go all the way.

My biggest concern was LB and Seau filled that. Still good enough, but a somewhat weak link.

I thought they did a good job replacing receivers, though the chemistry was somewhat in doubt until recently, (Gaffney).

I did think we would get this far so long as the team stayed relatively healthy and we played the Patriot brand of football - that is solid execution, few mistakes, make the opponent lose the game. Plus we have Brady and BB, always good things to have for a playoff run.

No, I thought they would be one and done like last year.

Last year they were wildly inconsistent: WLWLWLWLWLW. This year, they were shaky but seemed to have more spirit and more consistency. This year's schedule also seemed pretty easy, so it had potential.

But Brady has pretty much sucked this year, and the offense has not come together as it should. I don't know why, but its not just the new guys. He can't throw to Troy or Ben or Corey sometimes. Yes he is the best in the game, and may end up being the best ever, and when he is on he walks on water, but this isn't one of his better years. Though if they win it all, it will be because of his brilliance. I know, but he still has not had a good season.

We seemed to have a great running combo early in the season and then Maroney seemed to disappear. I think Dillon is still fierce, but he is either still injured or didn't heal soon enough to get in condition. I think he has or had a groin injury. There was a very small story after one of the SB wins and Dillon was supposed to go to the Pro-Bowl as a replacement. And the story said he failed the physical due to a groin injury. I have never seen anything about it again. But I can't see Belichick allowing a player to be out of shape, unless he is nursing or recovering from an injury.

The O-line was really good, and then started to have problems, and has been going up and down.

We stopped the run on D, but then we didn't. The secondary is patchwork and banged up, and Rodney is out again. Tedy and Sey seemed to be having a sub-par season. Seau was good after a while, but then he was gone.

We seemed to have good kick returns at the start of the season, and then it seems to be around the 20. Ghost has been good, and seems to handle the pressure.

I thought there were several games where we were out coached. And no I don't mean the OC. I mean anything that happens on that field is a BB product, and they seemed to come out with poor starting plans. Several times they seemed not to adjust when something wasn't working. I don't know why.

I really thought we would die like last year, until they did the Jax, Ten games. Tough, physical, the kind of games they lost earlier in the season to the Jets2 and Miami2. I had more hope after those games, but still thought they wouldn't be able to put it all together.

Now who knows, but I think they have ignored their problems and weaknesses, and injuries and worked really, really hard to get here. Almost on character alone.

Last edited:

The short and sweet answer: No.

I thought we would go 11-5 and be one and done in the playoffs.

I'd be AMAZED to see this team go into another Superbowl after my impressions headed into the season.

This game tomorrow will be a huge game in the history of this franchise. Go Patriots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes