Welcome to PatsFans.com

Did World War III Just Start?

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by maverick4, Jul 13, 2006.

1. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

Are we witnessing the start of WW3?

I fear that 50 years from now, history books inscribed on cave walls will describe what is happening right now as the start of the 3rd World War.

It would be similar to how WWII started in the 1930's, but the citizens at the time were not aware of what was about to happen, when it wasn't called a World War yet.

My questions:
    1. Is it possible?
    2. What countries/organizations would be on each side?
    3. What do you predict will happen?
    4. Any solutions?

Last edited: Jul 13, 2006
  2. Mainefan

Mainefan Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

I think not, but it's not impossible. It depends on what Iran and Syria do. I don't think they're going to get involved, but I wouldn't want to bet my last dollar on it.

I do not believe that Europe, Russia or China would get directly militarily involved in anything happening in the Middle East, although all would make very nasty noises, amounting to telling Israel to cease fire, and, oh yes, the Arabs might do well to return the kidnapped soldiers.

More likely, the heavy military action we're seeing today will die down in a few days, there'll be some negotiations, Israel will release some prisoners and get its soldiers back. I don't think the major powers will let this one go on indefinitely.

But...you make a very good point, Maverick. If you read the newspaper headlines in the 1930s, in chronological order, it's absolutely obvious that WW II was on the way. It was pretty clear to some people even then, among them Winston Churchill and Franklin Roosevelt.

It would comfort me a great deal if I saw any national leaders of this caliber around, but our current leaders are midgets by comparison.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2006
  3. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

:( I could definitely see the Russians locking down the Caspian Basin and re-occupying the former Soviet countries around it.

The Chinese, as always, will not enter a foreign conflict beyond its borders. They can do massive damage economically if they have to. They will not tolerate any future action in the Korean Peninsula beyond re-unification.

The real wild card is the uneasy truce between India and Pakistan.

This is all because of the reckless venture into Iraq and the resulting instability in the region. If we had simply concentrated our efforts on finding Bin Ladin and rooting out AQ, we wouldn't be witnessing the early phases of any of these conflicts. If Bush had any ability or inclination to conduct diplomacy whatsoever, many of these issues would be diffused by now. He had his chance to become one of the greatest presidents in history after WTC, and he has wasted it.

And here we are... :(

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2005
  4. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I think you would need at least 2 Superpowers to be engaged in direct combat against each other for it to be considered WWIII. So even if the US got involved, it still wouldn't be a "World War" unless we started mixing it up with Russia or China.

5. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +739 / 17 / -19

#24 Jersey

Unfortunately this time we're playing with much more dangerous guns. Maybe I should go out and have a good time with that retirement money . . . and not worry about my diet anymore ;)

6. gomezcat

gomezcat It's SIR Moderator to you Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

I agree. World War 3 wouldn't be likely to start over this. When it comes down to it, the big Arab nations will remember that Israel has a well trained, battle hardened, well equipped military. They will probably stay clear of this one (and if they don't, I will be doing an editing job on this). Strange as it may seem for a liberal, I want to see Israel prevail. I prefer them to the likes of Hezbollah, Iran and so on.

7. Blue Collar

Blue Collar 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Welcome to democracy. Palenstinians elected Hamas.Lebanese elected Hezbollah. Is this democracy flourishing in the mid-east:scared:

8. Pats726

Pats726 Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

This was a question from Fox..CNN??? (I believe...)
    1---Could be...in time if it isn't controlled...
    2---Not sure...US on one side...and????? But who knows...
    3---Not sure...depends on what/how Bush responds...
    4---I think the senate should send special envoys to see what they can do...Pres Carter, Bush and Cllinton should be used as well...in ME...immediately...BUT with Bush, Hill, the G8 and??? a far cry from what is needed to be done..

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2005
  9. Mainefan

Mainefan Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Gomezcat, I don't think it's strange at all that you prefer Israel. Maybe it's because of the symphony orchestras or the world-famous musicians. Perhaps it's the high-level Israeli literature. Maybe it's the great universities.

I came across this the other day, and it's worth tossing into this discussion:

"Even those abroad who closely follow events in Israel are often shocked to hear that Israel has more companies listed on Nasdaq than does any country outside of North America, that there are more high-tech start-ups, engineers, scientific publications and R&D spending per capita in Israel than anywhere else, and that Israel has more U.S. registered patents than China, Russia and India combined. This would be remarkable for any country, yet for one the size of New Jersey that is home to barely seven million people, it is nothing short of miraculous."

Anyhow, I'm not surprised that you favor Israel. It obviously wants to contribute to the betterment of humanity. For all you can say about the Arabs, that impulse is sometimes difficult to find.

10. gomezcat

gomezcat It's SIR Moderator to you Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

There may be an element of that, but I fear Wahabi'ism, proponents of Sharia Law and people whose governments execute people for their sexuality. Iran is a prime example of this:

http://hrw.org/english/docs/2005/11/21/iran12072.htm

I'll take Zionist zealotry over that, any day.

11. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +370 / 10 / -14

The war has been on since the 60's we were too busy with the Soviet Union to notice and thought it had to do with just Israel. The Saudi's have poured billions into Madrasas around the world to spread the Whabbi sect of Islam. here is a link to the spirtual godfather of Islamism. He founded the Islamic brotherhood.

http://www.icna.org/tm/greatmuslim3.htm

12. Pats726

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

What is interesting is all of a sudden this is part of the right wing talking points..from Gingrich to O'Reilly...to all of them...I think many want that!!!

13. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

You better believe it. These hard-core relious monsters are very happy with the possibility of Armegeddon and the rapture following. There's plenty of good religious people who want no part of the rapture because its really gonna suck...especially when the prophesy turns out to be bulls--t.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 22, 2005
  14. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,815 / 35 / -29

#87 Jersey

The date you need is 9/11/2001.

The towers were attacked to provoke America into a war
    they hoped would turn into Jihad...they are still trying and
    getting ever more desperate.

America then Israel...all that's left is for one of them to drop a nuke
    and it will be WWIII at it's apex.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 22, 2005
  15. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +995 / 2 / -9

Following 9/11 liberals were slobbering all over each other telling us not to offend Muslims, watch how fast that changes now.

All Muslims are not Terrorist Savages
    But Most Terrorist Savages are Muslims
    Of course the batty liberal will deny it.

16. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +494 / 20 / -17

Newt Gingrich has already urged Bush to call this WWIII, saying frankly that it would help Repubicans in November. I think the administration will have to stir the world pot a little harder if it wants to try to reverse that trend. And, Bush just might (afte all, a Democratic Congress would surely expose the cronyism and corruption in the Bush administration -- they can't let that happen). Let's face it, Bush is just about as much of a nut as the leaders of Iran and Syria, but at least he's on our side and somewhat constrained by our Constitution even in the absence of Congressional oversight.

17. FreeTedWilliams

FreeTedWilliams pfadmins PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +515 / 49 / -7

#75 Jersey

Info Please counts twenty armed conflicts currently ongoing, AMAZINGLY in almost every case one side is a muslim terrorist group!!!

Some people may not think this is a global war, but the muslims terrorists do.

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0904550.html

18. Pats726

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

Yes...that is the talking point WWIII!!! I am not sure people will buythat now..the Americans are pretty dumb and will swallow a LOT of BS..suckers are born every minute here..and I never undrestimate the stupidity...BUT I frankly think many have caught onto his game...and trying to stretch this into WWIII is a WEEEE BIT FAR!!!! Trying to politicize it even more will fail..and trying to expand the violence as some Repuibs want will look even worse. Bush is quiet and out of the picture..DOING nothing..hoping his lower profile will help poll numbers..which it will not..(The stupid insnae remarks just show him to what a boob he is..YES it is 800 miles for putin to go to..Russia IS a big country Mr W....)
    And the fact that many see this as a Biblical prophecy is down right SCARY!!! Having a President that sees that..who MAY in fact be causing it makes one really wonder..(heheheheh,,the Rapture...the Iraq war..God told me to invade...the Nukes...I see it..out of my hands...) Yes..it is scary when one thinks the leader of the free world may be bringing on Armagedden and MANy zealots will be cheering him on.. SORRY..I am NOT with him or those that see that possibility adn will MAKE it happen..

19. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +995 / 2 / -9

If a Slobbering Babbling democrat gets elected president in 2008 then the Liberals will call it WWIII and they will all join the army to fight in it and they will demand that the NEO CONS join them in the War On Terrorist Muslims.

Imagine sending Al Franken out to "kill a muslim" :singing:

20. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +739 / 17 / -19

#24 Jersey

:eek:

Sometimes I wonder if the anti-Bush crowd realizes just how stupid they sound. Bush may not be the smartest guy around but to call him as much of a nut as that Iranian dude is just ridiculous :bricks:

As for WW III, I'm sure I'm not the only one who turns on the news every morning wondering if they'll be covering some middle east nuke (not dropped by us).