PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Did we clinch the division today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why is it esoteric for JAX, DEN and the JETS to win out, and the PATS lose?
JAX has NE and KC
DEN has CIN and SF
JETS have MIA and OAK
NE has JAX and TENN
Everyone would be 10-6, and we would be the odd team out

Magic number is 1.

There are scenarios where 10-6 wouldn't get us in the playoffs, but they are a bit esoteric.

JAX has NE and KC
DEN has CIN and SF
JETS have MIA and OAK
NE has JAX and TENN

The fact is if we win next week..or if by some grace of gawd the Jests lose to Miami (which I don't see happening)......we clinch the AFC East...right???

The fact is if we win next week..or if by some grace of gawd the Jests lose to Miami (which I don't see happening)......we clinch the AFC East...right???

Correct... Lets just beat the Jags, if dont than we can worry about pie X 2 or that other mumbo jumbo..

JAX has NE and KC
DEN has CIN and SF
JETS have MIA and OAK
NE has JAX and TENN

I think you're right, but am not sure. Head to head is not the first tie breaker in a multi-team wild card tie. But even so, I would define any scenario in the NFL in which seven things all have to go against you to be a bit esoteric.

Plus, you're leaving out a whole host of scenarios -- DEN has to beat CIN, in which case CIN could easily go 2-1, and then be another team at 10-6. Once you add a team that you've beaten into the mini-conference for purposes of determining multi-team tie breakers, your chances go up. I'm not sure how we fare in a 5-way playoff.

The way to get it done is to win.
Who here wants us to go to the playoffs if we lose 2 and the Jets crash by losing 1 of 2? If we back into the playoffs doggie style, I'll have no faith in the team's sustaining ability. I think we're better than that so I want the Jets to win, get a worse draft pick and the Pats to get the AFCE crown the old fashioned way. EARN it.

While I guess I agree with these sentiments somewhat, what I want is to win the superbowl. The way to become one of the 12 teams that has a chance to do that is to get into the playoffs.

I believe that with every week that goes by, we heal a little better. So going in backwards, forwards, sideways, or any other ways does not really matter that much to me at all. I want to get in. If we lose to 2 in a row will I have faith in the team? Well, probably not. Truth is that I don't think we're good enough right now to win 4 in a row against good teams, whether we win lose or tie the next 2 games. But anything can happen on any given Sunday, so if we and the Jets both lose next week, that's just fine with me, albeit not ideal.

conf record comes before common opponents which the jets will win

That's not true, according to NFL.com, the tie-breakers within a division are as follows:

1. Head-to-head (best won-lost-tied percentage in games between the clubs).
2. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the division.
3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games.
4. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
5. Strength of victory.
6. Strength of schedule.
7. Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
8. Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.
9. Best net points in common games.
10. Best net points in all games.
11. Best net touchdowns in all games.

Yes, there are scenarios in which we could lose both games and miss the playoffs, but the probability is small.

If you think positively, it is still possible to skip the first round altogether and get a bye. This would happen if we win both games and finish 12-4, Indy loses two of three (Cinn tonight is a possibility for one loss and Miami may be another on their last game) to finish 11-5 and Baltimore loses their remaining games (at Pitt and Buffalo) to also finish 11-5.

That's not true, according to NFL.com, the tie-breakers within a division are as follows:

5. Strength of victory.
6. Strength of schedule.
7. Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
in that case the common games would be tie...we lose to tenn and jets lost to chi.
if this wasnt the case, they wouldve awarded the div to the pats by now ..

Yes, there are scenarios in which we could lose both games and miss the playoffs, but the probability is small.

If you think positively, it is still possible to skip the first round altogether and get a bye. This would happen if we win both games and finish 12-4, Indy loses two of three (Cinn tonight is a possibility for one loss and Miami may be another on their last game) to finish 11-5 and Baltimore loses their remaining games (at Pitt and Buffalo) to also finish 11-5.

may your words come true.

From NFL.COM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/9817776
Updated Dec. 18

AFC EAST DIVISION
New England can clinch division title with:
1) NE win or tie, OR
2) NYJ loss or tie.

(If Indianapolis defeats Cincinnati Monday night)

New England can clinch playoff berth with:

1) CIN/DEN tie.

i.e
(If the Pats don't win the Division, they probably won't make the playoff's)

conf record comes before common opponents which the jets will win

No, common opponents comes first. If we lose out and the Jets win out we tie them in common games (8-4). Then it comes down to conference and the Jets beat us there.

From NFL.com:

TO BREAK A TIE WITHIN A DIVISION
If, at the end of the regular season, two or more clubs in the same division finish with identical won-lost-tied percentages, the following steps will be taken until a champion is determined.

Two Clubs
5. Strength of victory.
6. Strength of schedule.
12. Coin flip.

Bob G

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes