Did the LOLphins lie to Darius Butler?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctpatsfan77

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Per the Sun-Sentinel, they did:

It's no secret the Miami Dolphins needed cornerbacks. The father of Connecticut cornerback Darius Butler believed the Dolphins were ready to pick his son, but when pick No. 25 arrived the Dolphins chose another defensive back, Illinois' Vontae Davis.

"The Dolphins gave him a promise that they'll take him if he's around at [the 25th pick]," Mitchell Butler III said hours before the draft started on Saturday, adding that Darius Butler had received that promise from Dolphins brass.

But getting the opportunity to play the Dolphins twice a season makes Butler want to prove that they were wrong.

Oops. :popcorn:

I'd love to hear it from Darius. He should start both dolphin games

I do not undrstand what the Dolphins have to gain by doing that? Maybe the father misunderstood what was really said.

I think the Dolphins didn't expect Vontae to last that long. And I believe the Pats took Butler between Vontae and their Sean Smith pick.

I think the Dolphins didn't expect Vontae to last that long. And I believe the Pats took Butler between Vontae and their Sean Smith pick.

Ouch! Very short sighted on the part of the Dolphins. BP should know better.

Ouch! Very short sighted on the part of the Dolphins. BP should know better.

BP has been known to bend the truth but so has BB. Never believe any pre-draft promises unless you've got your name inked to a contract, ala Stafford.

phins new the pats wanted him, and tried to force the pats to use their 23rd on him.

pats didnt take the bait and it worked out for us.

Darius Butler seems to have "IT" in terms of a CB hes confident, got good swagger but still seems level headed and a hard worker. Ellis my man you better step it up. The training camp CB battle should be intense

I agree that Vontae Davis is probably the reason they didn't take Butler since Davis was projected to go in the teens.

Another reason could be that they knew the Pats liked Butler and figured they might wait to the second round to take him. If the Pats wanted him and were expecting to take him 34th, finding out that he would be drafted 25th would force them to consider taking him at 23.

phins new the pats wanted him, and tried to force the pats to use their 23rd on him.

pats didnt take the bait and it worked out for us.

Oops you beat me to it. But the Pats didn't have to take the bait since Vontae Davis dropped anyway. Since no CB had come off the board by the time the Pats were on the clock, the odds that Butler was going to slide into the second round had increased exponentially.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes