PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Did the JEST win guarantee an uncapped 2010?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctpatsfan77

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Bob and Jonathan Kraft were among the big movers to get the current CBA signed.

The JEST would be the biggest losers if 2010 is uncapped.

The Patriots would benefit from leaving the JEST in the lurch.

So why should the Pats do the JEST any favors?

DO people not see what will happen. The uncapped year is one year. We will hear that the pats cant sign anyone because the financial climate will change and they cant commit not knowing what a future cba will look like. It will go like the bruins before the strike. Jonathan kraft said himself this week, that Its too tough to stay competitive.

DO people not see what will happen. The uncapped year is one year. We will hear that the pats cant sign anyone because the financial climate will change and they cant commit not knowing what a future cba will look like. It will go like the bruins before the strike. Jonathan kraft said himself this week, that Its too tough to stay competitive.

"It's not scary at all to us,'' Patriots owner Robert Kraft said of the possibility of playing without a salary cap next year. "There are a lot of pluses to it. It's definitely not a doomsday scenario, and it might have to happen to get things right. I hope it's the vehicle to get us a deal. I hope it's the ultimate hammer.''

The NFL now has the very real threat of a work stoppage in 2011. - Don Banks - SI.com

Last edited:
That article was from march when JK was using scare tactics. Im talking about a convo this week with the idea of no cba immediately on the horizon.

That article was from march when JK was using scare tactics. Im talking about a convo this week with the idea of no cba immediately on the horizon.

Not having heard the interview in question, I can't say anything about it specifically. I don't think Kraft wants the salary cap to go away permanently, but I also don't think he's just going to turtle up if 2010 is uncapped.

Not having heard the interview in question, I can't say anything about it specifically. I don't think Kraft wants the salary cap to go away permanently, but I also don't think he's just going to turtle up if 2010 is uncapped.

he wont totally turtle but he did say they'd have to be careful and not get locked into any big contracts.

The Pats are set up to make moves if there is an capped year or an uncapped year. The Pats will be around $40-50 million under the cap if there is one are the start of the football year and they are even more under it in 2011. That means them making moves are not hurt by the uncertainty of a new CBA after they sign players because they have tons of cap flexibility no matter what.

The Pats will not spend stupidly like the Redskins might, but the Pats have already set themselves up to be active players in free agency. They will make moves and a lot of them. They just won't make stupid crazy, deals that could screw up their cap in the future. But I doubt there willbe many if any teams who will.

I think far more teams will be taking advantage of no cap floor than no cap ceiling. I expect the Pats to benefit from this free agency cap or no cap.

You mean the one which has been totally twisted by the media from the Pats will not not make stupid acquisitions that could come back to haunt them to the Pats won't be making moves for any good free agents because and will make excuses from the cap.

The fact of the matter is currently, the Pats' real dollar pay roll is something like $30-40 million less than their lowest payroll over the last five years and $60 million less than the highest real dollar payroll they have had in the last five years. They only have a cap charge of $94 million and the expected cap if there is a new cap is in $130-$135 million range. The Pats have plenty of money to spend before they even have to be considered cheap in an uncapped year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down